• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff and Valley lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I may be down in Wales at some point, and looking to see if it is possible to do all the lines on the Valley Lines day ticket in one day. At the minute I'm debating whether to do this on a weekday (and therefore after 09.15), or get up early on a weekend to do them all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
We did think about doing the Valleys on our ALR. Planned most of it and yes it should be possible in one day.
The only reason we didnt cover on our ALR as becuase we did the First Class one and to spend a day on the valleys would have been a waste of First Class.

Michael.Y

Established Member
We did think about doing the Valleys on our ALR. Planned most of it and yes it should be possible in one day.
The only reason we didnt cover on our ALR as becuase we did the First Class one and to spend a day on the valleys would have been a waste of First Class.

Pfft. ATW Pacers are First Class throughout! Some of the seats even have numbers in the headrests :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
I may be down in Wales at some point, and looking to see if it is possible to do all the lines on the Valley Lines day ticket in one day. At the minute I'm debating whether to do this on a weekday (and therefore after 09.15), or get up early on a weekend to do them all.

It most certainly is, but you would be better off aiming for a weekend to maximise your chances.

When I planned such a day in March last year (which didn't happen in the end) I had it down as about 12 hours without Ebbw Vale.

Established Member
It most certainly is, but you would be better off aiming for a weekend to maximise your chances.

When I planned such a day in March last year (which didn't happen in the end) I had it down as about 12 hours without Ebbw Vale.

12 hours does seem quite intense. One strategy would be to split over two days, so doing a couple of the lines on one day then using the Rover ticket for the next.

Ivo

Established Member
If you're interested, here's what I had (on a Saturday, allowing for travel to and from Bath, with one dodgy connection and one walk):

CDF 0946 - 1001 PEN
PEN 1002 - 1116 RHY
RHY 1129 - 1219 HHL
HLL 1230 - 1243 COY
COY 1245 - 1324 RDR
RDR 1325 - 1416 ABA
ABA 1422 - 1453 PPD
PPD 1506 - 1543 TRB
TRB 1547 - 1617 PPD
PPD 1627 - 1701 MER
MER 1708 - 1840 BYI
BYI 1840 - 1845 BRY
BRY 1905 - 1939 BGN
BGN 1945 - 2011 MST
MST 2015 - 2107 CDF
CDB 2130 - 2134 CDQ
CDQ 2142 - 2151 CDF

Established Member
Suppose that's not too bad, although if I was doing it on a Saturday I'd more than likely try to get at train as early as 06.00.

Drsatan

Established Member
Last year I was able to bash around 60-70% of the Valley Lines network in a day. I arrived at CDF from EXD at around 09:50 and left at 18:30 (booked an AP single so I couldn't afford to miss the train!)

All I need to cover is the Coryton branch, Ystrad Mynach - Rhymney, Pontypridd - Trehebert, the Maesteg & Ebbw Vale branches!

One line I'd recommend bashing is Cardiff - Bridgend via Barry - the line runs along the coast, past Barry and past Aberdare power station.

anthony263

Established Member
Last year I was able to bash around 60-70% of the Valley Lines network in a day. I arrived at CDF from EXD at around 09:50 and left at 18:30 (booked an AP single so I couldn't afford to miss the train!)

All I need to cover is the Coryton branch, Ystrad Mynach - Rhymney, Pontypridd - Trehebert, the Maesteg & Ebbw Vale branches!

One line I'd recommend bashing is Cardiff - Bridgend via Barry - the line runs along the coast, past Barry and past Aberdare power station.

The vale of glamorgan is very scenic and is something I reconmend.
The Ebbw Vale branch is fine as well.

Truth be told I think the valley lines will be better when they are operated by dmu's as you wont have the noicy diesel engines

Status
Not open for further replies.