• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancelled train, panicked and bought new ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I had a ticket to travel from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Picc today, and another ticket from there to Hereford. Both are Advances.

En route to Liverpool I checked online and found the 13:16 Northern was cancelled. I quickly established that I could just make the 12:51 EMT train so I hastily bought a ticket for that one and just managed to get on it via the ticket collecting machines. Lucky I did as I wouldn’t have had enough time to get one from the ticket office.

Did I have to do this, or would they have accepted my Northern ticket in the circumstances? The next Northern train would have made me miss my onward connection and it’s an hour until the next one.

As it happens there was no ticket check anyway but as a matter of principle I felt better for having one, but if it happens again should I just board the EMT without buying a new ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Technically no - if you had a Northern Advance, you will have been accepted on the next Northern service. If you had asked the guard before boarding, and explained you had a connection to make, they may have shown some leniency.

If not, then you could of course have claimed delay repay from Northern if the delay turned out to be over 15 minutes, and you would have been accepted on the next TfW to Hereford, as long as the 10 minute connection time was adhered to.

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks for that, it’s pretty much what I thought. Ironically the EMT was delayed too outside of Manchester, but I still made my booked train.

Didn’t really want to be any later getting back, and all the trains seem to be packed as it’s bank holiday weekend.

JBuchananGB

I would think you could claim a REFUND from whoever sold you the Liverpool to Manchester Advance on basis of train cancelled abandoned journey. You may have to return the unused ticket.

paddington

You should be able to refund the Northern ticket without any admin fee, and you can show the EMT ticket as further evidence that you didn't use the Northern one (if it isn't an advance)

trainophile

Established Member
I know it's pathetic but I have just completed the claim for the Northern £1.85, and as I bought it on TPE's website I had to print off their completed claim form and post it (Freepost). I also put in a 15 minute delay claim to EMT, and to finish off the saga I have done the same (15 minutes) for my TfW journey.

So I should get just shy of £6 back altogether. Hardly worth the bother but I thought I might as well.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As the Northern service was cancelled, you can get a refund from the retailer.
Did I have to do this, or would they have accepted my Northern ticket in the circumstances? The next Northern train would have made me miss my onward connection and it’s an hour until the next one.
EMT wouldn't be under any obligation to accept the ticket, unless it would have caused you to miss the last train of the day. But it would be worth asking if you can avoid a delay. If the answer was "no" and the delay resulted in you arriving into your destination one hour late, you would have been entitled to 100% delay compensation for your journey from Liverpool to Hereford.

trainophile

Established Member
I will remember all this for next time, if there is one. It's just lucky I was early enough to make alternative arrangements. The total cost of my journey was £1.85 (Northern LIV-MAN), £4.15 (EMT LIV-MAN) and £11.90 (MAN-HFD), so hardly bank breaking. (All prices include railcard discount.)

Incidentally, for some curious reason I was able to buy an Advance on the EMT half an hour before it was timed to depart from origin, even though according to the NRE page Advances close off at 23:59 the previous day.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I will remember all this for next time, if there is one. It's just lucky I was early enough to make alternative arrangements. The total cost of my journey was £1.85 (Northern LIV-MAN), £4.15 (EMT LIV-MAN) and £11.90 (MAN-HFD), so hardly bank breaking. (All prices include railcard discount.)
You can't double-count the cost of LIV-MAN in the overall cost of a journey from LIV-HFD ;)
Incidentally, for some curious reason I was able to buy an Advance on the EMT half an hour before it was timed to depart from origin, even though according to the NRE page Advances close off at 23:59 the previous day.
NRE is rarely up to date on anything these days.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Did it cost £4.15 (railcard price)? Out of all the East Midlands Railway advances between Liverpool and Manchester, that is the only one (ticket type 2KS) that doesn't seem to have a booking deadline. All the other advance tiers have a deadline of 23:59 the previous day!

boyaloud

If it’s a 16-25 railcard don’t forget tPe advances start at 1.75 from Manchester to Liverpool and always usually lots of availability night before, on tpe’S site click offers and students.

trainophile

Established Member
If it’s a 16-25 railcard don’t forget tPe advances start at 1.75 from Manchester to Liverpool and always usually lots of availability night before, on tpe’S site click offers and students.

I’m afraid I am at the other end of the spectrum, but thanks for the post which I’m sure will be of interest to others.

Did it cost £4.15 (railcard price)? Out of all the East Midlands Railway advances between Liverpool and Manchester, that is the only one (ticket type 2KS) that doesn't seem to have a booking deadline. All the other advance tiers have a deadline of 23:59 the previous day!

That list is unbelievable, so many different options for one short journey. I bet they now “adjust” the one and only no deadline ticket if they see this thread!

trainophile

Established Member
Returning to the original premise of this thread, I just wondered whether, if someone was turning up for the 1316 unaware that it was cancelled, and arrived a minute or two before the 1251 departure, in the circumstances would they be able to buy a ticket on board the EMT, as there was a genuine reason and they could show they had a ticket for the cancelled train?

Status
Not open for further replies.