• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Central - Match/Event days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Cricket at Cardiff today. GWR 0848 Bristol TM to Cardiff Cen unable to pick at Filton Abbeywood due overcrowding and guard even had difficulty boarding at Temple Meads !!!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have used the train to get to many sporting events at most of the big stadia in this country and the arrangements at Cardiff seem to be the best, followed by Wembley. The best ever was when I went to the challenge cup. Final whistle to Chiltern train in 7 minutes

They talked about the travel to Cardiff on TMS yesterday. The considered opinion was to use the train and walk up or if forced to drive park up away from the ground and walk in IF you could get off the motorway. There was then a discussion about cricket grounds you could arrive at by water taxi. Some cricket went on also. I love TMS.

Last edited:

alb1

I was at the cricket yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it (including the water taxi discussions on TMS!).

We ended up driving in as I have access to a parking space right next to the stadium, but our preferred transport from Swansea would have been by train. Unfortunately, the only train yesterday morning was before 8am and diverted via the VoG line. I'm sure we can't have been the only cricket fans who would have taken trains but ended up driving instead. It's a shame there are no stations closer to the stadium as I'm sure they'd be well used on match days (not that there are more than a couple of matches of that size per year).

KTHV

I have used the train to get to many sporting events at most of the big stadia in this country and the arrangements at Cardiff seem to be the best, followed by Wembley. The best ever was when I went to the challenge cup. Final whistle to Chiltern train in 7 minutes

They talked about the travel to Cardiff on TMS yesterday. The considered opinion was to use the train and walk up or if forced to drive park up away from the ground and walk in IF you could get off the motorway. There was then a discussion about cricket grounds you could arrive at by water taxi. Some cricket went on also. I love TMS.

What are the arrangements for Wembley like? I'm due to be there for the NFL in a few weeks and getting the train from Paddington back to Worcester (I assume the Tube will be non-queueing as regular?)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What are the arrangements for Wembley like? I'm due to be there for the NFL in a few weeks and getting the train from Paddington back to Worcester (I assume the Tube will be non-queueing as regular?)

which way will you go? Wembley Park, Wembley Central or Wembley Stadium?

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It'll be Wembley Park

it is better since the rebuild but police will try to control the approach via Wembley Way and break the crowd up into chunks so the station isn't over crowded or the steps up to the station full. Inside the station routes are marked out for each platform and direction. it works quite well and is better than the scrum it was in the past.

After the match I might walk to Wembley Central and take the brown line to Paddington. You could always use Wembley stadium which is well organised (and seems quicker to get away from) and run into Marylebone for the tube.

Obviously there is no segregation to worry about at the NFL so your choices might be more varied than the cup final or play off final.

philthetube

Established Member
check the finish times and service times - I don't know when NFL will finish

There are no events at Wembley which finish too late for people to get away by underground, your train time from Paddington is another matter.

gareth950

I was at the cricket yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it (including the water taxi discussions on TMS!).

We ended up driving in as I have access to a parking space right next to the stadium, but our preferred transport from Swansea would have been by train. Unfortunately, the only train yesterday morning was before 8am and diverted via the VoG line. I'm sure we can't have been the only cricket fans who would have taken trains but ended up driving instead. It's a shame there are no stations closer to the stadium as I'm sure they'd be well used on match days (not that there are more than a couple of matches of that size per year).

Was the cricket at Sophia Gardens opposite the castle? If so, you can't get a station closer than Cardiff Central which is a 10 - 15 minute walk away at most!

damo44

Was the cricket at Sophia Gardens opposite the castle? If so, you can't get a station closer than Cardiff Central which is a 10 - 15 minute walk away at most!

Cathays is slightly closer but admitttedly of limited use for the OP if coming from Swansea

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Cathays is slightly closer but admitttedly of limited use for the OP if coming from Swansea

Swalec Stadium to Cathays 21minutes/ 1 mile
Swalec Stadium to Central 23 minutes/ 1.1 miles
Swalec Stadium to Queens St Station 26 minutes/ 1.3 miles

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Swalec Stadium to Cathays 21minutes/ 1 mile
Swalec Stadium to Central 23 minutes/ 1.1 miles
Swalec Stadium to Queens St Station 26 minutes/ 1.3 miles

I'd guess that these figures are based on a map and don't take into account any of the local conditions.

