• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can you explain this train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

I am wondering about the nature of the following train:

iv8xeq.png

Z: No on-board refreshments available (this does not state whether there is no shop or a closed shop)
AQ: Arrives at Preston 2310
u: stops to pick up only
The blue shading shows that there is a direct service between the points shaded.

Notice how the departure time from Glasgow Central is the same as from Edinburgh Waverley. The National rail database recognises both the ability to depart Edinburgh at 2010 and Arrive at Lockerbie at 2125 and subsequent stations, and the ability to depart Glasgow at 2010 and Arrive at Lockerbie at 2125 and subsequent stations.

This train terminates at Manchester Piccadilly.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Could two units be joining at Haymarket?

If it is avirgin train two voyagers could be coupling at Haymarket possibly, what is the TOC?

evil_hippo

dvn1357 said:
Could two units be joining at Haymarket?

If it is avirgin train two voyagers could be coupling at Haymarket possibly, what is the TOC?

It is Virgin trains.

Thing is, it is not 5 minutes from Glasgow to Haymarket.

But you have given me a thought. Carstairs is the place where trains traditionally join. Perhaps they are 2 4-car voyagers joining at Carstairs without opening the doors.

It would explain the pick up only at Central.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, but look, the train departs Edinburgh at the same time it departs Glasgow.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
But you have given me a thought. Carstairs is the place where trains traditionally join. Perhaps they are 2 4-car voyagers joining at Carstairs without opening the doors.

It would explain the pick up only at Central.
Yep. After all you can't get off a train at it's origin ;)

As for no shop, that's the new policy for late trains. (It's closed, obviously).

As for Preston, waiting at stations for quarter of an hour is an example of VXC slack time. Also note the slack time between Wigan and Man Picc.

Why it doesn't call at Carstairs, I do not know. It may be possible to get on/off if they unlock the doors, but I wouldn't risk it ;)

Coxster

Established Member
Does it matter if it has no shop or a closed one? They both mean you can't buy anything anyway!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
Does it matter if it has no shop or a closed one? They both mean you can't buy anything anyway!
I guess what the Hippo was getting at was if it had no shop at all (not just a closed shop) that would mean it may not be a Voyager.

Sorry, but it will be a Voyager. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.