• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancelled train - appears?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone enlighten me as to what happened here - arrived at Lichfield Trent Valley [LTV] around 1450. The 1401 to Crewe was displayed and announced as delayed. The 1501 cancelled and then it was announced it was replaced by the 1501 which turned up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

Looks like the train from Euston broke down at Northampton but they managed to restart a replacement train from Rugby

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The CIS doesn't seem to cope very well when that happens. A few weeks ago there was the (example, I can't remember the exact train I got home!) 1301 Bletchley cancelled, with the next train being the 1301.

The cincher was when Digital Doris announced: "London Midland are sorry that the 1301 service to Northampton has been cancelled. The next fastest service is the 1301 service to Northampton."

Established Member
The cincher was when Digital Doris announced: "London Midland are sorry that the 1301 service to Northampton has been cancelled. The next fastest service is the 1301 service to Northampton."

That'll be the original train cancelled and a new VSTP schedule put in from somewhere along the route to restart it in the same path. So it is actually correct. It is a different service just running at the same times.

The CIS doesn't seem to cope very well when that happens. A few weeks ago there was the (example, I can't remember the exact train I got home!) 1301 Bletchley cancelled, with the next train being the 1301.

That's what happened here!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It might be technically correct, but it's not passenger friendly. Passengers joining the train don't really need to know where it started.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That'll be the original train cancelled and a new VSTP schedule put in from somewhere along the route to restart it in the same path. So it is actually correct. It is a different service just running at the same times.

If only we still had Lewis Carroll to comment on this lunacy.:)

SPADTrap

Established Member
It might be technically correct, but it's not passenger friendly. Passengers joining the train don't really need to know where it started.

Not passenger friendly to manage to run a replacement? Or have I misunderstood..?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Also happens when TPE services are turned back at Stalybridge due to late running or issues between there and Piccadilly/Victoria. Generally the only chance of getting a seat at Huddersfield too!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I'm aware of that, but it's still quite amusing - passengers ultimately don't know the cause of it, and this lead to quite a lot of smiles on the platform! :D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Not passenger friendly to manage to run a replacement? Or have I misunderstood..?

You have misunderstood. If the replacement is running exactly in the path of the original and is running to time, then it should be displayed as being the original service. Or the original service removed from the PIS. That would be far less confusing.

SPADTrap

Established Member
You have misunderstood. If the replacement is running exactly in the path of the original and is running to time, then it should be displayed as being the original service. Or the original service removed from the PIS. That would be far less confusing.

I'm not sure that is possible?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Also happens when TPE services are turned back at Stalybridge due to late running or issues between there and Piccadilly/Victoria. Generally the only chance of getting a seat at Huddersfield too!

My wife and I were returning from Durham to Manchester Airport some years ago on TPE and despite no warning to passengers being given by the staff on board when we arrived at Manchester Piccadilly ready for the final leg of the journey, there were many in total panic when during the layover, there was an announcement..."The next station will be Huddersfield"

Much hurried disembarkation with airline bound passengers with large items of luggage then ensued. Good way of getting the adrenaline coursing through your system, nonetheless....:D

Ibex

99% of the time this is what happens (for us at LM at least).

You'll have the original train (for arguments sake I'll pick any random train), the 14:49 Euston to Birmingham New Street is 25 minutes late and will terminate at Northampton. It's being restarted with a fresh unit & crew, on-time at 15:55.

A duplicate copy of the original train will be inserted as 15:55 Northampton to Birmingham, the original late service would then be cancelled & hidden on CIS at stations from Northampton onwards.

I can only assume that hiding the original train was overlooked on this occasion because of other happenings in the office.

Howardh

Established Member
If a train breaks down, there could well be family waiting to pick up pax from that train further down the line. I hope those stations would announce where, exactly, those pax are - in so far as if a train brakes down and the pax haven't been disembarked, they could well expect them on the *new* train coming in at roughly the expected time of the broken-down train if the new train started further up the line...

Does that make sense (not sure if it does TBH!!)??

cornishjohn

If a train breaks down, there could well be family waiting to pick up pax from that train further down the line. I hope those stations would announce where, exactly, those pax are - in so far as if a train brakes down and the pax haven't been disembarked, they could well expect them on the *new* train coming in at roughly the expected time of the broken-down train if the new train started further up the line...

Does that make sense (not sure if it does TBH!!)??

Makes sense, and has happened, to me. Was trying to join my mother in law on a Virgin XC service from upcountry that had been curtailed and restarted. Before we both had mobile phones too. She arrived a couple of hours later than expected.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What I think should be sorted is trains just disappearing from departure screens a few minutes after it should have turned up. This lack of suitable information has persisted for too long. It can happen when a train is going to be late due to late arrival, waiting member of train crew etc., at starting point. Sometimes, but not always, in cases such as this an expected delayed time can be manually input but if not, it just disappears. There should be a facility to provide the information to waiting passengers, i.e .instead of just disappearing
say delayed, preferably quoting an estimated timescale or cancelled showing up if that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.