• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cant drive a car can i still apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soso

Might be a stupid question...I haven't got my car drivers license can I still apply to be a trainee driver? If I can apply would it be a big disadvantage to have car driving experience? Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C001

Not for freight you couldn’t I know that as we use pool cars

oz220

Might be a stupid question...I haven't got my car drivers license can I still apply to be a trainee driver? If I can apply would it be a big disadvantage to have car driving experience? Cheers

there is nothing that says you must have a driving license to drive a train however they will ask you the question, how will you get to work if your duty starts at 4am or finishes at 2am.

some companies put on staff taxi’s but I’d think it be a big advantage for the company to know you can get to work by your own means.

LCC106

Established Member
As long as you can get to and from work you don’t need a license. That may be via taxi that you pay for yourself, walking, bicycle, a lift from your partner etc. I know of drivers who’ve lost their DVLA license but still managed to get themselves to and from work regardless of a 3am start or 2am finish for example.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
If you don't have a driving licence because of a drink/drug driving ban or it has been revoked for medical reasons then it is very unlikely you will get to become a trainee driver in the current climate.

If you have simply never taken your driving test for a car, I can't see a problem in applying to be a trainee train driver. The only issue you'll encounter is the question about travelling to & from your place of work at say 2am/3am which another forum member has already commented on.

Believe it or not I know police officers and postal workers (delivering mail) who have never taken their driving test.

Good luck in applying.

CJ

Stigy

Established Member
If you don't have a driving licence because of a drink/drug driving ban or it has been revoked for medical reasons then it is very unlikely you will get to become a trainee driver in the current climate.
What makes you say that? It very much depends on at what stage of the recruitment process you’re told to declare such things, and indeed how specific you need to be with said declaration and how long ago the conviction was (irrespective of if it’s spent).

Established Member

100% yes. I’ve met several TOC train drivers who have never taken their car driving test.

As noted above, things may be different on the freight, depending on FOC/location.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
What makes you say that? It very much depends on at what stage of the recruitment process you’re told to declare such things, and indeed how specific you need to be with said declaration and how long ago the conviction was (irrespective of if it’s spent).

Absolutely - just because someone has been punished for a driving offence doesn't mean they can never become a train driver.

If someone has been convicted of drink/drug driving I would suggest maybe leaving any applications until the conviction has been spent which is normally 5 years.

With revoked driving licences this is a totally different issue. My brother once had his driving licence revoked for medical reasons - again this would potentially open up a can of worms with applying to be a train driver.

My own thoughts would be to consult with HR/recruitment if you are interested in applying.

CJ

TheGoldfish

Drink driving is a criminal offence not a driving offence ... since about 1995 I think ?

Need2

11 years for the DBS
CJ is right, it is not spent until 5 years have passed. On a basic (or whatever it is called) dbs check you do not have to declare it after 5 years.
It only stays on a driving license for 11 which has nothing to do with anyone except yourself and your insurers.

theironroad

Established Member

Yes.

At least on TOCS where there is no pool car/van driving involved.

You may well be asked how you'd get to/from work at unsocial hours, but obvs that depends where you live. If you live a 5 min walk from depot then clearly no issue. If you live 15 miles away in very rural area with zero public transport, then they'd want assurance there is a credible plan.

I've alway been surprised how many train drivers don't have a car licence.

TheGoldfish

CJ is right, it is not spent until 5 years have passed. On a basic (or whatever it is called) dbs check you do not have to declare it after 5 years.
It only stays on a driving license for 11 which has nothing to do with anyone except yourself and your insurers.

Dbs is exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act. Single convictions with no custodial sentence (served or suspended) which was committed as adult won’t filter for 11 years .... 5.5 for juvenile convictions .... you are obliged to disclose anything that will appear on your dbs to an employer

Established Member
Dbs is exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act. Single convictions with no custodial sentence (served or suspended) which was committed as adult won’t filter for 11 years .... 5.5 for juvenile convictions .... you are obliged to disclose anything that will appear on your dbs to an employer
You only have to declare UNSPENT convictions to an employer. (Certain exceptions apply but not likely in this case)

Stigy

Established Member
With revoked driving licences this is a totally different issue. My brother once had his driving licence revoked for medical reasons - again this would potentially open up a can of worms with applying to be a train driver.
I’d say less so than the drink driving conviction you mentioned. You won’t have to declare anything until the medical stage and if you pass the medical you’re passed as fit to drive trains, irrespective of your driving licence to drive a road vehicle. I understand that if your driving licence has been revoked for medical reasons it’s quite serious, so the medical may be an issue, but I guess it all depends on the nature of why it was revoked and how long ago?

LCC106

Established Member
Taking the initial question at face value, I was never once asked if I had a car driving license or how I would get to work.

