• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancellation, can I claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyst

The GWR train I was due to travel on last weekend was cancelled - can I claim for this, as it forced me to use the train before the cancelled service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
The GWR train I was due to travel on last weekend was cancelled - can I claim for this, as it forced me to use the train before the cancelled service?

I can't really see a claim being successful - even though you were inconvenienced, you weren't delayed, rendering compensation not payable.

You could email GWR and they may give you some good will, but it all depends on the reason why the original train was cancelled too

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I can't really see a claim being successful - even though you were inconvenienced, you weren't delayed, rendering compensation not payable.

You could email GWR and they may give you some good will, but it all depends on the reason why the original train was cancelled too
Agreed as things currently stand. However, I see no reason why losing an hour at the end of your journey shouldn't be treated (and compensated) in the same way as losing an hour at the beginning of your journey.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Given that there is no explicit contractual right to delay compensation in this case, as it would likely have been if you had departed on the next train instead, I think it is likely to be a case of looking for a gesture of goodwill.

Alternatively, you could make an argument that, if the cancellation was something that was within GWR's control (e.g. a train breakdown), it constituted a lack of reasonable care and skill, entitling you to an "appropriate" amount of refund (whether that be partial or full), under Sections 49, 54 and 56 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, as you lost time in order to ensure an arrival in line with the contractually agreed time.

Given the usual scheme of delay compensation that the TOCs operate, I would be surprised if an "appropriate" amount of compensation were taken to be anything other than the same amount as you would have received in delay compensation, had it been the reverse situation.

If you are unable to sort the matter with GWR informally, you can take the matter to the Rail Ombudsman for independent (though not 100% perfect) arbitration, which is binding on GWR but not on you.

najaB

Veteran Member
Agreed as things currently stand. However, I see no reason why losing an hour at the end of your journey shouldn't be treated (and compensated) in the same way as losing an hour at the beginning of your journey.
I agree, but the barrier to this would be distinguishing between people who genuinely travelled early because they found out about a delay, and those who travelled at the time they intended/wanted to and then claimed because they found out that a later train was cancelled.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I agree, but the barrier to this would be distinguishing between people who genuinely travelled early because they found out about a delay, and those who travelled at the time they intended/wanted to and then claimed because they found out that a later train was cancelled.
No different to the current system, where people with flexible tickets can claim for a delay that they only later look up as having happened (i.e. having either not been delayed, or not even having travelled at all).

najaB

Veteran Member
No different to the current system, where people with flexible tickets can claim for a delay that they only later look up as having happened (i.e. having either not been delayed, or not even having travelled at all).
True, there's always going to be an element of playing the system, but seeing as disruption tends to get worse as the day goes on it seems that there's more opportunity to claim for a later train than an earlier one.

westv

Established Member
Aren't unused flexible tickets refundable anyway?

_toommm_

Established Member
Aren't unused flexible tickets refundable anyway?

Minus the £10 fee (which, interestingly, TheTrainLine doesn't charge, instead taking a % of the ticket now). Passengers can be quids in by claiming for a delay in this way so they get all their money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.