• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Captain Sir Tom Moore has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Sadly but not unexpected has been the death of Captain Sir Tom Moore, one of life's true gentlemen:

Covid-19: Captain Sir Tom Moore dies with coronavirus​

Captain Sir Tom Moore has died with coronavirus.
The 100-year-old, who raised almost £33m for the NHS, was taken to Bedford Hospital after requiring help with his breathing on Sunday.
His daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore said he had been treated for pneumonia over the past few weeks and last week tested positive for Covid-19.
The Army veteran won the nation's hearts by walking 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was just about to say, indeed it is very sad - a very nice old man. I enjoyed his feature on Piers Morgan’s life stories. God bless him, he lived to thankfully a good age.

Peter C

Established Member
I just read this on the BBC News app and didn't believe it at first. It's all happened very quickly, but sadly wasn't unexpected given his (impressive) age.

-Peter

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Tragic news and R.I.P Sir Tom

Should this be moved to the Coronavirus thread given we'd never have heard of the man otherwise?

hst43102

RIP Sir Tom - a great man who inspired many and got us through the first lockdown!

I'm sorry to say that the wikipedia page describes him as having contracted CV19 after going on an "irresponsible holiday to Barbados". As far as I know it was a trip on his bucket list and was in no way irresponsible, and I hope it gets changed soon!

alex397

Established Member
RIP Sir Tom - a great man who inspired many and got us through the first lockdown!

I'm sorry to say that the wikipedia page describes him as having contracted CV19 after going on an "irresponsible holiday to Barbados". As far as I know it was a trip on his bucket list and was in no way irresponsible, and I hope it gets changed soon!
I’m seeing some criticism on ‘Social’ media, but frankly he deserved a last treat for all his work (which is what most probably think). Surprised it still happened in a pandemic and Im sure Moore and his family were well aware of the risks, but I think he deserved it.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I’m seeing some criticism on ‘Social’ media, but frankly he deserved a last treat for all his work (which is what most probably think). Surprised it still happened in a pandemic and Im sure Moore and his family were well aware of the risks, but I think he deserved it.
I think that if I was 100, COVID19 or not, I would've gone to Barbados

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I believe it already has been. Whether or not one agrees with the sentiment (I don't personally considering his circumstances) it's hardly appropriate either morally or for the sake of a site that strives to be impartial and accurate.

LowLevel

Established Member
A grand age, what seems to have been a mercifully comparatively quick final act, what seems to have been a wholesome and well lived life and a final year spent inspiring people, doing good and having experiences. I tip my hat to the bloke.

So sad to hear his passing. He did inspired people during the first lockdown and his name even made it to a GBRF Class 66 locomotive with a special ’Thank You NHS’ livery. He will be sadly missed.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Very saddened to read this news when I got home from my walk. A true inspiration and a man with a sense of duty, RIP.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Very sad news indeed, but at least Covid aside his last year was quite full with his fundraising efforts greatly exceeding his target and I'm sure expectations.

A great man and an inspiration to all.

Steddenm

Very sad news yesterday and he was an inspiration to many.

Not only was a 66 named after him so was a GWR IET. His legacy will live on for the future in the Foundation that was set up in his name.

He first came to light in the 80s(?) on a Christmas Special of Blankety Blank with the late Sir Terry Wogan. They can continue their game together now.

Rest in peace.

Domh245

Established Member
I believe it was for NHS charities, but I'm not sure.

-Peter

Correct - the money raised has gone to funding things 'above and beyond' basic healthcare, although whether it should have to or not is another matter. Quoting from their tribute

Captain Sir Tom directly raised £33 million for NHS Charities Together’s Covid-19 appeal.

As a result the charity has been able to provide much needed bereavement support for those who have tragically lost loved ones to Covid-19, though its member charities.

Other projects have helped isolated patients in hospital, using technology to enable them to stay connected to loved ones at one of their most difficult moments. And thanks to the funds raised the charity has supported the emotional and practical needs of staff, including counselling programmes and helplines, so that they can focus on their life saving work at a time of immense pressure.

Peter C

Established Member
Correct - the money raised has gone to funding things 'above and beyond' basic healthcare, although whether it should have to or not is another matter. Quoting from their tribute
Thanks for the clarification. Shows how brilliant his fundraising campaign was.

-Peter

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Agreed!

This is false information; he was already ill before caught Sars-Cov-2 and he likely caught the virus while he was ill in hospital.

Not only is it false, it's pretty disgraceful anyone would say that.

I'm glad he managed to make this trip before he died.
Tragic news and R.I.P Sir Tom

Should this be moved to the Coronavirus thread given we'd never have heard of the man otherwise?
There is no "Coronavirus thread" as such, but if anyone wishes to suggest a thread be merged into any other thread, or into a different forum section, please use the report button. Thanks.

DelW

Established Member
I suspect that if I'd reached his age, a quick death after a great family holiday in the Caribbean would be far preferable to lasting some extra months isolated in a sterile room being nursed by people in full PPE.

He had an amazing final year after a very varied life, and went out on a high with his marbles intact. I think that's more than most of us can hope to achieve.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I suspect that if I'd reached his age, a quick death after a great family holiday in the Caribbean would be far preferable to lasting some extra months isolated in a sterile room being nursed by people in full PPE.

He had an amazing final year after a very varied life, and went out on a high with his marbles intact. I think that's more than most of us can hope to achieve.
Absolutely.

We as a society need to get away from this ludicrous quantity over quality approach currently imposed on us, but I will say no more on that as I've posted in greater detail on another thread.

brad465

Established Member
PM has just announced tonight they'll be a clap for Tom at 18:00.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has encouraged members of the public to clap for Captain Sir Tom Moore at 18:00 GMT on Wednesday.

The 100-year-old, who raised almost £33m for NHS charities by walking laps of his garden, died with coronavirus in Bedford Hospital on Tuesday.

Mr Johnson said the clap would also be for "all those health workers for whom he raised money".

He added Capt Sir Tom's life was "a long life lived well".

LowLevel

Established Member
PM has just announced tonight they'll be a clap for Tom at 18:00.

So far I have been inundated with rubbish on Facebook saying clap today, tomorrow, Saturday, 2 minutes silence on 3 different days etc etc.

It appears to have attracted the usual bunch of virtue signallers who have to be seen to be associated with things like this.

I reckon I'll stick with keeping my own counsel on polite ways of being respectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.