• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
This is something I've noticed every time I've caught a West Wales train from Cardiff in the last few years. I've meant to bring it up before, and hearing a female passenger complaining about it to her partner on the phone yesterday has brought it to the front of my mind again.

The trains usually arrive on platform 3, and invariably pull up to the far western end of the platform. This means that most passengers, who have been standing along the platform, with most of them by the steps in the middle, have to walk quite a way down to the train.

Why is this done? Is it something to do with signal sighting? Some passengers, like the one yesterday, seem to think it is just the railway being pig headed and wanting to inconveniece passengers as much as possible.

I'd like to be able to provide a good answer in similar circumstances in the future!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That's very true!

Actually, I have seen it hapepn at platform 4, now I come to think of it, but not with the West Wales trains on platform 3. And that includes the times I've been a bit late, and boarded just before departure!

quarella

As the main flow is terminating services from the east it makes sense to utilise the platforms fully by drawing down to the west end. The platforms were split into 3 and 3A and 4 and 4A a few years ago and are announced as such. The A suffixed to the west. There are stop boards at the west end at the end of the shelter. Not unknown but very rare that you will alight/board beyond the shelter.

Doesn't it depend how long the train is? All trains stop at the one stop marker if the platform is unoccupied. If it's a HST then some of the carriages will have stopped next to the steps, but a 1 car 153 will obviously be further away from the steps. Both trains have stopped in the same location though!

It's similar on platform 7 where you have to walk quite far down the platform to board a 2 car train after coming up the steps. That platform has been like that for years and platforms 3 and 4 were altered more recently to follow suit, so it could be an issue of consistency for all trains arriving from the east.

Another benefit is to stack up trains along the platforms which, I have seen happen on platform 3 during times of disruption and lots of trains are arriving from the east one after the other.

At least you can be sure the train will stop somewhere under the platform canopy and not in the open, like I experienced the other day at Slough platform 2.

a good off

As someone who works at Cardiff, I can confirm that drivers need to pull down as far as possible so that another train can be called on in rear if needed. This happens frequently especially with late running and disruption.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
As someone who works at Cardiff, I can confirm that drivers need to pull down as far as possible so that another train can be called on in rear if needed. This happens frequently especially with late running and disruption.

Excellent. That is exactly what I will tell any people that I hear moaning in the future!

Thanks for all the replies!

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Its aggravating if your getting off from the east as well!

Cardiff Area Signalling Project will see most platforms being bi directional so this may well be thing of the past soon.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Cardiff Central could not function without platform sharing - and the new signalling allows this when it comes in (despite old H&S zealots who would like it banned everywhere in case of a rough shunt evey 20 years or so)

Please dont raise the issue (you can get 3 short trains in under "passenger permisive" rules and coupling and uncoupling moves) - vital for railway operations. (not that you would want Cardiff Central to be re-borne with 10 or so platforms .......!)

Established Member
Most probably is signal sighting. Same happens at York frequently with southbound XC and GC services using platform 5 - train goes right past the footbridge and down to the southern end of the platform where the signal is. In actual fact I think most trains at York travel far enough down the platform to see the signal, can't think of one where it doesn't.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Yes, Cardiff Central (or General as it then was) did used to have a Platform 5.

It was a bay platform between what is now Platforms 3 and 4 facing towards the west. I don't think it's the case now, but up to a while ago you could still see where the platform had been filled in, as the tarmac covering was different to that used for the other platforms.

The station used to have Platforms 8 and 9 as well, leading in the general direction of what is now known as Cardiff Bay. I think that they might have also been called "Clarence Road", but I'm not sure about that.

They were roughly where the S & T depot / offices are / were, and there's still a short headshunt leading to where they were. I think that they were out of use for many years,and taken away in the 1990's if I remember correctly.

:)

anthony263

Established Member
Yes, Cardiff Central (or General as it then was) did used to have a Platform 5.

It was a bay platform between what is now Platforms 3 and 4 facing towards the west. I don't think it's the case now, but up to a while ago you could still see where the platform had been filled in, as the tarmac covering was different to that used for the other platforms.

The station used to have Platforms 8 and 9 as well, leading in the general direction of what is now known as Cardiff Bay. I think that they might have also been called "Clarence Road", but I'm not sure about that.

They were roughly where the S & T depot / offices are / were, and there's still a short headshunt leading to where they were. I think that they were out of use for many years,and taken away in the 1990's if I remember correctly.

Roughly where the new platform 8 is to be built at Cardiff central

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The old platforms 8 and 9 were still there and used for parcels when I was a boy! They were once known as Cardiff Riverside. I seem to recall DMU's being stabled there after the parcels days, and I think the platforms were also used for special trains for a while.

a good off

Has Cardiff Central ever had a platform 5 ?

I always find it odd that there is a platform 0 used mainly for Ebbw Vale trains but no platform 5

There was a western facing bay platform located between what is now P3 and P4. The bay used to be P4 and what is now P4 was formerly known as P5.

Sorry Anthony, completely missed your post above.

Last edited:
Didn't really want a whole new topic for this, though not strictly related....

Is there anything going on, train related, in Cardiff today?

There seemed to be an overly large amount of police and security about this morning.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The old platforms 8 and 9 were still there and used for parcels when I was a boy! They were once known as Cardiff Riverside. I seem to recall DMU's being stabled there after the parcels days, and I think the platforms were also used for special trains for a while.

Yes, Cardiff Riverside was the name - thank you!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Didn't really want a whole new topic for this, though not strictly related.... Is there anything going on, train related, in Cardiff today? There seemed to be an overly large amount of police and security about this morning.

There wasn't much activity when I passed through this morning - but that was about 7.00am, though - doh!

Status
Not open for further replies.