• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy h

Just looking for a little bit of advice really. I have asked for advice on here a few times and so far it's been good so please be gentle :D

I am currently working in a booking office for Virgin, I am still finding my feet etc, but so far so good and I am enjoying it. I am on a fixed contract until mid December 2012 due to the franchise arrangements.

I am obviously a tad worried that come December my contract will not be renewed so I have been scouring the internal vacancy list. I applied for a job as a TM and to my surprise I have been invited to an assessment day. I wasn't really expecting to get invited, it was just a speculative application really.

I am quite a young pup and have worked on the railway since August (since December for the booking office)

Firstly - I haven't told my boss/colleagues about this, however in the e-mail I received today it mentioned that the 'request to relieve duties' has been sent. Presumably to my manager. So I would assume he now knows (I am not due back until tomorrow)

Secondly - What would you do? I am quite new to the railway and I am planning on having a career on the railway and wanting to progress through the ranks. I do thoroughly enjoy my booking office job and I was planning on getting a few years under my belt before even attempting to move up the ranks. Do I go to the interview for the experience?

I am just a little bit unsure what to do and any help would be great.

Cheers
Sammy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Go for it. No brainer.

The interview experience will be good if nothing else. If you don't go for it now, it may not come up for a while again, and you have said that the current job is time limited, so you need to start planning for the end of it now, not January.

I'm sure your boss isn't expecting you to stay there until you are 67, and will recognise that you are at the start of your career. Talk to them, they may be a mine of useful information.

I'm a TM (not Virgin, I hasten to add), but feel free to PM, if I can help answer any questions I will.

FManc

Exactly know where you're coming from mate!
I'm now on a full-time fixed term contract until December but the way I'm looking at it is that we'll have a much better picture come August/September.
Defo go for the TM interview as it shows you're eager to progress/have an interest in the company and who knows what could happen. It's also a good opportunity to gain feedback. Good luck!

Clip

Established Member
Do it. As others have said - if only for the experience.

Dont worry about your line manager knowing about it either - it shows a willingness to progress your career further and im sure no manager would want to stop that for a member of staff. In fact some of us encourage it as if we think your good for the booking office then you could also be an excellent TM and thus a boon to the company and its image against the stories that are constantly on here of those who are just rubbish.

good luck with it.

scotsman

Established Member
Go for it - if they think you're the sort of person they're after, they'll train you up in everything you'll need to know anyway.

I imagine that your job satisfaction as a TM may well be higher too

Sammy h

Thanks everyone for the advice.

It is my rest day that day anyway so I think I might just pop along if anything for the experience as I do want to progress eventually so it will be good to go through the recruitment process... Which I have been few many times before with Virgin :)

Thanks again for the help.

E16 Cyclist

Don't forget though that the TM assessment is similar to drivers as in its two strikes and your out

So if your going to do make sure you prepare properly in order to do yourself justice

Sammy h

Don't forget though that the TM assessment is similar to drivers as in its two strikes and your out

So if your going to do make sure you prepare properly in order to do yourself justice

If you fail a certain part of the assessment or just in general? In the email I have received it is just a basic email telling me that there will be the usual two exams, group discussion and role play followed by an interview if you make it that far...

No mention of what's in the tests though so no way of revising for them?

A little harsh if you don't get the job you only get one more chance? I will have to ask at work.

AndyBoo

assessment day advice.

Ive been in a Virgin TM assessment day in the past, and messed up on the role play. you have to remember that virgin promote good customer service, even if this means people travel in first class for free. ALWAYS REMEMBER GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

good luck, let us know how you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.