Firstly, the shortest way from the Swalec Stadium to Cathays is over the river bridge, through Bute Park, across the A470 and then through Cathays Park to the station. The problem with this route is that depending on the time of day, the bridge may be closed, which means a longer diversion via the front of Cardiff Castle.

Secondly, as has been pointed out, the station for the main line is Central. There's no point at all in going to either Cathays or Queen Street as a change of train will be needed.

Finally, I don't think that the time from the stadium to Central is entirely accurate. I use the route regularly, and I think that I can do it quicker - mind you, I do walk quickly! It's a reasonable estimate, though, and any of the suggested routes are okay. This is the best place to go to!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Yes, they are the direct routes from Google maps, and knowing Cardiff as it is my home city, I agree, but I thought it worth posting as an example.

telstarbox

Established Member
Interestingly the ATW travel advice for stadium events states:

Passengers travelling to an event in Cardiff on a chartered train need to obtain the following information from the Charter organiser before travelling:
- Where you need to queue for the return journey
- What time you need to be back at the station
- The name of the Charter service you are travelling on and the colour of your train ticket

Do charter services issue non-orange tickets so that their passengers can 'jump the queue' to get on the return service?

damo44

Hardly, I'd say but you would be most inconvenient of crowd control in operation.

Sorry, I don't quite understand the point you're making
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Firstly, the shortest way from the Swalec Stadium to Cathays is over the river bridge, through Bute Park, across the A470 and then through Cathays Park to the station.

Does that take longer than crossing the roads from Cardiff Central? I wouldn't have thought there's much in it either way.

The problem with this route is that depending on the time of day, the bridge may be closed, which means a longer diversion via the front of Cardiff Castle.

Why do they close the footbridge at certain times of the day? It hadn't been built when I last lived in Cardiff and I don't think I've ever used it, but I assumed it was open all day.

Secondly, as has been pointed out, the station for the main line is Central. There's no point at all in going to either Cathays or Queen Street as a change of train will be needed.

Which is fair enough. But I think the comment I was actually responding to was that there isn't a closer station than Cardiff Central, although I did acknowledge that Cathays wasn't useful to the OP coming from Swansea

While the difference in distance is pretty marginal, if I were ever to attend an event at the SWALEC stadium, I would actually find Cathays better for my likely journey.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
That post of mine still seems to exist. #45 I think.

I just wasn't sure what you were saying about it.

Sorry missed it when browsing through again. What I said was that Cathays is hardly nearer but would not be convenient for crowd control if it ever came to that. Had got confused with the QUOTES process,

damo44

Sorry missed it when browsing through again. What I said was that Cathays is hardly nearer but would not be convenient for crowd control if it ever came to that,

Ah now I see! I think the SWALEC would have to be expanded quite a bit for crowd controls to be necessary at Cathays.

Do they even have controls at Central for SWALEC (and other stadia) events or just those at the Millennium? - which is where this thread started I believe.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Ah now I see! I think the SWALEC would have to be expanded quite a bit for crowd controls to be necessary at Cathays.

Do they even have controls at Central for SWALEC (and other stadia) events or just those at the Millennium? - which is where this thread started I believe.

Never known crowd control for a SWALEC Stadium cricket match yet

craigybagel

Established Member
Interestingly the ATW travel advice for stadium events states:

Do charter services issue non-orange tickets so that their passengers can 'jump the queue' to get on the return service?

Charter services have their own queue IIRC.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
"Why do they close the footbridge at certain times of the day? It hadn't been built when I last lived in Cardiff and I don't think I've ever used it, but I assumed it was open all day."

As the footbridge leads into Bute Park, it's governed by the opening hours of the Park. These are generally 7.30am to 30 minutes before sunset - here's a link to the full list: http://bute-park.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Bute-Park-Closing-Times-2016.pdf

It means that it's often closed after night matches as they end after sunset. That, though, doesn't stop people climbing over the gate and into the park - how they get out the other end, I don't know!

I'd agree that there isn't much crowd control at the station for cricket matches. If there was, it would probably only be for the Test matches and,. as I didn't go last year, I don't know what happened then.

Status
Not open for further replies.