• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Career change (Military man)

Status
Not open for further replies.

svendopel

Hi all, Currently in an Military role doing Engineering/Standards/Managerial but looking for a change. Always had an interest in trains but never made the moves to investigate further, but as I dont feel I'm progressing fast enough with my current employer I feel its time to start gathering skills/qualifications. I have access to resettlement training but am unsure on whats available and whats worth the money civilian course/training wise and would appreciate any advice you'd be willing to share?
Looking to hit the market sometime at the end of 2016 so have a year to prepare.
many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyd

Unless you have your heart set on driving/guarding a train, have a look at the massive variety of roles Network Rail has to offer.

svendopel

Driving is what I want to do. Did concider a engineering role but having donecthat for last 25 yrs I fancy a change. So are you working within the industry?

TomBoyd

Fair enough mate! Unsurprisingly, I work for NR? I'm in signalling, and I love it.

g8396

Hi mate, what are you currently doing within the military? I made the transition across a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. There are a few of us working in my depot on the rolling stock. I've been going through the process of trying to get a driver job while carrying out this role.
So if you want any help on resettlement etc let me know or drop me a PM.

svendopel

I'm an Aircraft engineer which I love but fancy a change. Havent registered for resettlement yet as wifes doing a nursing degree and doesn't want me leaving a well paid job until she gets her first job! :| I am going to a few recruitment fairs with a specific one for the Rail industry coming up this month which I'm exicted about. Job wise I looked at whats out there and the skills needed and driving fills the spot. I also have management and teaching skills with my current role which is a Standards role so very relevant to the Rail industry as its all about procedures, standards and also big on health and safety. Career plan would be to get into management/teaching after a few years.
Be really interested in any advice you could give from a SL point of view? Where in the country are you located?

So TomBoyd, whats the signalling role like and whats the pay and promotion like?
Cheers Gents!!:D

matt_world2004

Established Member
TfL used to do a scheme where they train ex service as tube drivers, but I havent see it mentioned for a long time.

TomBoyd

Signalling salaries range from 25-50k, plus overtime, shift allowance and location allowance, depending on location and grade.

You can expect to earn an extra 20%ish in overtime if you take what you're offered, especially at the moment!

The job is incredible. Varied, important, and challenging.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Signalling salaries range from 25-50k, plus overtime, shift allowance and location allowance, depending on location and grade.

You can expect to earn an extra 20%ish in overtime if you take what you're offered, especially at the moment!

It is important to say that not all engineering roles gather overtime or require shift working though.

svendopel

Have just googled it. Actually does look quite varied. We have a manned manual crossing just nr me (Rauceby) so I presume the guys opening/closing the barriers are Signallers? Is promotion readily available and how fast can you move up the wage scale? £25k with my military pension on top is ok but quite a pay drop from where I am at the moment. Obviously I dont expect to on £50k after the first year!:lol:
Cheers

TomBoyd

I spent 6 months in my grade 2 job before moving to my grade 8.

Talking about money is kind of a vulgar subject, so i'll pm you details. NR is a meritocracy now, by and large, and people are coming in off the street into high grade jobs in the new Route Operating Centres. These are grades 6-9 jobs, paying 36-45k basic.

The people you see are either signallers or more likely crossing keepers. The latter19 are on about 19k and don't do much. Though of course they are currently a vital part of the railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.