• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff City fans can't use Ninian Park station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
The Head of Stations states Grangetown's Platforms are wider... which seems a better option, and also another thing is more service's per hour at Grangetown than Ninian Park.

Flamingo

Established Member
It is a bit further away, though!

Not that I care if they have to walk further, they are a pain in the arrse.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The only thing I can think of is that it will help to segregate fans if necessary. I know they used to have football trains to ninian park, maybe there are plans to run more?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The Head of Stations states Grangetown's Platforms are wider... which seems a better option, and also another thing is more service's per hour at Grangetown than Ninian Park.

The platforms are definitely wider at Grangetown!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Narrow platforms?!

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/NNP/images/photos/800/o2630-0000007.jpg

Seems like certain Toc bosses need to get out more and speak to the police and managers of railway networks that cope perfectly with huge crowds on even narrower platforms.

The platforms are quite wide by modern standards, and they were good enough before the City Line reopened when they were regularly used for football specials.

Flamingo

Established Member
They look OK to me. I'd guess there is more to this than meets the eye.

valenta

They seem fine of an adequate size to me. Perhaps crowd control similar to what we see on the London Underground, where only a certain amount of passengers are allowed on the platform at a certain time to prevent overcrowding. Not sure how feesable this would be?

Flamingo

Established Member
They seem fine of an adequate size to me. Perhaps crowd control similar to what we see on the London Underground, where only a certain amount of passengers are allowed on the platform at a certain time to prevent overcrowding. Not sure how feesable this would be?

Don't be silly, that would mean ATW employing staff or paying overtime to man the station!

You're new here, aren't you? :lol:

anthony263

Established Member
I wonder have some residents complained , and perhaps the cityline trains cannot cope with the crowds.

I wonder how swansea station will cope with all the crowds this year?

I wouldnt like to be on services to Manchester this wekends when swansea play manchester city away (providing it isnt called off)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
As a Cardiff fan, I am pretty annoyed at this. In the past, a couple of the valley lines trains would go onto stop at Ninian Park station. Obviously now this won't happen, and while some do go onto stop at Grangetown station, the ones from where I live (on the Rhondda line) won't.

I can kind of see point of overcrowding after games, but then again it is no different to busy times at other stations up and down the country.

As for before games, that is the most stupid part. Because people arriving at the station is staggered across different trains and different times, the station hardly ever gets overcrowded before a game.

Flamingo

Established Member
I wonder if this is anything to do with the incident last year when that woman jumped down on the track and had her hissy-fit because of the Cardiff fans behaviour.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I wonder if this is anything to do with the incident last year when that woman jumped down on the track and had her hissy-fit because of the Cardiff fans behaviour.

That was no where near Cardiff itself though (14 miles away), so I don't see why that would have an impact on Ninian Park station.]
And it isn't like Grangetown is a manned station so it isn't about ATW wanting to have staff ensure fans behave themselves.

Flamingo

Established Member
Just trying to think of reasons.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'll do some asking, try and find out anything. I'm curious now.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
From what I can tell, they have been trying to get supporters to use Grangetown station instead for the last few months of last season anyway, simply because it can cope with more people. Perhaps they have just lost patience and decided to force the issue instead? I don't know. Certainly I can understand the safety concerns, but on the other hand it isn't really any different to any other similar circumstances elsewhere in the country.
There anyone who works for ATW on here?

Bevan Price

Established Member
From what I can tell, they have been trying to get supporters to use Grangetown station instead for the last few months of last season anyway, simply because it can cope with more people. Perhaps they have just lost patience and decided to force the issue instead? I don't know. Certainly I can understand the safety concerns, but on the other hand it isn't really any different to any other similar circumstances elsewhere in the country.
There anyone who works for ATW on here?

They have sometimes closed Ashburys (Manchester) when there are sporting events at the nearby sports (now Manchester City FC) stadium.

bromleyboy21

If you want a "fun" post football match experience I suggest you try South Bermondsey after a Millwall game!

Narrow island platform at the top of a long flight of twisting stairs combined with Millwall fans and the BTP trying to keep order!

trickyvegas

The platform seems to be no worse than Horwich Parkway which was built to serve The Reebok stadium. As already indicated, pre-match there is no problem as the fans don't all arrive at once. Post-match the fans are queued up on the road and managed by the police. Northern have extra staff on the platform to man the gates which are opened when a train pulls in, it would seem unreasonable for them to expect a contribution from the club for this.

