• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

can you convert a dcc train to run non dcc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VEP3417

basically i have no idea about dcc or sound chips or anything like that :lol: but i bought a 73 that has all that fitted but the seller said
"There is a DCC chip, but I can't get my ESU unit to read it" (... sound unit?) there appears to be a few little wires not connected to anything

so my question is will it run with a normal controller? if not can i some how convert it to run normally, id imagine id have to fit a non dcc wired motor and dummy bogie from another 73? it had p4 scale wheels but ive already swapped them out to 00 scale

as of yet ive not tested it to see if it runs but i could stick a controller on some track to test it, just dont have that set up at the moment

Attachments

• DSCF7576.JPG
    DSCF7576.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF7580.JPG
    DSCF7580.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF7581.JPG
    DSCF7581.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCF7582.JPG
    DSCF7582.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCF7583.JPG
    DSCF7583.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 19
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
You can run DCC-fitted models on DC track, yep - although you can't run DC on DCC without damaging the motor. That DCC decoder looks to be quite a simple removal - just take out that blue plate (don't pull it by the wires, and try not to bend or break the pins) using tweezers and then put a blanking plate in. A blanking plate looks like this:
1623418607234.png
(not my photo)

You'll need an 8-pin plate, like the one in the photo, for that engine as Hornby models take 8-pin decoders.
If it is an ESU sound decoder, I'd recommend either keeping it or selling it on - it might be worth something as high-end sound chips like that go for quite a bit, but I don't know.

-Peter

VEP3417

thanks very useful info, by the looks of it unplugging it also means the cab lights wont work anymore as it seems all wired up to that

now the tricky part finding a correct 8 pin blank seeing as its the first time ive fiddled with /bought that sort of thing

seems a shame to take it all apart considering the trouble someone has gone to to build it :lol:

reddragon

Established Member
basically i have no idea about dcc or sound chips or anything like that :lol: but i bought a 73 that has all that fitted but the seller said
"There is a DCC chip, but I can't get my ESU unit to read it" (... sound unit?) there appears to be a few little wires not connected to anything

so my question is will it run with a normal controller? if not can i some how convert it to run normally, id imagine id have to fit a non dcc wired motor and dummy bogie from another 73? it had p4 scale wheels but ive already swapped them out to 00 scale

as of yet ive not tested it to see if it runs but i could stick a controller on some track to test it, just dont have that set up at the moment
The basics are unplug chip and plug in 8 pin blank plug!! But no lights.

Option 2 is to get the chip programmed to run on DC - CV29 = 4 or 6, if readable! Then it might work.

The lighting at the top can bypass the chip and will have to be wired into the bottom cables and one way diodes inserted into the wire runs to the lights so they work correctly. As they are twin lit, quite a rewire will be needed!

Wiring basics, 1/8 power the motor one side & 4/5 do the other side. 2/3 & 6/7 are somewhat useless on DC, so you need to feed from 1/8 & 4/5 as the power input and use diodes for direction on each pair of lights (red one end / white the other)

NumberColourPurpose
1OrangeMotor RightMR
2YellowRear lightsLR
3GreenAUX1 F3
4BlackRail leftRL
5GreyMotor leftML
6WhiteFront lightsLF
7BlueCommon pos
8RedRail RightRR

Look like a challenge to me (maybe better to try a new chip and it set to DC, a cheap Hornby one! Try a loan one first. That will make it resalable as DCC ready.

VEP3417

thanks thats quite detailed info, i have in the past done a bit of soldering but it seems best to give this to someone who knows what theyre doing by the sounds of it as its a very nice model

or...no lights for the moment might be ok seeing as the 73 is supposed to run between both cars of the 501 sandite unit

reddragon

Established Member
thanks thats quite detailed info, i have in the past done a bit of soldering but it seems best to give this to someone who knows what theyre doing by the sounds of it as its a very nice model

or...no lights for the moment might be ok seeing as the 73 is supposed to run between both cars of the 501 sandite unit
If lucky, it would be 2 diodes on the wires from the plug to the top, wired to each side of power 1/8 & 4/5 via the plug (micro soldering). Easy with very steady hands, special circuit board soldering kit and testing equipment (the old chip failed for a reason). Sound chips btw are £110 each!

VEP3417

i have no actual idea what chips are inside it i was just going by what the advert description but yes someone said i might be able to sell it on but its currently hard wired into the whole loom including the light loom ect

Status
Not open for further replies.