• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Career options and promotion as a operative (track maintenance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzly18

I was wondering what the career progression options are if you are to become a track maintenance operative? Can you move up, or become a signaller or train driver?
Would really appreciate some information, thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyd

Within Network Rail (which I presume is who the job is with) the progression options are excellent.

Though we obviously don't have train drivers, becoming a signaller is much easier from within the company than if you were outside. There are also opportunities in Signalling and Telecoms, or as a Mobile Ops Manager, and a thousand more things besides.

Darbs

Yes definitely lots of further career options. I spent 28 years on the track before moving into signalling. Track work is hard, can be a headache and frustrating! But I enjoyed it, made a lot of good mates, learnt lots, had so many skills. I would recommend it to anyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.