• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Canon 5D III - Thoughts and Feedback Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

wensley

Established Member
I am about to bite the bullet and buy a Canon 5D III and a 70-200 f/2.8 to replace my 60D which has put in 18 months of good service and racked up a considerable shutter count!!

I'm pretty much set, and I do use my camera for a lot more than just rail. However, I would appreciate any feedback members can give on the Mk3 and what they have found it to be like when using it to shoot rail.

Any feedback much appreciated :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
I've got a mkII and also use amongst others the 70-200 2.8. It does me well enough, I don't think the mkIII offers much more for the money apart from autofocus improvements. If it's pure image quality you're after you won't go wrong either way but personally I'd save a bit of money and get a used mkII.

These are a few of my favourite shots with this combo, see for yourself!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash_3939/8622208251/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash_3939/8638832942/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash_3939/8566058109/

Established Member
Having just switched from a MkII to a MkIII, I would go for the MkIII if you can afford it - not only is the autofocus much better but the image quality is also better at higher ISOs.

JohnB57

The 5D3 is undoubtedly a very fine piece of kit that will last you for years.

The 70-200mm is quite a bit "shorter" on a full frame body than similar focal lengths would be on your 60D.

Also, the 70-200mm f/2.8 is a heavy piece of kit. As a walk round lens, I use the f/4 IS version which loses one stop, but is far more neck friendly and much less costly with very similar image quality.

ash39

Established Member
Both good points.

I bought the f/2.8 but don't think you'd lose much with the f/4 - plus it's a lot cheaper! I do like using it for photographing my daughter though, depending on what other shooting you do it might be better to go for the 2.8. It is heavy though.

The focal length was perfect on my old 500d, but it is as John says a bit short on full frame. I was looking at a 2x teleconverter but undecided yet.

EltonRoad

I switched from the mk II to mk III last August. Camera is better build quality, feels better due to different shape grip and is weather proof unlike mk II - ideal for shooting in the Lake District! As noted above image quality is better at higher ISOs. The focusing is vastly improved with many more focus points in the viewfinder that it also meters on.

There is a built-in spirit level, visible in the viewfinder, which can be useful! Also faster fps so less likely to get the train in the wrong place if it's travelling fast.

Incidentally I bought mine from Hong Kong off http://www.onestop-digital.com - first time I'd ever 'risked' doing this, but after ordering on a Sunday it was at my house on Wednesday, and saved about £700 in the process! Definitely worth checking out their prices.

JohnB57

I switched from the mk II to mk III last August. Camera is better build quality, feels better due to different shape grip and is weather proof unlike mk II - ideal for shooting in the Lake District! As noted above image quality is better at higher ISOs. The focusing is vastly improved with many more focus points in the viewfinder that it also meters on.

There is a built-in spirit level, visible in the viewfinder, which can be useful! Also faster fps so less likely to get the train in the wrong place if it's travelling fast.

Incidentally I bought mine from Hong Kong off http://www.onestop-digital.com - first time I'd ever 'risked' doing this, but after ordering on a Sunday it was at my house on Wednesday, and saved about £700 in the process! Definitely worth checking out their prices.
The 5D3 is not really any more or less weather proof than the 5D2 - both have "environmental protection". Personally, I wouldn't want to take either out in anything other than light drizzle. Also, the lens needs to be sealed, although the OP's 24-105mm and his proposed 70-200mm both are.

The electronic level is a great feature - my 7D has it and it's probably the one thing I really miss on the 5D2.

For grey imports, I have used HDEW a couple of times. They despatch from the UK so you have a local (non-Canon) warranty that provides some back up. They also often include a warranty extension in with the deal.

wensley

Established Member
Thanks very much for the replies folks, backs up what I've read elsewhere that the MkIII is a solid bit of kit.

Interesting point about lens weight though, as with the full frame sensor it is likely that I will require the 70-200 more than my 24-105 going forward, may have to handle one and see if I think it's a managable package to be carting around up and down hills and to the more inaccessible locations!!

JohnB57

Thanks very much for the replies folks, backs up what I've read elsewhere that the MkIII is a solid bit of kit.

Interesting point about lens weight though, as with the full frame sensor it is likely that I will require the 70-200 more than my 24-105 going forward, may have to handle one and see if I think it's a managable package to be carting around up and down hills and to the more inaccessible locations!!
The 5D3/24-105mm and 60D/70-200mm would be a very versatile combination if you can afford to keep the 60D. You'll be amazed how much more useful the 24-105mm is on full frame and I suspect you might want to leave it on there most of the time.

