• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle-Glasgow-Edinburgh-Newcastle-Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, need to do this routing in a couple of weeks, is there any combination of ticket available to myself, apart from singles?

I'll be travelling at approximately 0900 from Carlisle, and have no restrictions otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Hi, need to do this routing in a couple of weeks, is there any combination of ticket available to myself, apart from singles?

I'll be travelling at approximately 0900 from Carlisle, and have no restrictions otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

I am pretty sure a Carlisle to Dunbar Off-Peak Return is valid via both Glasgow and Newcastle, and has the breaks of journey you require. But have not had time to check thoroughly.

Romilly

Established Member
That's a good suggestion.

One downside, though, is that a Carlisle-Dunbar offpeak return costs £57.40 whereas a Carlisle-Edinburgh offpeak day return (not valid via Hexham) costs only £28.40.

To minimise the price, I suspect that the better option may be Carlisle-Edinburgh Advance, Edinburgh-Newcastle Advance, and Newcastle-Carlisle Northern-Trains Advance. For travel on Wednesday (5 July) that would come to around £40 if you can take the trains with the cheapest Advances. (Or from around £35 if the OP books now for e.g Wednesday 12 July).

Last edited:

Olympian

Gretna Green to Dunbar off-peak return is only £37.20, is valid via both Carlisle/Glasgow and Berwick/Newcastle, and has no restriction on outward break of journey so you can start at Carlisle and therefore works for your itinerary so long as you get a train from Edinburgh that stops at Dunbar on its way to Newcastle. It's only valid after 0916 so the first train you could get from Carlisle to Glasgow is the 0922.

Status
Not open for further replies.