Pacerpilot

Narrow platforms?!

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/NNP/images/photos/800/o2630-0000007.jpg

Seems like certain Toc bosses need to get out more and speak to the police and managers of railway networks that cope perfectly with huge crowds on even narrower platforms.

Its narrow when they refuse to use the whole platform and all congregate around the shelter end, sitting on the edge of the platform with their legs dangling off. Its been mayhem there on some match days. The City Line services only operate with 2 cars due to the Platform lengths elsewhere on the route. Try telling "x" amount of ****ed up Football fans they can cant get on as there is no more room. They just cannot be reasoned with.
Its not a great distance to Grangetown either. 0.35miles versus 0.75 miles by my Google Earth Ruler, where there are 8 trains per hour into Cardiff vice 2 per hour from Ninian park (1 per hour in the evenings)

Last edited:
It's well under a mile from Cardiff City Stadium to Grangetown station. Many football fans have to put up with far worse!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They look OK to me. I'd guess there is more to this than meets the eye.

Is it easier for the old bill to control fans at other stations? Is it to easy for theere to be "trouble" here?

I cant recall the station as it is many years since i went to Ninian Park ( we got beat :cry: it rained, :cry: it was a long way home:cry:) but is this the closet station to the new ground?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's the closest station, but as has been pointed out there ar emore trains to Cardiff and the Valleys from Grangetown.

It seems odd to me to force people away from services that they might find more convenient, which suggests it's more to do with a concentration of police resources on to Grangetown, rather than having to have a group of police at each station.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's the closest station, but as has been pointed out there ar emore trains to Cardiff and the Valleys from Grangetown.

It seems odd to me to force people away from services that they might find more convenient, which suggests it's more to do with a concentration of police resources on to Grangetown, rather than having to have a group of police at each station.

that sounds about right! I am racking my brains to work out which station we used when we went to Cardiff but cant.

It will be a long while till Darlo need to vist Cardiff or Swansea! (Newport of my European ties this year! :D)

Don't be silly, that would mean ATW employing staff or paying overtime to man the station!

You're new here, aren't you? :lol:

The Police would be responsible, and would bill Cardiff City accordingly. As I'm sure you're aware, the policing of football matches is not 'free', but paid for by the relevent football club. This has led some some arguments before now, I think Bolton? spat their dummy out when the Police jacked up their invoice.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The Police would be responsible, and would bill Cardiff City accordingly. As I'm sure you're aware, the policing of football matches is not 'free', but paid for by the relevent football club. This has led some some arguments before now, I think Bolton? spat their dummy out when the Police jacked up their invoice.

It's probably cheaper to close Ninian park and just police grangetown instead. No doubt the options, and their cost were discussed by the police and the club and this was felt to be the best value solution.

Flamingo

Established Member
It's probably cheaper to close Ninian park and just police grangetown instead. No doubt the options, and their cost were discussed by the police and the club and this was felt to be the best value solution.

Of course! Follow the money, as Judge Judy always says :D

WelshBluebird

Established Member
ATW have actually used common sense anyway!
Trains will still stop at Ninian Park before matches, but won't after. Makes much more sense really. Still a bit annoying for after matches, but you can understand that. Not stopping there before matches made no sense at all.

but as has been pointed out there ar emore trains to Cardiff and the Valleys from Grangetown.

That isn't really true. Especially from the Rhondda line a couple of services from Treherbert go via the city line and sometimes make stops at Ninian Park around matches depending on the time (there are one or two direct services from Treherbert to Grangetown too, but they are early morning I think).

Its narrow when they refuse to use the whole platform and all congregate around the shelter end, sitting on the edge of the platform with their legs dangling off. Its been mayhem there on some match days. The City Line services only operate with 2 cars due to the Platform lengths elsewhere on the route. Try telling "x" amount of ****ed up Football fans they can cant get on as there is no more room. They just cannot be reasoned with.
Its not a great distance to Grangetown either. 0.35miles versus 0.75 miles by my Google Earth Ruler, where there are 8 trains per hour into Cardiff vice 2 per hour from Ninian park (1 per hour in the evenings)

Judging by your username, you are a member of staff?
Certainly that is not my experience at Ninian Park, and fans generally spread out along the platform. The only bunching happens when the train actually arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.