• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowinaminute

I'm a keen photographer and while I like trains a lot and get more interested in them as time goes by when it comes to taking photos it's more of an art thing than an accurate record keeping thing which rubs some people the wrong way but hopefully some people will enjoy these too.

There's something about trains and a low sun that just looks great, half the train is reflections and the other half is full of intricate mechanical details that catch the light and cast shadows giving immense textures.

Anyway, enough babbling!

These were taken with a Canon 60D with a Canon 55-250mm and Sigma 18-50mm and also some were taken with a Song NEX-5n and a "Fujian" 35mm F/1.7 CCTV lens!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nowinaminute

Thankyou for the comments, a low sun really does bring out all sorts of details such as the rivets!

Here are some more, I will add any photos I take in Cardiff to this thread:

Fantastic shots. I am familiar with Cardiff Central. It's very busy with plenty of variety. Is it possible, to add captions to the photos? It might help those not familiar with the area and its workings? It's just a thought. Look forward to seeing more photos:D.

nowinaminute

Fantastic shots. I am familiar with Cardiff Central. It's very busy with plenty of variety. Is it possible, to add captions to the photos? It might help those not familiar with the area and its workings? It's just a thought. Look forward to seeing more photos:D.

I can certainly try although the captions will be limited by my technical knowledge! Perhaps I can name the different trains at least! I would be lying if I said I knew which services most of these trains were running though, I'm not very up on that. I had just about enough knowledge to notice the class 143 and 142 working in multiple!

james60059

They are awesome photo's, do you have a website to display them on?, they would certainly be worth displaying :D

nowinaminute

They are awesome photo's, do you have a website to display them on?, they would certainly be worth displaying :D

I have a flickr account but not a dedicated website, I used to have one a long time ago but I suppose I found flickr did the same job and was easier and more efficient to upload to. I also found it was easier to share my photos with flick but I do think about starting a website again sometimes...

I'll add a link to my flickr in my signature later on.

nowinaminute

Oh here's some more complete with crap captions!

Arriva Trains Wales class 143 resting at platform 2:

An ATW 150 sneaks up on an unsuspecting passenger - this one was actually at Cardiff Queen Street but it didn't seem worthwhile making a new thread for one photo!

An ATW 153 basks in the evening sun and so does the driver!

A FGW HST approaching the station with Canton in the background:

A busy scene with sprinters and pacers looking towards Canton with the depot off to the left:

Another FGW HST catching some rays:

One or two dead bugs on the nose of this ATW 175:

A head on shot of a 153 approaching the station:

CC 72100

Established Member
Really enjoyed looking over those. I saw the 56 at Cardiff Tuesday & Thursday last week. Love the shot of the 158 in post #1, as if it was a model railway.

You don't happen to know what working the voyager was on do you by any chance? I never knew they went to Cardiff?!

Last edited:
Really enjoyed looking over those. I saw the 57 at Cardiff Tuesday & Thursday last week. Love the shot of the 158 in post #1, as if it was a model railway.

You don't happen to know what working the voyager was on do you by any chance? I never knew they went to Cardiff?!

I think that there is a Manchester Piccadilly - Carrdiff Central working (by a XC Voyager)?

nowinaminute

There's a 07:09 (I think) service to Man Pic by Voyager, get back in at 21:19 (I think these are the times, definatley close though!

That sounds about right as I took the shot not long before leaving which would have been gone 9pm

nowinaminute

Here's some more :)

Two Arriva class 175

Arriva 150

As above

and again!

FGW HST

Cross country class 170

Looking towards Canton depot

FGW HST

Arriva 175

Arriva 175

Kudoson

FGW HST's to Paddington

FGW 158's to Portsmouth (could be Brighton if it's a sunday)

nowinaminute

I love the class 43, there's something comforting about things you thought were cool as a child still being around. It's shame they don't sound like a jet fighter any more post Valenta though :(

Although this one is a bit grubby, overall it's impressive how these if not most British trains have held up over the years, they really built them to last.

I was down the knuckle yard on Friday (photo post soon) and every hst that went past was literally gleaming in the sun, they could have rolled off the line yesterday!

The pacers seems to be holding up quite well too considering they were intended to last 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.