• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car collides with train in Renfrewshire (15/08/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meole

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53790309
A driver has been injured after a train collided with a car in Renfrewshire.

The white Hyundai appears to have broken through large metal barriers, coming to rest on the tracks before it was hit by the train at about 06:15.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service sent nine fire engines to the scene in Janefield Avenue and crews removed the man from the vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jona26

Very small brain move by the vehicle driver.

Why do you say that? We have no idea what caused the car to crash.

I wish all a speedy recovery. I hate to think what went through the train driver's mind with it coming so soon after Carmont.

(Edited to add quote)

Last edited:

Lucan

Established Member
So this is not a level crossing case, he went through gates (chained and padlocked in the Google Street View link that 68000 gave) that look meant for engineering access to the railway. At first I thought the gates were aligned with the approach road of a T Junction, but the Street View perspective can be misleading and they are actually somewhat offset.

These are minor roads in a housing estate with a 20mph limit, so it must have been quite an achievement to break through those gates and reach the tracks. Looks from the recovery pictures that he might have managed a 180 degree turn too.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So this is not a level crossing case....
Reminds me of the Copmanthorpe derailment in 2006

JKF

6:15 am - assume that could be the first train of the morning, possible the car had ended up there overnight and been on the track a while?

Having checked rtt, first train had been 15 minutes earlier and passed (albeit in the other track) without incident, so vehicle likely to have ended on track shortly before the collision.

thejuggler

One possibility. Older driver, automatic car, wrong pedal. It wouldn't be the first time.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Any update on this? All the online news stories on Saturday seem to have been sourced from the exact same press release.

Certainly the White Hyundai involved looks like it will need a bit more than a dab of touch-up paint.

LAX54

Established Member
Too many idiots have cars these days, it was better when they couldn't afford a car.
Or sudden illness / someone in the road and he/she swerved and lost control / heart attack, engine malfunction, I had that once, 'loud' pedal got jammed ....now that was scary for a bit !

ExRes

Established Member
One possibility. Older driver, automatic car, wrong pedal. It wouldn't be the first time.

As everyone is having their own guess, how about. Younger driver, drugged up, drunk, on their mobile, It wouldn't be the first time.

It will be interesting to see the facts when they come out

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
ISTM that there‘s been an assumption that it went onto the track through those access point gates, but maybe that’s just how it’s been got out? Perhaps there’s another section of damage which we haven’t seen yet?

The access gates were still padlocked but were ripped off their hinges

Established Member
ISTM that there‘s been an assumption that it went onto the track through those access point gates, but maybe that’s just how it’s been got out? Perhaps there’s another section of damage which we haven’t seen yet?
It came out the same way it entered.

SC318250

Think it was 380020 that was operating the 0600 Glasgow Central to Ayr that hit car
Where that area is from Johnstone station, I suspect the 380 would be up to nearly 60-70mph

al78

Established Member
Or sudden illness / someone in the road and he/she swerved and lost control / heart attack, engine malfunction, I had that once, 'loud' pedal got jammed ....now that was scary for a bit !

I'd put my money on careless driving, which is by far the most frequent cause of road traffic incidents. Illness/mechanical failure is not impossible, but is against the odds. It would be best to reserve judgement until the facts are revealed, only the driver truly knows what happened. Fortunately the driver has lived to give his version of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.