• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Central to Bletchley via Sugar Loaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
OK, so I have a new plan :)

It appears that it is feasible to go home "the long way" via the Heart of Wales Line which I've not yet done but have been meaning to for ages.

This means going Cardiff-Llanelli-Shrewsbury (via Sugar Loaf)-Brum-Bletchley.

I have the return half of a Bletchley-Cardiff C Off Peak Return route Not London issued as an M-ticket. (I wouldn't usually but wanted to use the XC seat selector and not pay the extra quid for TVM issue).

I suspect this is unlikely to be valid this way, but can't get NRE to even give me the itinerary to check, but FastJP will, so I'm satisfied it's feasible timetable-wise.

What's a sensible combination of tickets and when am I back "on route" with my existing ticket? It looks like going via the Marches and Shrewsbury is valid, so do I just need a ticket to Swansea/Llanelli then from there to Shrewsbury (NRE seems to indicate that Cardiff-Shrewsbury isn't valid via the HoWL) with my existing ticket valid from there?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
OK, so I have a new plan :)

It appears that it is feasible to go home "the long way" via the Heart of Wales Line which I've not yet done but have been meaning to for ages.

This means going Cardiff-Llanelli-Shrewsbury (via Sugar Loaf)-Brum-Bletchley.

I have the return half of a Bletchley-Cardiff C Off Peak Return route Not London issued as an M-ticket. (I wouldn't usually but wanted to use the XC seat selector and not pay the extra quid for TVM issue).

I suspect this is unlikely to be valid this way, but can't get NRE to even give me the itinerary to check, but FastJP will, so I'm satisfied it's feasible timetable-wise.

What's a sensible combination of tickets and when am I back "on route" with my existing ticket? It looks like going via the Marches and Shrewsbury is valid, so do I just need a ticket to Swansea/Llanelli then from there to Shrewsbury (NRE seems to indicate that Cardiff-Shrewsbury isn't valid via the HoWL) with my existing ticket valid from there?

Thanks again.
I'm afraid to say your ticket is only valid on your intended route from Smethwick/Birmingham onwards. The Marches line is not a permitted route for Cardiff-Bletchley.

Tickets on the Heart of Wales Line are, understandably, very good value for money (though it may still be worthwhile to split tickets to ensure you are travelling on much cheaper Day Singles rather than Period Singles/Returns).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You are indeed correct, I'm not sure what made me think it was.

Anyway, I banged it all into Trainsplit as far as Brum (via Swansea and Sugar Loaf) and it gave me a more than reasonable £47.30 with a few splits along the way (presumably as you say to use CDSs rather than period singles). Interestingly on the through Shrewsbury-Brum VT, not used that before either!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And a very pleasant journey it was. Not quite Conwy Valley spectacular (though some bits around Sugar Loaf were similar) but pleasant green rural scenery throughout and some interesting buildings at Llandrindod. Definitely worth the £47.30. Though my ears are rattling from 4 hours of Class 150 action! (At least the Welsh ones have a seating layout conducive to seeing out of the window).

Status
Not open for further replies.