• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Captain Sir Tom Moore has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I'll only clap when the blond oaf is taken out of Number 10 for the last time, preferably in chains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
So far I have been inundated with rubbish on Facebook saying clap today, tomorrow, Saturday, 2 minutes silence on 3 different days etc etc.

It appears to have attracted the usual bunch of virtue signallers who have to be seen to be associated with things like this.

I reckon I'll stick with keeping my own counsel on polite ways of being respectful.

Oh god no, not the clapping again. Call me callous but it won't be happening in this household.

This is getting ridiculous now.
I agree, not least because the PM attached "for all workers Tom helped support" to it and therefore made it like the previous virtue-signalling. For all Tom's great work he wouldn't have had to raise money if the NHS was both properly funded and managed, with its staff properly paid.

prod_pep

Established Member
Very, very sad. A magnificent man and a hero in the true sense of the world, he was someone genuinely deserving of a knighthood. It takes a lot to make me well up but I admit to shedding a tear or two yesterday evening on finding out the sad news. What a superb final year he had and I hope he enjoyed that last holiday in Barbados.

As for going outside clapping, forget it. What's wrong with remembering him with a dignified minute's silence?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
I hate to say this but the media and Government narrative today is quite disgraceful. It's like an unblemished old grandfather who did nothing but good.

Excellent military service, I am grateful. Excellent fundraising (when the Government should be funding the NHS properly, different argument), lovely. Nice guy, got to 100. Got knighted for an unremarkable feat but raised spirits at a bad time, so get that.

But you go on holiday when nobody else does "for the greater good" (and then you become no better than that Dubai lot who are supposedly influencing), and then what? What if he and his family brought back a "Barbados variant" that set the country back? What if it caused even one other additional death?

I am not impressed.

najaB

Veteran Member
But you go on holiday when nobody else does "for the greater good" (and then you become no better than that Dubai lot who are supposedly influencing), and then what? What if he and his family brought back a "Barbados variant" that set the country back?
There were no restrictions in place that applied to his trip, and no community spread in Barbados at the time either.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I hate to say this but the media and Government narrative today is quite disgraceful. It's like an unblemished old grandfather who did nothing but good.

Excellent military service, I am grateful. Excellent fundraising (when the Government should be funding the NHS properly, different argument), lovely. Nice guy, got to 100. Got knighted for an unremarkable feat but raised spirits at a bad time, so get that.

But you go on holiday when nobody else does "for the greater good" (and then you become no better than that Dubai lot who are supposedly influencing), and then what? What if he and his family brought back a "Barbados variant" that set the country back? What if it caused even one other additional death?

I am not impressed.
He and his family did nothing wrong.

The virus will constantly mutate, as it has been doing since it it was first discovered in Wuhan (the strain that Europe had to contend with was more contagious than the original, as I've posted in another) and that's a discussion for another thread, and indeed has been debated extensively on this forum. Feel free to continue the debate about strains in an appropriate thread, but you may wan to make sure you've done your research, because I have, and I'll be joining the debate ;)

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I am not impressed.
A mere dozen miles from where I live and breathe the blond demigod and his posse are intent on bringing Heads of State from different parts of the globe, together with hundreds of support staff and even more media people, in a mere four months time, with local residents lockdowned and roads for miles around closed to ordinary traffic, because, as we know, it's impossible for the elite to either catch Covid or pass it on. I hope Cornwall's only major hospital will be on standby with extra resources allocated for the probable spike in cases within days of the junket. If the spike in cases doesn't happen then it will surely show that current restrictions are over-the-top, and that Tom Moore's trip to Barbados should not have been criticised. Or, have I got it wrong, and Biden and co. will have to quarantine near Heathrow for ten days before being let loose on Carbis Bay?

najaB

Veteran Member
Or, have I got it wrong, and Biden and co. will have to quarantine near Heathrow for ten days before being let loose on Carbis Bay?
Or, alternatively, are they likely to be being tested on a near-daily basis, and remain largely isolated making chance of spreading infection very low.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
An ordinary chap who did an extraordinary thing in his twilight year because he thought it would do some good at a time when things seemed very bleak for many of us. Rest well, Tom - you've earned it.

Strathclyder

Established Member
A truly inspirational man who gave us all a little bit of hope during the darkest of times. Rest easy, Sir. You've more than earned it.

westv

Established Member
An ordinary chap who did an extraordinary thing in his twilight year because he thought it would do some good at a time when things seemed very bleak for many of us. Rest well, Tom - you've earned it.
if it hadn't been for the media coverage of wouldn't have been that extraordinary.

najaB

Veteran Member
Even if it hadn't "gone viral" and 'only raised £1000, I'd still mark it as relatively extraordinary
I agree. Some people think that to be extraordinary it has to be earth-shattering and unique, where the word literally means "outside that which is common".

As you say, a 99 year-old doing laps of their garden to raise money for charity, during a national lockdown was anything but ordinary!

Jimini

Established Member

Ended up on this train on my way home tonight. Despite the article above, I think the 2210 RDG > PAD train I was on originated from Weston-Super-Mare, which struck me as unusual at the time. Film crew at Paddington upon arrival as well.

Attachments

• D54AD73F-EF1B-49AA-8786-24073BF00A1A.jpeg
    D54AD73F-EF1B-49AA-8786-24073BF00A1A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 46

brad465

Established Member
His ashes have now been buried, while the headstone has, at his request, "I told you I was old" on it:

Captain Sir Tom Moore's ashes have been buried alongside his parents and grandparents in his family grave in Yorkshire.
Representatives of the NHS, Royal British Legion, Scouts, Guides and other groups lined the path at Morton Cemetery in Riddlesden, Keighley.
As Sir Tom requested, his headstone bears the words "I told you I was old".
The World War Two veteran raised more than £32m for the NHS by walking round his garden during lockdown.
A short service was conducted by Keighley Town Chaplain, the Reverend Dr Jonathan Pritchard and attended by Sir Tom's daughters, grandchildren and other family members as well as the Lord Lieutenant of West Yorkshire, Ed Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.