• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff bus says "take your car"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diagmato

Cardiff bus have been an absolute nuisance for a couple years now. For the most part, they are on time, and reliable, unless you use the Lisvane service.

Lisvane is one of the furthest areas to travel to, in Cardiff (from city centre). Most people in Lisvane seem to be elderly, or young.

Cardiff bus run the Lisvane service so badly, that its almost not worth having. Why?

- Catching the bus to city centre - this is timed to badly that anyone starting work on the hour will be late. either that, or end up hanging around town for an hour (an absolute pain when the shops are shut so early).

- Catching the bus back - the bus leaves at 5 mins to the hour, so if you finish work on the hour, your stuck in town for another hour. Again, an absolute pain if you just want to get home.

- The bus travels through Heath, and Thornhill, which both have their own, reliable, many-an-hour busses.

Cardiff bus really knows how to waste so much of your time.

A number of times, petitions in Lisvane have been made to try and get Cardiff bus to do something about their Lisvane service. This has been happening for years. Yes, theyve changed the service a few times, but not in the way anyone requests. Eventually, they replied "If you dont like the service, use a car. That way its your fault you are late."

I just dont get why, a public transport company would encourage someone to use a car? Doesnt the government want people to use public transport more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

What a rubbish service!

Lisvane is unlucky with its bus service then. :(

Diagmato

Is there any effective ways that could get them sorted? My neighbour wrote a letter to the council, who didnt reply. However Cardiff bus also mentioned the Lisvane service makes them no profit - it costs them to run the service, which is paid for by the council.

But there are possible ways around it, which they never listen to - there are two thornhill services - one of them runs every 10 mins. If that service took a slight change of route, going closer to Lisvane it would make a great deal of difference.

T

Tom

Maybe one of the Thornhill services could proceed to Lisvane.

Diagmato

thats one solution, but the trains are almost impossible around christmas time - they put on two carridges, and try and push people on. You could be waiting there, watching 4 trains that go to your destination go past, because theyre too full.

Although the rest of the year is pretty fine - it gets home much faster than the bus too.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I object! The day we had a 37 meet in cardiff was awful as of the signalling failure at Newport and so as there was no apparent train coming any time soon, I wandered down the bus station to find a "Cardiff Bus" service heading for Cardiff, I duly boarded asap and got myself a nice comfortable seat! although the bus was very packed (I think everyone had the same idea because of the signal failure) I found the service to be extremely satisfactory over "Newport Transport" and enjoyed the journey alot! It was certainly a change from the train - and I'm a person who cannot stand buses! Now for me to enjoy a bus service - its unheard of, so Cardiff Bus did something right. £2.80 return as well - somewhat cheaper than the train!

Tom B

Established Member
If the bus is on contract from the council, the council can have some control over it so you would be wise to write to them - hope they're better than DMBC in this respect, though.

If it's a commercial route, you can't do anything about bad timetables or timekeeping. Well, the VOSA *can*, but in practice they don't.

Jonno2055

It is disgusting really, we used to have a bus service that was poor, it seemed that every few hours they would cut out a bus, it got so bad everybody started to expect that buses would never turn up, and about taking the car, i dont have one.
I rely on public transport and with some of the poor run services, no wonder there are more cars on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.