Nice pics on Flickr by the way - I'm looking forward to seeing some shots with your new gear. One small pedantic point - your 24-105mm is constant f/4 and doesn't close down to f/5.6 as you increase focal length as you say on your Flickr page. People pay a lot for constant aperture!

EltonRoad

The 5D3 is not really any more or less weather proof than the 5D2 - both have "environmental protection". Personally, I wouldn't want to take either out in anything other than light drizzle. Also, the lens needs to be sealed, although the OP's 24-105mm and his proposed 70-200mm both are.

The camera is advertised as having 'weather sealing' which the mk II didn't have. Reading various forums though, it seems some people have had problems using it in adverse conditions.

JohnB57

The camera is advertised as having 'weather sealing' which the mk II didn't have. Reading various forums though, it seems some people have had problems using it in adverse conditions.
Canon's website specs quote them both as having "environmental protection", so I think they're probably about equal, although the 5D3 does give weather sealing in the features list. Moot point really as you wouldn't want to test it out either way. The 3 is a great camera, no doubt.

wensley

Established Member
The 5D3/24-105mm and 60D/70-200mm would be a very versatile combination if you can afford to keep the 60D. You'll be amazed how much more useful the 24-105mm is on full frame and I suspect you might want to leave it on there most of the time.

Nice pics on Flickr by the way - I'm looking forward to seeing some shots with your new gear. One small pedantic point - your 24-105mm is constant f/4 and doesn't close down to f/5.6 as you increase focal length as you say on your Flickr page. People pay a lot for constant aperture!

You won't have long to see said test shots! Finally paid the deposit today and expect the bits and bobs to arrive within the next two weeks. I got a decent price and reckon it was the right decision. And you're quite right about the 24-105, not sure what I was thinking there :p

wensley

Established Member
Just an update for all those kind enough to have contributed,

I've ordered the 5D body/grip and the 70-200 f/2.8, I have also added a 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 to the list which should give a really versatile set-up with the 60D body and 24-104 f/4.0. I am currently looking at 7D bodies to replaced by 60D as a crop sensor, with the new 7D due for release in the autumn I am hoping there will be some bargains to be had! I will be sure to post some images taken with the new kit as soon as it arrives...getting a bit excited now :D

JohnB57

Just an update for all those kind enough to have contributed,

I've ordered the 5D body/grip and the 70-200 f/2.8, I have also added a 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 to the list which should give a really versatile set-up with the 60D body and 24-104 f/4.0. I am currently looking at 7D bodies to replaced by 60D as a crop sensor, with the new 7D due for release in the autumn I am hoping there will be some bargains to be had! I will be sure to post some images taken with the new kit as soon as it arrives...getting a bit excited now :D
We never congratulated you on the lottery win!

Enjoy the kit and let's see some of your work soon.

wensley

Established Member
We never congratulated you on the lottery win!

Enjoy the kit and let's see some of your work soon.

I wish! I got a good deal on them and have been saving for a considerable amount of time ;) The anticipation is still mounting!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well it's here...had a little play today with a test train for Derby, no sun so hard to tell what it's really like, focusses well and colour reproduction seems good...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clagmonsterrail/8926668799/

Comments please! More to follow :)

ash39

Established Member
I'd have gone a bit tighter on that, there's a lot of space around the train and not a lot of interest in it.

JohnB57

I'd have gone a bit tighter on that, there's a lot of space around the train and not a lot of interest in it.
There's so much detail on a 5D3 file, he can crop very tight in PP if that's what he needs.

Looks nice and FWIW, I like wide shots like this as it puts the subject in context. Looking forward to more!

wensley

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been out playing again today with the results to follow! I much prefer a wider angle with some perspective, the slow line shot at Loughborough is far from ideal as the main part of the backdrop is the station. The test train was booked FL so it should have worked, I was close to not taking it when the sun dropped :-x

ash39

Established Member
I agree with including the surroundings to place the train - when it's an attractive or historic location. I just don't think a dirt track and an industrial unit add anything to the shot, but each to their own!

wensley

Established Member
Yep, we all have our own styles! I love a scenic shot, but industrial grimy locations have their own appeal and sense of atmosphere ;) Having reviewed the shot again I decided I wasn't happy with the light and it has been duly deleted.

My photostream has been updated with some more shot http://www.flick.com/clagmonsterrail

Status
Not open for further replies.