• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Airport scheduled flight details annouced

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

I emailed the airport two weeks ago to ask about getting to and from the airport into the centre of Carlisle using public transport and still haven’t had a reply. I wish this venture well, but they need to get their act together.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skifans

I emailed the airport two weeks ago to ask about getting to and from the airport into the centre of Carlisle using public transport and still haven’t had a reply. I wish this venture well, but they need to get their act together.
To be fair to them they do have a free minibus running from Carlisle station to meet the flights and have linked to the timetable from their homepage. I haven't flown from the airport yet but in surprised at the times, 90 minuets before departure leaving Carlise is just about ok but they seem to be leaving Carlise airport 15 minutes after the flight lands! I appreciate it's a small airport but still doesn't seem enough, wonder if they wait if there is a delay?

Attachments

• minibus-timetable.pdf
    545.1 KB · Views: 38

WestCoast

Established Member
I have a flight booked out of Carlisle next month and was wondering if I was going have to pay for a taxi to the airport from the station so this is good news. I am thinking given it's a "minibus" if it has seats for all passengers on the plane? I think the Saab 340s out of Carlisle have about 34 seats? I'll show up early in any case.

sheff1

Established Member
I am not familiar with Carlisle, but have been to a number of small airports where everyone has collected their luggage and been out through security/customs within 15 mins. As the buses are specifically linked to the flights it would be surprsing if they did not wait for a late arrival.

paul1609

Established Member
With Kirkwall airport in Orkney it has a half hourly service Stagecoach no 4 to the City Centre. The last bus waits till 10 mins after the last flight has landed. As its the same type of aircraft/ airline 15 mins seems adequate.

Established Member
I have a flight booked out of Carlisle next month and was wondering if I was going have to pay for a taxi to the airport from the station so this is good news. I am thinking given it's a "minibus" if it has seats for all passengers on the plane? I think the Saab 340s out of Carlisle have about 34 seats? I'll show up early in any case.
It's a 7 seat taxi. First come first serve. Wish I had known about it before I pre booked a taxi for £17 which is the going rate.

Roose

The station pickup point is outside Costa cafe on Court Square. There is a three-sided sign on a post although immediately after fitting it had slipped to waist height, where it remains.

darloscott

Same dedicated driver for the three month trial period when I caught it on day one. As others have said it’s a 7 seater branded and operated on first come first served basis!

WestCoast

Established Member
Thanks guys. It was really helpful to know where to go as I came out of the station - indeed the stop sign by the Costa is still at waste height! Quite right too that it was a seven seat taxi and there were four of us in total taking the trip.

The airport terminal is very fresh, like a mini version of Stobart's other airport at Southend. I liked that the check in area was also a public cafe and the staff greeted you as you arrived - slightly reminiscent of those quirky little airports you get in the Scottish Highlands & Islands.

I'd say the only negative was that the security seemed a tad overbearing though - they made me repack my liquids into their own bag (I have a sturdy transparent plastic bag in the right dimensions that every other airport I've been through in the past two years has accepted) & also seemed a bit miffed about the liquids being "just in limits". Also two plain clothed police officers were busying themselves looking at passports and asking mundane questions.

pitdiver

Can confirm that you can certainly get through Kirkwall Airportbin less than 15 mins. By the time you have disembarked a SAAB 340 and walked across the apron your luggage is already on the carousel in the arrivals area. Then abouta 3 min walk to the bus stop. ( Flew to Kirkwall in June)

Roose

Services from Carlisle were withdrawn early in the health crisis.

Today, BBC Radio Cumbria report that Loganair has no plans to resume them "for the foreseeable future".

paul1609

Established Member
Services from Carlisle were withdrawn early in the health crisis.

Today, BBC Radio Cumbria report that Loganair has no plans to resume them "for the foreseeable future".
I'd imagine that the aircraft have been deployed on more lucrative established routes following the collapse of Flybe. The Southampton to Scotland route for instance has loads of defence industry full fare flexible passengers.

The Airport posted this on their Facebook yesterday seemingly

Carlisle Lake District Airport continues to feel the impact of the global pandemic, with aviation one of the sectors hardest hit. The understandable decision by many airlines to cease operations for several months has seen a significant reduction in operations and bases closed across the country.
This situation, which affects many regional airports across the UK, is of course deeply disappointing for all involved but as a result of this backdrop, Carlisle Lake District Airport is unable to resume passenger operations at this time.
We are committed to making Carlisle Lake District Airport a success and are currently working on our recovery plan to reopen the airport for General Aviation, Business Aviation and Military traffic, we will post further updates as this timeline becomes clear

Roose

And from today's News and Star:

Carlisle has been dealt a major blow as the future of passenger air services hangs in the balance. Loganair, which operates flights from the city’s Lake District Airport, has announced it has no plans to resume flights. A spokesman for Loganair said: “We have no plans for the foreseeable future to restart flights from Carlisle airport.

