• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car Stop Markers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

Two questions:
Q1. The other day when I was travelling through Tunbridge Wells I noticed the the "S" Car stop markers in the Up Direction had written below them "375 SDO". I presume SDO stands for selective door operation, but the platforms can easily hold a 12 coach train. "375" must refer to the class 375s which operate services through the station but if anyone could shed any light on what this is there for, I would be very grateful.

Q2. Also, in the South East the majority of car stop markers are white writing on a blue background but elsewhere they are white on black. Is it just that they were installed in different eras or that the colour has some significance?

Thanks

Joe

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
Q1: If the platforms already hold 12 car trains then the SDO boards seem to be unnecessary. However, they would be necessary elsewhere if the platforms are shorter to ensure that the train is stopped at the correct place along the platform when the doors are released.

Q2: No, no significance at all. We have white on blue and black backgrounds and even some older (and increasingly faded) NSE boards.

O L Leigh

N Levers

The platforms at Tunbridge Wells only hold ten cars. When you platform 12 there you.end up with two cars still in the tunnel. There are signs on the tunnel walls from when it was slam door stock telling passengers not to alight and to walkthrough the train.

I 'enjoy' when a 12 car train detaches there as the rear 2 cars of the detached portion wouldn't be in the station as they are in the tunnel.

jnjkerbin

Thank you.

My guess at TBW being able to take 12 was just an assumption seeing as High Brooms, Tonbridge etc. could. Thank you very much.

A third question about Tunbridge Wells. Why do down trains (even 4 coaches) stop so far down the platform. Is it due to the curvature so drivers can see the starter signal?

Thanks
Joe:)

Crossover

Established Member
Actually, this raises a question from myself, and it seems to slot nicely into this thread.

Regarding SDO boards, I was passing through Hever near Oxted (along with a few other stations on that line) a week or so back and there were signs on the platform saying something on the lines of "5 car 171 SDO"

Anyone got any idea why, as, as far as I know, such length trains don't exist anyway, and the platforms looked pretty long and I'm sure would have accommodated more than our 4 car unit?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
presumably for 8-car formations- instructing that only 5 cars are to be opened?

N Levers

Actually, this raises a question from myself, and it seems to slot nicely into this thread.

Regarding SDO boards, I was passing through Hever near Oxted (along with a few other stations on that line) a week or so back and there were signs on the platform saying something on the lines of "5 car 171 SDO"

Anyone got any idea why, as, as far as I know, such length trains don't exist anyway, and the platforms looked pretty long and I'm sure would have accommodated more than our 4 car unit?

It is probably for the 6 car formations that run evening peak. (a four plus a two car)

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Edenbridge Town, Hever and several others are all 5-car SDO stations, Crowborough can take 6. That'd be the significance of the 5-car.

The Uckfield gets 8-cars in the peaks, hence the Crowborough 6.

There's various other exciting examples around the Oxted Line now that we get 12-car trains. Riddlesdown is 9-car (at least the down platform is) and Hurst Green is 10-car, despite being built for 12-car, as the gap between trains and the platform is judged to be too big at the extreme ends of the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.