Can you excess to a cheaper ticket?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by mm333, 12 Jul 2019.

1. mm333

mm333 Member

Shipley-London has a Super Off Peak Return for £115.30 which has afternoon peak restrictions. But there’s an Off Peak Return Route Manchester for £115.10 where they are no afternoon peak restrictions on a Friday.

So I had the former and wanted to come home from London at 4pm on a Friday, could I excess to to the Off Peak Return Route Manchester, instead of hanging around at Kings Cross until 6.15?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Does the Super Off Peak have a route restriction?

4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I believe that would be a zero-fare route excess, however good luck trying to get anyone to issue it.

5. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

If the ticket you're excessing from is only restricted by time, then yes. If it's restricted by route or operator then it's not so clear if it's allowed.

6. mm333

mm333 Member

No, it’s Any Permitted

7. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This is actually an example I use at fares workshops.

If you wish to travel at a time that is not permitted by the ticket you hold, then the correct action is to excess the ticket from the ticket type held to the relevant ticket type that allows travel at that time. Note that this is charged at the FULL difference in fares.

If you wish to travel via a route that is not permitted by the ticket held, e.g. if you held a "via Manchester" ticket and wished to travel back via Doncaster, then the excess to the appropriate (ie. cheapest available) ticket type with the correct route. This is charged at HALF the difference in fares.

8. Bletchleyite

So the thing to do would be to buy the route Manchester ticket then excess the outward/return as appropriate to via Doncaster, I guess.

9. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

But the challenge is finding someone who is willing to only excess the relevant portion - I've found staff unwilling to do this, adamant that the full difference be charged.

10. Bletchleyite

I've found more often than not I end up having to pay the full difference and then claim it back from the TOC's customer services, who usually (once they've read it properly) are happy to cough up.

11. MPotter

MPotter On Moderation

I've spoken to an EMT guard who will at least only charge half of the difference. However he did insist on selling an excess ticket of the same type (Off Peak and not Super Off Peak) which I refused to pay. He subsequently asked me to leave the train.