• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Platform 4 - What Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
In the latest issue of Railway Herald, there's a photo taken of 66549 dragging 70003 past Platform 4 at Carlisle which in the caption states it suffered considerable damage in the early hours of the 11th November.

What on earth happened there to cause so much damage?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
didnt notice that when i first flicked through RH i am too wanting to know what caused it. I can only think derailed train....?

Aictos

Established Member
didnt notice that when i first flicked through RH i am too wanting to know what caused it. I can only think derailed train....?

If it was then surely it would have been headline news here?

Still I'm sure one of the Northern based members might have a better idea hopefully, fingers cross......

DarloRich

Veteran Member
either something fell off and was dragged, sonmething was loose on a passing vehicle, a door was a jar or something out of gauge went along the wrong line

Tugzrule

There'd always been a crack on that section of platform 3 (not 4) and with the way the foundations are any passing train on any line could cause enough vibrations to dislodge it. The strange thing was most of the debris after it was in B-road (the first middle line nearest to 3) and nothing in p3 itself so either they'd done a half-baked job of clearing it up or it hads fell in a very bizarre way.

Platform was/is cordonded off and has since hads new concrete put down on Sunday but is still not at the level of the rest of the platform

alanf

Probably just failed and someone saw a 70 for the first time and thought it was damaged not realising they built them that ugly

Alan

fgwrich

Established Member
There'd always been a crack on that section of platform 3 (not 4) and with the way the foundations are any passing train on any line could cause enough vibrations to dislodge it. The strange thing was most of the debris after it was in B-road (the first middle line nearest to 3) and nothing in p3 itself so either they'd done a half-baked job of clearing it up or it hads fell in a very bizarre way.

Platform was/is cordonded off and has since hads new concrete put down on Sunday but is still not at the level of the rest of the platform

Could be that too...Just wondering, if it could be from a Intermodal / Freightliner Flat? I.E poorly loaded container box / container box has become dislodged due to high winds? And as a result, has hit the edge of the platform several times - as has happened several times through several other stations platforms...

Status
Not open for further replies.