Stobart Group also expects to make some roles redundant at the Carlisle airport

Mountain Man

And from today's News and Star:

Carlisle has been dealt a major blow as the future of passenger air services hangs in the balance. Loganair, which operates flights from the city’s Lake District Airport, has announced it has no plans to resume flights. A spokesman for Loganair said: “We have no plans for the foreseeable future to restart flights from Carlisle airport.

Stobart Group also expects to make some roles redundant at the Carlisle airport
Its really unfortunate for all involved but not surprising. Airlines are retreating all over the world and small niche operations like Carlisle will either thrive if demand is really robust or early casualties if not I suspect

gingerheid

Established Member
I'd imagine that the aircraft have been deployed on more lucrative established routes following the collapse of Flybe. The Southampton to Scotland route for instance has loads of defence industry full fare flexible passengers.

I think it was a Nyxair aircraft, that went back to Estonia.

thenorthern

Established Member
Sadly I knew it wouldn't last long, although the Corona Virus is officially the reason the flights have stopped I don't think that is the only reason.

WestCoast

Established Member
Sadly I knew it wouldn't last long, although the Corona Virus is officially the reason the flights have stopped I don't think that is the only reason.

When I flew to Belfast last summer the flight I took from Carlisle was completely full. However this doesn't prove profitability I guess.

thenorthern

Established Member
When I flew to Belfast last summer the flight I took from Carlisle was completely full. However this doesn't prove profitability I guess.

Problem for the Belfast route would have been Loganair are competing with ferries to Belfast which is rather unique for an area of Great Britain. The ferry isn't much slower and when you take into account having to go through airport security. It's also more frequent, got a more generous baggage allowance and you can take your car.

The London route wasn't ideal as it went to Southend I presume because Stobart Group who own both airports offered a good deal with airport fees for the airline. But if you take into account the frequency of the flights, distance to the airport and airport security time it's much easier to take the train from Carlisle to London and factoring in security and travel to the airport it's probably quicker.

With many of the smaller airports there is an incentive to keep them open I know Norwich, Humberside and Teesside all survive on the KLM flights to Amsterdam which then at Schiphol there is connections to other cities, those three airports also survive because of the oil and gas industry with flights to Aberdeen which is guaranteed income for airlines and the energy industry needs those flights. East Midlands survives because of air freight using the advantage that the airport is the largest with no night time restrictions. Inverness, Wick, Dundee, Campbeltown and Anglesey receive a lot of subsidies to keep them open also Anglesey has the advantage of sharing the site with RAF Valley.

Carlisle didn't have any of these things meaning the airport struggled.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Problem for the Belfast route would have been Loganair are competing with ferries to Belfast which is rather unique for an area of Great Britain. The ferry isn't much slower and when you take into account having to go through airport security. It's also more frequent, got a more generous baggage allowance and you can take your car.

The London route wasn't ideal as it went to Southend I presume because Stobart Group who own both airports offered a good deal with airport fees for the airline. But if you take into account the frequency of the flights, distance to the airport and airport security time it's much easier to take the train from Carlisle to London and factoring in security and travel to the airport it's probably quicker.

With many of the smaller airports there is an incentive to keep them open I know Norwich, Humberside and Teesside all survive on the KLM flights to Amsterdam which then at Schiphol there is connections to other cities, those three airports also survive because of the oil and gas industry with flights to Aberdeen which is guaranteed income for airlines and the energy industry needs those flights. East Midlands survives because of air freight using the advantage that the airport is the largest with no night time restrictions. Inverness, Wick, Dundee, Campbeltown and Anglesey receive a lot of subsidies to keep them open also Anglesey has the advantage of sharing the site with RAF Valley.

A great summary of GB airport economics.

daodao

Established Member

With respect to your post above, many small airports are struggling.

Wick has now closed for scheduled passenger services. KLM has withdrawn the Teesside to Amsterdam service. Eastern are not serving Cardiff as originally intended and the Cardiff to Ynys Mon service is suspended. There are currently very few services from Cardiff (compared to Bristol), with just a few holiday flights and a daily (formerly 3x daily) KLM service to Amsterdam.

route101

Established Member

Wick has now closed for scheduled passenger services. KLM has withdrawn the Teesside to Amsterdam service. Eastern are not serving Cardiff as originally intended and the Cardiff to Ynys Mon service is suspended. There are currently very few services from Cardiff (compared to Bristol), with just a few holiday flights and a daily (formerly 3x daily) KLM service to Amsterdam.

