• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle bus meets train ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1badger

Hello

Does anyone have any experience of getting the 17:39 replacement bus to Appleby to meet the 18:49 train down to Leeds

Does it wait if the bus is late and what options do you have if it does not connect

Thanks in advance

Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
No experience but

1. Googlemaps tells me the journey by car takes 42 minutes, the bus is allowed an hour plus a generous 10 minutes connection.

2. The train you refer to is on a Saturday (would have saved me time if you'd said that) so not in the rush hour

3. The only scenario I can envisage is if the bus was caught up in a massive tailback on the M6, and it is Northern''s responsibility to arrange onward transport anyway.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
But then Northern would have to get us back to Leeds ?

Indeed - but you are already on a bus ;) I bet they don't have to pay out for rail replacement bus delays but will have to if train passengers miss connections while waiting for your rail replacement bus.

IanD

Established Member
Indeed - but you are already on a bus ;) I bet they don't have to pay out for rail replacement bus delays but will have to if train passengers miss connections while waiting for your rail replacement bus.

I thought a replacment bus was classed as a train so surely the same delay compensation payments would apply.

No idea which would be cheaper - holding the train or transporting everyone by bus. If they didn't hold the train, not only would they have to compensate everyone on the bus, they'd have to find and pay a driver to get the bus to Skipton at least (and then drive back) and pay extra for hiring the bus.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I did the replacement bus a few weeks ago, albeit an earlier one. We made very good time.

I know your service leaves in the rush hour but I doubt Carlisle has that much traffic even then.

From experience the bus tends to take roughly 45 minutes between Carlisle and Appleby, however they are timetabled for an hour incase of relatively heavy traffic - its not very often they miss the connecting trains.

If the bus co-ordinator and station staff know a bus is running late and is going to pull in a couple of minutes after the train is scheduled to leave then they will hold the train normally for a maximum of 5 minutes. If the bus DOES miss the last train then there is a standby bus that will take passengers onwards to Skipton where the passengers will then be put onto trains.

From Monday onwards it will be anyone's guess what happens though as the trains will be going through to Armathwaite and buses will be all over the place, however it won't take long to find out (spending 2 hours at Appleby station and an hour at Settle station almost every day have their advantages sometimes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.