• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can't get into first class compartment due to crowding

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquam

I have a first class season ticket between Cambridge and Downham Market. The other evening at Cambridge there were seats in first class but I couldn't get to them because there were so many people standing in standard class including someone with a bike that there was no way into the compartment.

I had to give up and wait for the next train. That was 35 minutes later. Would I be able to claim for a half hour's delay repay in the circumstance? Is it worth trying?

This was on a Govia train.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
I know that Govia does allow you to claim delay repay if you were unable to board a train due to it being crowded and the overall delay to your journey was 30+ minutes. To do this you have to select "other" as the reason on the delay repay form and provide a brief explanation and state the train you were unable to board. However, this may not quite suit the situation here.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
To be clear: the situation was that you could have boarded the train, but not get into 1st class? As opposed to being unable to board the train at all?

aquam

I don't know. It may be there was space to join the people standing in the door area but there wasn't time to access the situation. However I can't stand in a crowded claustrophobic space like that . That's partly why I pay the extra for first class, so I can travel on the trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.