• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car Owners Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In a bid to encourage people to travel in more environmentally-friendly ways the rail industry is planning to introduce the Car Owners Railcard. This is to specifically encourage car owners to travel by train, whilst still being able to price gouge those for whom rail travel is the only option.

To be eligible, you need to own a fully taxed, MOTed and insured car. The railcard will be available via an app only, and you will be able to apply by uploading a picture of your V5C. Data will be cross-checked with DVLA databases, and the discount level will vary based on how polluting your car is - owners of electric vehicles will get 10% off all fares, rising to 50% for owners of vehicles with large diesel engines. This discount will also be available on season tickets, as long as the origin and destination are both outside the London zones.

I do wonder if this will those with long commutes to just buy an old bangor to sit on their drive, as it could work out cheaper for long distance season tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I smell a lucrative employment opportunity, may l be a Marshall to check that the vehicles really are not in use? I require a uniform, a supply of wheel clamps. And a big vehicle to transport the clamps. We just need to agree on the financial situation, obviously a high fee per clamping, plus boni

Status
Not open for further replies.