• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cannot buy 1st class Sheffield to Macclesfield ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlevel42

I will be travelling from Sheffield to Macclesfield infrequently for several months.
Why cannot I buy a ticket to travel first class despite there being first class seating available on TPE and XC trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

miami

Established Member
Because TPE have not set a first class fare.

Apart from a season ticket for £150/week

Do TPE even operate Sheffield to Manchester? I assume Northern don't do first on the edale line, but EMT presumably do.

Sheffield to Stockport is £46.80 return
Stockport to Macclesfield is £17.10 return
Total £63.90

I think this would be cheaper than a through ticket even if one existed based on

Sheffield to wilmslow is £66.10 return
Stockport to wilmslow is £9.10
Splitting at Stockport is £55.90

For a through ticket, Alfreton to Macclrsfield for £89 return looks the best I can find. ALF to Stockport doesn't exist. What a funny route, the train companies simply throw away money.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Apart from a season ticket for £150/week.Do TPE even operate Sheffield to Manchester? I assume Northern don't do first on the edale line, but EMT presumably do.

Yes TPE operate along the Hope Valley line, along with Northern and EMT. Although TPE is the only one which conveys first class.
Sam

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
EMT do not convey First Class accommodation on the Sheffield - Manchester service. EMT do not convey any First Class except on London routes.

TPE are the only one between Sheffield and Stockport to convey First Class accommodation.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Do TPE even operate Sheffield to Manchester? I assume Northern don't do first on the edale line, but EMT presumably do. ....

TPE only operate down that line when they run their Manchester Airport-Cleethorpes service every hour each way.

Central Trains operated a first class service on their Liverpool-Norwich 'Citylink' service, using Class 170 Turbostars, but when the route was given to EMT the 170s went to XC and were replaced by standard only Class 158s (and occasionally Class 156s).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Central Trains operated a first class service on their Liverpool-Norwich 'Citylink' service, using Class 170 Turbostars

They didn't have First, until the 350s on Brum-Northampton (or the brief period of using 321s beforehand) CT was a totally Standard class franchise.

For a while some ex-MML 170s were used, but the 1st was declassified.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
They didn't have First, until the 350s on Brum-Northampton (or the brief period of using 321s beforehand) CT was a totally Standard class franchise.

For a while some ex-MML 170s were used, but the 1st was declassified.

Must be getting old, I was sure they had first class.

miami

Established Member
TPE only operate down that line when they run their Manchester Airport-Cleethorpes service every hour each way.

Ahh, reverses at Picadilly.

It's badly timed for Macclesfield connections (or brilliantly times depending how on-time they are and how fleet-of-foot you are getting from platform 4 to platform 2.

unlevel42

Phoned Customer Services on Friday booked a phone call on Monday.
Yes they will put up a 1st class fare in September-post franchise change?
When I said that there was also no Sheffield to Stoke 1st class fare either there was first a surprise reaction and then and a change in viewpoint- an email would be sent to the "fares team".

All very nice and helpful people.

Status
Not open for further replies.