• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancellation of Corfe Castle train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joncombe

I’m led to believe that customer services/twitter team were informed a replacement coach was running from Wareham to Corfe, free of charge, so they are unlikely to reimburse the public bus ticket.

There was nothing about this on Journey check or elsewhere on the SWR website that I could see because I did check. I did not hear any announcements at Wareham and there was nothing on the PIS about a replacement bus. Likewise I asked a member of staff (or volunteer) at Corfe Castle for the return journey and was told that it was cancelled and advised to take the bus instead.

In any case SWR have at least agree to a full refund on my train ticket, but I won't be bothering with it again.

joncombe

I think the need for this service will only become more apparent. Now, just in time for the start of the school holidays, the Sandbanks ferry has been taken out of service for at least a month meaning those wanting to get from the Bournemouth/Poole area to Swanage or Corfe Castle will now need to drive around on the already heavily congested A351 (also used by the buses). The ferry service seems to be becoming more unreliable - it was out of action for a long while at the end of last year/early this year too I seem to recall.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Would someone like WCRC provide a driver and stock to shuttle between Wareham and Swanage 7 days a week if the LA or similar could make it worth their while financially?

island

Veteran Member
In my business a contract is enforceable subject to 'force majeure'.Correct a railway supporter if I am wrong, but a train runs over the network under a contract with NR. It is also expensive
And a ticket is a contract to get you from A to B. They do not guarantee to bring you on a certain train or by a certain time (but compensation under DelayRepay may apply if you are late).

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Would someone like WCRC provide a driver and stock to shuttle between Wareham and Swanage 7 days a week if the LA or similar could make it worth their while financially?
Somebody will always provide something if somebody else will pay!
Whether it would be a good use of a local authority’s over-stretched austerity budget is a slightly different question.

theironroad

Established Member
Somebody will always provide something if somebody else will pay!
Whether it would be a good use of a local authority’s over-stretched austerity budget is a slightly different question.

Leaving aside that said LA gave Swanage Railway £500,000 a few years ago towards running the wareham-swanage service that has failed to materialize so far.

theironroad

Established Member
I think the need for this service will only become more apparent. Now, just in time for the start of the school holidays, the Sandbanks ferry has been taken out of service for at least a month meaning those wanting to get from the Bournemouth/Poole area to Swanage or Corfe Castle will now need to drive around on the already heavily congested A351 (also used by the buses). The ferry service seems to be becoming more unreliable - it was out of action for a long while at the end of last year/early this year too I seem to recall.

Indeed, after its routine refit last year, it developed more issues. The swange motor company who run it are trying to develop a plan to replace it if it can be deemed financially worthwhile.

I see this current failure has lead to it being removed to Southampton for repair, it's going to hit them hard being peak summer season they're going to miss a lot of if 12/8 does happen.

There needs to be a fully timetabled year round Poole to swange rail service , problem is swange railway own the track and then as it's heritage the 25mph needs raising.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Leaving aside that said LA gave Swanage Railway £500,000 a few years ago towards running the wareham-swanage service that has failed to materialize so far.

From what I remember the 33 top and tail was too expensive. The intention is that a 117(?) will be used, there’s 4 coaches in various states at Eastleigh Arlington. To be fair it looks like there’s a set not far off being ready. I recall there being a piece on local news that it has been plagued with issues. Wiring, corrosion etc.

theironroad

Established Member
From what I remember the 33 top and tail was too expensive. The intention is that a 117(?) will be used, there’s 4 coaches in various states at Eastleigh Arlington. To be fair it looks like there’s a set not far off being ready. I recall there being a piece on local news that it has been plagued with issues. Wiring, corrosion etc.

Yeah , swanage railway couldn't afford to do another year of the contracted in service from West Coast (wcrc). I know they had some issues with wheel sets having to be made in South Africa for the 2 DMUs they own and intend upgrading for mainline use, just seems to have taken a very long time....

dgl

Established Member
and the only reason why they did the trial service was because they had to to keep the cash, with most of it being spent (I would guess) the cost of running the service was probably a necessary expenditure.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I believe the unit went empty to Wareham via Southampton and picked up the shuttle from there.

bastien

I believe the unit went empty to Wareham via Southampton and picked up the shuttle from there.
Such a shame, I'd really like do do this journey. But I'm not keen enough to get to Salisbury for 8am on a Saturday with no guarantee the thing is even running.

pompeyfan

Established Member
The whole network seems to be struggling with drivers, but I’d assume only a very small number of drivers are competent on the route via Chetnole etc. I believe there’s a crew change at Weymouth where a Bournemouth crew bring it up and do the shuttles.

Dren Ahmeti

The whole network seems to be struggling with drivers, but I’d assume only a very small number of drivers are competent on the route via Chetnole etc. I believe there’s a crew change at Weymouth where a Bournemouth crew bring it up and do the shuttles.
The crewing issue is not for the Weymouth-Wareham section, rather it’s the Salisbury drivers that sign via Pen Mill that way...

pompeyfan

Established Member
The crewing issue is not for the Weymouth-Wareham section, rather it’s the Salisbury drivers that sign via Pen Mill that way...

Yeah sorry that’s what I was alluding to but didn’t make it very clear. Salisbury are really struggling at the moment for some reason.

SouthernOne

The first Corfe service started at Weymouth on Sat 27th. Service ran as scheduled for the rest of the day. I was one of about a dozen after Weymouth who took the long route back to Salisbury.

I think this service is a great idea to Corfe Castle, however it’s probably better to start this service from Southampton with crews from Bournemouth and maybe run a few more trips during the day.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The first Corfe service started at Weymouth on Sat 27th. Service ran as scheduled for the rest of the day. I was one of about a dozen after Weymouth who took the long route back to Salisbury.

I think this service is a great idea to Corfe Castle, however it’s probably better to start this service from Southampton with crews from Bournemouth and maybe run a few more trips during the day.

No spare SWR DMUs on Saturday for that. The Corfe service is on the back of the Summer bucket and spade service from Salisbury/Gillingham to Weymouth which loads well (when it runs).

The Corfe is just an add on instead of the 159 sitting in the Jersey all day.

TEW

Established Member
The Saturday Weymouth via Salisbury service is now in the timetable to run all year round which I imagine will make it easier with regards to route knowledge, so hopefully it will become more reliable long term.

joncombe

The Sandbanks ferry is now out until October. As a result it seems Dorset Council are trying to implement a huge one-way system between Corfe Castle and Swanage (see https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17803536.one-way-system-sandbanks-ferry-isn-39-t-running/). No idea how this impacts the buses (there is some suggestions it is an advistory one-way system only).

Although the SWR service only runs as far as Corfe Castle anyway I think it gives some idea of the traffic problems in the area in the summer. In my view a through service Wareham to Swanage cannot come soon enough.

The Ham

Established Member
On a macro scale, given the importance of the tourism/leisure industry to the UK, I think the rail industry needs to respect that industry. As we've seen with the decline of our manufacturing industry, some industries are very easy to lift and relocate, i.e. to cheaper Eastern countries. They can't do that with our tourist industry. On a country wide level, the railway industry is heavily subsidised so I think it's perfectly reasonable that an appropriate level of importance is given to rural and tourist services.

Define heavily subsidised.

Although the amount spent by government in railways is high, by far and away the vast amount of this is on rail enhancements or HS2. Once those have been substracted from the overall figure you're left with about £178 million for the day to day running of the trains.

£178 million (although a lot for individuals) is small fry for the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.