TheGoldfish

You only have to declare UNSPENT convictions to an employer. (Certain exceptions apply but not likely in this case)

I see you’re in Scotland ... the law is different in Scotland to that in England .... for example in Scotland they still “weed” aged convictions from the PNC .. that means thst minor and isolated convictions are deleted automatically when they reach a certain age.

This does not happen anymore in England .... they stay on pnc for 100 years even if you are dead .... Albeit such stuff is only visible to select few intel agencies .... so disclosure Scotland it prob won’t show up .. but on basic DBS it will until the dbs filter kicks in at 11 years ... and you should declare anything that will appear on the dbs certificate whether it has relevance or not. Spent and unspent doesn’t apply

CreamNCookies

im currently in the run for TPE, just waiting to have a DMI having passed the psychometric tests. I don't drive.

Stigy

Established Member
I see you’re in Scotland ... the law is different in Scotland to that in England .... for example in Scotland they still “weed” aged convictions from the PNC .. that means thst minor and isolated convictions are deleted automatically when they reach a certain age.

This does not happen anymore in England .... they stay on pnc for 100 years even if you are dead .... Albeit such stuff is only visible to select few intel agencies .... so disclosure Scotland it prob won’t show up .. but on basic DBS it will until the dbs filter kicks in at 11 years ... and you should declare anything that will appear on the dbs certificate whether it has relevance or not. Spent and unspent doesn’t apply
For a basic disclosure, be it through Disclosure Scotland or DBS (both can be used in England), applicants are only ever told to declare convictions classed as unspent, unless told that the RoOA doesn’t apply. The PNC will only show certain convictions, too. For example you could be prosecuted for a RailWay Byelaw offence and as it’s non-recordable, it won’t be visible. However if you’re asked wither you’ve ever, in the last five years been convicted of a criminal offence, you should be saying you have been.

Established Member
For a basic disclosure, be it through Disclosure Scotland or DBS (both can be used in England), applicants are only ever told to declare convictions classed as unspent, unless told that the RoOA doesn’t apply. The PNC will only show certain convictions, too. For example you could be prosecuted for a RailWay Byelaw offence and as it’s non-recordable, it won’t be visible. However if you’re asked wither you’ve ever, in the last five years been convicted of a criminal offence, you should be saying you have been.

Not sure if you’re talking about Scotland here, but in England you’re entitled not to disclose any spent conditions, even if specifically asked.

So if you were asked for convictions in the last five years, had a conviction (say) four years ago that had become spent after two years, there would be no requirement to disclose it.

Stigy

Established Member
Not sure if you’re talking about Scotland here, but in England you’re entitled not to disclose any spent conditions, even if specifically asked.

So if you were asked for convictions in the last five years, had a conviction (say) four years ago that had become spent after two years, there would be no requirement to disclose it.
I was speaking about England but meant the same as you just said....I just didn’t word it very well. I was just using that as an example.

It obviously depends on the level of disclosure, but for the benefit of a basic DBS.

Soso

Thank
there is nothing that says you must have a driving license to drive a train however they will ask you the question, how will you get to work if your duty starts at 4am or finishes at 2am.

some companies put on staff taxi’s but I’d think it be a big advantage for the company to know you can get to work by your own means.
Thanks

Soso

Thanks for you reply good to know
Yes.

At least on TOCS where there is no pool car/van driving involved.

You may well be asked how you'd get to/from work at unsocial hours, but obvs that depends where you live. If you live a 5 min walk from depot then clearly no issue. If you live 15 miles away in very rural area with zero public transport, then they'd want assurance there is a credible plan.

I've alway been surprised how many train drivers don't have a car licence.

Need2

Total and utter rubbish!
Where do you get the 11 years from? A DD conviction stays on your driving license for 11 years and has nothing whatsoever to do with the RoOA.
For the example mentioned (drink driving), you would have a declarable unspent conviction for 5 years from the conviction date.
After 5 years you would not have to declare the conviction for a basic DBS check because it is deemed as spent.

TheGoldfish

Total and utter rubbish!
Where do you get the 11 years from? A DD conviction stays on your driving license for 11 years and has nothing whatsoever to do with the RoOA.
For the example mentioned (drink driving), you would have a declarable unspent conviction for 5 years from the conviction date.
After 5 years you would not have to declare the conviction for a basic DBS check because it is deemed as spent.

mmh

Established Member

I didn't get asked about driving until my DMI. "Do you drive?" "Yes, haven't got a car at the moment" "How would you get here?" "I'd buy one or a scooter"

I think he was more bothered that I'd have to cross London to get to Paddington so quite possibly pushing it in terms of time not distance. I failed, but I knew I had and not for that reason. Best of luck to you.

(I also knew a driver who was a serial drink driver who'd spent time banned. He lived a five minute walk from his depot though)

Status
Not open for further replies.