• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Canon or Fuji ?

Canon or Fuji

• Canon Powershot S3 IS

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Fuji Finepix S6500fd

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
martyn29 suggested I make this poll , as it says on the tin ^^^ which?:(:smile:.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Looks like its neither as Fred is now not getting a camera. Why do I get a feeling of "I told you so"?

JS

Got no idea , looks like the overexcitedness got me:roll: , what a shame.... .

Established Member
You want to zoom in and out on videos. With the S5700 you cannot!

You can;).

Can somone give me a list of things that are wrong with the Fuji S5700 , Please?

Thanks fred.

thefab444

Established Member
There are many reasons, one of which is the worse than average purple fringing.

You cannot zoom in/out whilst recording movies on the S5600, I'm not sure if you actually can on the S5700, strangley enough I don't know of anyone who has it!

devon_metro

Established Member
The popularity of the 6500 shows it IS a good camera. I don't know of anybody that has the 5700.

Speaks for itself

Established Member
There are many reasons, one of which is the worse than average purple fringing.

You cannot zoom in/out whilst recording movies on the S5600, I'm not sure if you actually can on the S5700, strangley enough I don't know of anyone who has it!

I know somone with it and a few other people. It dosent have alot of purple fringing:D. It dose video zoom which is an added bonus.

devon_metro

Established Member
And so does the 6500 without draining your battery! How do you know it doesn't have purple fringing?

Established Member
And so does the 6500 without draining your battery! How do you know it doesn't have purple fringing?

Ive seen loads of reviews , pictures , and zooming video and the batterys last:).

devon_metro

Established Member
I quote:

The only weak point of the otherwise excellent S5600 was image quality, but the S5700 addresses all of the issues raised by that camera. Since it has no image stabilisation the S5700 relies on its high-ISO capability to provide a fast enough shutter speed to make the long zoom viable, and it certainly scores well in this area, although it’s not quite up to the levels of some other Fuji cameras. It uses a conventional 1/2.5-in CCD rather than Fuji’s own SuperCCD technology, and so it does suffer from some high-ISO noise, but pictures are still good up to 800 ISO, which is a pretty fair performance. However at 1600 ISO the image quality is quite poor, with serious colour noise problems. Unfortunately the "Anti-shake" mode sets this speed automatically, so it's best to avoid this option. Aside from that, overall image quality is excellent, with good exposure and colour rendition, and very good overall sharpness. The lens does produce quite bad barrel distortion at the wide-angle end, but makes up for it by providing tons of sharp detail right across the frame. The only bum note is that usual Fujifilm bugbear, massive purple fringes on all high-contrast edges. I really wish Fuji would solve this problem, because it is the only real fault with what is otherwise a superb camera.

thefab444

Established Member
As someone said when I was discussing the S5700, the S5600 was a pro-sumer model with advanced features, whereas the S5700 is more aimed at being an expensive toy for people who otherwise know very little at photography. Not that it can't take good pictures, but things like it doesn't have RAW when the S5600 and S6500 do, and the the styling suggest it's gone 'down market'. It's as if they decided "We can cut features out to save money as long as it has a high number of megapixels to sell it to rookies".

My 2p,
JS

Established Member
I quote:

The only weak point of the otherwise excellent S5600 was image quality, but the S5700 addresses all of the issues raised by that camera. Since it has no image stabilisation the S5700 relies on its high-ISO capability to provide a fast enough shutter speed to make the long zoom viable, and it certainly scores well in this area, although it’s not quite up to the levels of some other Fuji cameras. It uses a conventional 1/2.5-in CCD rather than Fuji’s own SuperCCD technology, and so it does suffer from some high-ISO noise, but pictures are still good up to 800 ISO, which is a pretty fair performance. However at 1600 ISO the image quality is quite poor, with serious colour noise problems. Unfortunately the "Anti-shake" mode sets this speed automatically, so it's best to avoid this option. Aside from that, overall image quality is excellent, with good exposure and colour rendition, and very good overall sharpness. The lens does produce quite bad barrel distortion at the wide-angle end, but makes up for it by providing tons of sharp detail right across the frame. The only bum note is that usual Fujifilm bugbear, massive purple fringes on all high-contrast edges. I really wish Fuji would solve this problem, because it is the only real fault with what is otherwise a superb camera.

As someone said when I was discussing the S5700, the S5600 was a pro-sumer model with advanced features, whereas the S5700 is more aimed at being an expensive toy for people who otherwise know very little at photography. Not that it can't take good pictures, but things like it doesn't have RAW when the S5600 and S6500 do, and the the styling suggest it's gone 'down market'. It's as if they decided "We can cut features out to save money as long as it has a high number of megapixels to sell it to rookies".

My 2p,
JS

I still like it , and somone I know who has it , there pics have no purple fringin. Im not one for being good at photogrpahy. Its a nice camera. Dosent matter too much about RAW or a CCD. It looks fine for me and has video zoom:smile:.

My mind is made up for the while S5700 , besides the s6500fd I might brake it and I wouldnt want that;).

thefab444

Established Member
Ok, well if you want to waste your money, go ahead! :)

But don't you come crying to me if you buy it and find out how bad the purple fringing is.

JS

devon_metro

Established Member
The report doesn't lie. The sample pictures show awful purple fringing and awful barrel distortion - unlike the 6500. I don't see why you like the 5700 so much :? It doesn't feature a Super CCD sensor like the 6500 and its a far worse camera than the 6500!

Jim

Established Member
I know 4 people at least who have the 6500 and none have ever moaned about it!

Established Member
The report doesn't lie. The sample pictures show awful purple fringing and awful barrel distortion - unlike the 6500. I don't see why you like the 5700 so much :? It doesn't feature a Super CCD sensor like the 6500 and its a far worse camera than the 6500!

But its smaller , has 10xoptical , video zoom :smile:.

What do you want me to do , go without or get it?.

thefab444

Established Member
The S6500 has 10.7x Optical Zoom, which can be used during video recording no problem and also doesn't waste battery when doing so. But, if you're set on buying a "lemon" then I suppose you can, don't see why we should stop you. As Liam said, the purple fringing is evident on the S5700 - and also the S6500 is tried and tested, loads of people have it, whereas the S5700 is a bit of a mystery, it's easy to invent people who have it in order to convince other people your decision to buy the cheaper camera is the right one, but at the end of the day (urgh) it is gonna be your camera!

Just a little more on the purple fringing, it occurs in high contrast areas; in both the photos you showed is evident around the gantry and overhead catenary at the top of the photo. It is also vaguely apparent at the bottom of the photo of the 91, where the white stripe on the platform is

JS

Nice one as ever Beaker! :lol:

Established Member
Don't bother, I showed those photos to Fred last night and he said "They look fine to me". :|

I won't bother anymore

I know you wont liam , I cant find a camera I like really without the purple fringin or thingy. I will probably get this camera , or wait 4 months to the christmas deals come. But that means 4 months without a camera:(. That would drive me insane:shock:.

Status
Not open for further replies.