Did not realise KLM have stopped MME and Wick flights have stopped.

telstarbox

Established Member
How much would it cost to set up a KLM daily return flight at an airport which has no scheduled services currently? Assuming the runway, terminal, tower all exist and the flight runs on marginal resources.

gingerheid

Established Member

Worse still, the struggle for small airports started a long time before Covid. Blackpool, Brighton (Shoreham), Cambridge, Dundee, Gloucestershire, Londonderry, Manston, Oxford, Plymouth & Sheffield City all have had problems that were or threatened to be terminal for either passenger flights or the airport itself (as did Coventry, but that was maybe different).

Edit: Add Gloucestershire to list

Last edited:

daodao

Established Member
Worse still, the struggle for small airports started a long time before Covid. Blackpool, Brighton (Shoreham), Cambridge, Dundee, Londonderry, Manston, Oxford, Plymouth & Sheffield City all have had problems that were or threatened to be terminal for either passenger flights or the airport itself (as did Coventry, but that was maybe different).
Of these, only Derry and Dundee retain scheduled services, partly with government support.

thenorthern

Established Member
Regarding Cardiff to Anglesey, Wick Airport and Tessisde to Amsterdam they will return once the pandemic is over. The Teesside to Amsterdam route was used by 119,000 passengers last year which is more than enough to make it viable.

With Carlisle Loganair recorded 8,000 passengers in total last year for all routes.

Worse still, the struggle for small airports started a long time before Covid. Blackpool, Brighton (Shoreham), Cambridge, Dundee, Gloucestershire, Londonderry, Manston, Oxford, Plymouth & Sheffield City all have had problems that were or threatened to be terminal for either passenger flights or the airport itself (as did Coventry, but that was maybe different).

And Swansea.

daodao

Established Member
Regarding Cardiff to Anglesey, Wick Airport and Tessisde to Amsterdam they will return once the pandemic is over. The Teesside to Amsterdam route was used by 119,000 passengers last year which is more than enough to make it viable.

With Carlisle Loganair recorded 8,000 passengers in total last year for all routes.

And Swansea.
I doubt if scheduled flights will resume at Wick. The Teesside to Amsterdam route is officially only "suspended" by KLM, but I doubt its resumption in the near future. The future of the "Ieuan Air" service, introduced at the behest of the former AM for Yyns Mon when he was FM, depends on whether the Welsh government wishes to resume subsidising it.

Small airports in other countries have also lost most if not all scheduled services. Examples include Galway/Sligo/Waterford in Eire, Bern/Lugano in Switzerland, Lannion/Morlaix/St.Brieuc in Brittany, Avignon/St Etienne in SE France, etc.

gingerheid

Established Member
And Swansea.

Ah yes, of course :(

I doubt if scheduled flights will resume at Wick. The Teesside to Amsterdam route is officially only "suspended" by KLM, but I doubt its resumption in the near future. The future of the "Ieuan Air" service, introduced at the behest of the former AM for Yyns Mon when he was FM, depends on whether the Welsh government wishes to resume subsidising it.

Small airports in other countries have also lost most if not all scheduled services. Examples include Galway/Sligo/Waterford in Eire, Bern/Lugano in Switzerland, Lannion/Morlaix/St.Brieuc in Brittany, Avignon/St Etienne in SE France, etc.

Not to mention the associated bloodbath of the small, and sometimes not so small, airlines with the smaller aircraft that used to fly to them. It's a sector that now really now only mainly only exists for or because of PSOs and corporate shuttles.

thenorthern

Established Member

Wick will resume as the airport is very heavily subsidised by the Scottish Government. Teesside to Amsterdam will return as it's very lucrative for KLM not so much because it brings passengers to Amsterdam but more a lot of passengers then get connecting KLM flights to places all over the world which is very lucrative. Also given Teesside Airport is now owned by the Tees Valley Combined Authority the directed elected mayor has made it a major campaign pledge to get the airport to work again.

The Anglesey flights should really have stopped a long time ago as they aren't profitable and never will be I think the Welsh Government subsidise the flights for £136 per passenger. Given the massive subsidies and given that for a time they were having to fly passengers to Hawarden and then buss them to Anglesey for a time because RAF Valley was closed at one point I don't think the flights will end as the Welsh Government seems to put up with everything.

Interestingly though for Carlisle Airport the Cumbrian Local Enterprise Partnership invested £5 million in Carlisle Airport which given their investment they will want to have flights return.

paul1609

Established Member

When did Brighton (Shoreham) last have scheduled passenger services. I can recall someone trying to set up a service to Paris in about 2013 but I don't think it ever actually launched. It was still a grass landing strip until 1981.

Status
Not open for further replies.