• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can't change seats on Trainsplit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just trying to amend some seats using Trainsplit for a journey I'm making from Redcar to Manchester in July and whilst it's happily issued seat reservations I cannot seem to amend the allocated seats to the ones I'd prefer. When I try and confirm my changes on the seat selector I'm getting a "Something went wrong" warning and the technical details say: "Received HTTP UnprocessableEntity". Screenshot below:

it's broke.png

I've tried it on a different date (same route) and get the same error. So is it just me or is something broken at the minute?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

J-P_L

I wonder if it may be something to do with the way TPE are issuing seat reservations with social distancing.

In STD only window seats can be reserved and on 185s the standard part of coach C/G is unreserved. When having a play about with trainsplit it will spit back the same error message if you try and reserve an aisle seat or one of the STD seats in C/G.

In first only the window seats coupled with an aisle seat (so 05,08,11,14,17) should be available for reservations (although 17 is a priority seat) but for some reason it won’t move any reservations at all without an error (but booking for 4 will give 05,08,11 and 14 on the same train ).

I don’t know how the reservations are set up but I’d have thought the aisle seats would have been made “unreservable” so be greyed out but it doesn’t look to be the case from a rudimentary play about.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh I wonder if you're on to something there! It's a good working theory at any rate so thank you :)

bearhugger

I made a journey with TPE from Middlesbrough to Thirsk & return yesterday. The guards on both journeys made announcements encouraging passengers to sit at window seats rather than aisle seats where possible, so that seems to back up what @J-P_L is saying.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It might be COVID related, but normally if you have the last Advance in that quota level you can't change your seat, because all of the seat selectors presently work by taking a new ticket for the new seat and then returning the old one to the quota. If there isn't one there to take, it doesn't work (you can't return it first, as if you do someone might buy it and then you're stuck). This is a limitation of NRS and so applies to all vendors that do seat selection.

Hopefully son-of-NRS will fix this.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It might be COVID related, but normally if you have the last Advance in that quota level you can't change your seat, because all of the seat selectors presently work by taking a new ticket for the new seat and then returning the old one to the quota. If there isn't one there to take, it doesn't work (you can't return it first, as if you do someone might buy it and then you're stuck). This is a limitation of NRS and so applies to all vendors that do seat selection.

Hopefully son-of-NRS will fix this.
Yeah I checked for that there were plenty of tickets available at the tier I was purchasing at :)

alistairlees

Established Member
The problem was with connectivity to RARS2 specifically. Same effect though - many TIS and retailers had no access to Advance fares and could not make reservations. It was apparently fixed at 2000 last night.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I won't start a new thread, but I have noticed that when booking LNER, Avanti and TPE journeys recently there has been no option to amend the default seats given. Is this a new change or related somehow to the above?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I won't start a new thread, but I have noticed that when booking LNER, Avanti and TPE journeys recently there has been no option to amend the default seats given. Is this a new change or related somehow to the above?
How many passengers are in the booking?

Royston Vasey

Established Member
This happened to me with a CrossCountry reservation on Trainsplit a few weeks ago as well with exactly the same error message.

Not only had it allocated me seats I didn't want, it also allocated me different seats in different coaches for the two "legs" of the split ticket (on the same train) and I couldn't change this!

So, I thought I'd cancel the ticket and attempt the same booking again, but it gave me the same two different seats that I didn't want.

I worked around it in the end by leaving the unwanted reservation in my basket and booking the same ticket to provide a different seat reservation, and so on until it reserved one seat throughout and it was one I wanted with a window view...

In the end I had ten identical tickets totalling £600+ in my basket, only a couple of them with the same seat throughout, and only one of them a seat I was happy with! This was after several deletions of further unwanted combinations too. Then I carefully deleted the nine unsatisfactory bookings leaving only the seat I wanted, and then booked it.

It took ages but it eventually worked!

Stewart2887

Maybe, under the current restrictions, they're trying to accomodate as many legitamite travelles as possible safely, and they want you to sit where is safe and convenient for their service. If you want a particular view, take the car?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Maybe, under the current restrictions, they're trying to accomodate as many legitamite travelles as possible safely, and they want you to sit where is safe and convenient for their service. If you want a particular view, take the car?
No, that isn't what's happening here.

Social distancing is not a thing on National Rail TOCs in England since 19 July. But thank you for suggesting I drive to Scotland instead of raising a query about seat reservations, it was very helpful.

Last edited:

Stewart2887

I've travelled from Oxford to Edinburgh many times over the last few years. Three of us, train makes no sense financially. I've tried Trainsplit, doesn't help. 10 hour drive then...

harz99

Same thing happening with LNER yesterday and today, it allocates me seats then when I try and amend them to something that suits us 2, it keeps saying something went wrong try again.

tornado

@Wallsendmag , just to metion that recently I booked standard class on a TPE 397 (Nova 2) and could only select seats in B C D, but not A. Got the same error as mentioned above.

XAM2175

Established Member
@Wallsendmag , just to metion that recently I booked standard class on a TPE 397 (Nova 2) and could only select seats in B C D, but not A. Got the same error as mentioned above.
Coach A on a 397 is the unreserved coach, so you won't be able to select it.

tornado

oops! ok i guess just a minor correction needed to remove that one from the seat selector.

Status
Not open for further replies.