• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car trains from Dagenham - do they run to York?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestRiding

I am in the process of getting a car, and the update so far from Ford is that it has reached Dagenham Rail, and will be delivered by rail to York, and then on to Sherburn where they have a compound apparently. This got me wondering, as I didn't know. Where do the car trains from Dagenham Ford actually go to in York, and how often do they run? I didn't know car trains from Ford went to York. Even stranger though, it went from Liverpool to Dagenham, and is now waiting to go to York. Seems a backward way of moving cars around the country. Just curious, I'd be interested to know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
I don't believe there is a Dagenham - York rail service. More than likely your car will go to Garston and roaded to York on a transporter.

StephenHunter

Established Member
I don't believe there is a Dagenham - York rail service. More than likely your car will go to Garston and roaded to York on a transporter.

Indeed; freight train routes are fixed and timetabled like other services; pick-up freight is a thing of the past.

WestRiding

Ah right OK, so do cars by rail flow both ways between Liverpool and Dagenham, not just Dagenham to Liverpool? I will never criticise the Railway again, when it started off so close to York, just the other side of the pennines, and Ford have moved it to London! Doesn't seem right in this eco obsessed world.

GB

Established Member
The trains from Liverpool are 99.5% usually empty. Very occasionally they will come back with pre registered vehicles or in the past the odd new Range Rovers here and there. I don’t know why your car would end up back at Dagenham unless there was and issue with it, the train or an error in the tracking.

Far north 37

Established Member
Correct - there isn't one! I'm sure @Freightmaster can confirm what the main car train flows from Dagenham are.
The only car trains from dagenham run to garston operated by gbrf and to mossend operated by dbc although i believe one of these or both are being taken over by drs.

Interesting and I do feel your dealer contact is either inexperienced or is indeed playing smoke and mirrors. No Ford vehicles are built in the UK they all are imported with the exception of Tractors at Basildon. Halewood (Liverpool) makes transmissions the assembly plant is Jaguar - Land Rover. There are regular car transporting ships arriving at Dagenham Dock to unload it is possible that's why its at Dagenham?

3973EXL

Established Member
Vehicles are imported through Ford's own quay at Dagenham Dock.

STVA their distribution agent runs trains from Dagenham to Garston & Mossend under separate haulage contracts with FOC's.
Further distribution from Dagenham, Garston and Mossend will be by road.

Status
Not open for further replies.