• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancellations due to lineside vegetation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambran

Yesterday 1V85 11.33 New street -Banbury was shown as cancelled between Leamington and Banbury due to lineside vegetation, and today some Leamington -Coventrty trains are cancelled for the same reason. As these are and different routes, and other trains are running normally over them I assume this is an error but it seems odd that it has been applied to two different routes operated by different tocs. I can see it might be a reason if vegetation was obscuring a signal, but I wonder what ordinary passengers make of it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
Yesterday 1V85 11.33 New street -Banbury was shown as cancelled between Leamington and Banbury due to lineside vegetation, and today some Leamington -Coventrty trains are cancelled for the same reason. As these are and different routes, and other trains are running normally over them I assume this is an error but it seems odd that it has been applied to two different routes operated by different tocs. I can see it might be a reason if vegetation was obscuring a signal, but I wonder what ordinary passengers make of it.
They're two unrelated incidents. The cancellation of 1V85 yesterday was due to the empty stock striking a tree at Water Orton but today's cancellations are due to a tree in a dangerous condition next to the railway at Coventry, with rotten branches striking passing trains.

Six Bells

A colleague at WMSC reliably informs me that the issue at Coventry was caused by a tree over-hanging the line between Kenilworth and Coventry in the single line section.

Essentially, the tree had to be felled and cut up on site, as it was feared that it would collapse onto the line. The easiest way to do this was to grant a 60 minute line block to deal with the tree, requiring the cancellation of two services.

Status
Not open for further replies.