• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
At some point in the next few weeks I might go over to Carlisle and take a few photographs.

Is this is a good station to visit? What can I expect? I know Virgin serve the station. Commuter traffic is my primarily goal - freight doesn't interest me.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Serving Carlisle you have:

Virgin
1tph between Glasgow and London, operated by a 390.
1tph between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Birmingham, operated by either a 221 or a 390.
Transpennine
1tph between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Manchester, operated by a 185.
Scotrail
An irregular service to Glasgow via Kilmarnock, operated by a 156 (although there's typically about 1tph to Dumfries).
Northern
1tph to Newcastle, often operated by a Scotrail 156, but other than that it's a bit of a mixed bag and 142s are not uncommon.
Six or seven services a day to Leeds, operated by a 158.
About 1tph to Barrow via the Cumbrian Coast (evenings and Sundays all terminate at Whitehaven), again a bit of a mixed bag although 153s are common.

HST Power

Established Member
Much appreciated - thanks Eagle!

Regarding the Pendolino services, how long do they stop in Carlisle for? Would there be sufficient time to jump on and get a shot of the interior?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Varies almost by train - northbound is usually only 1 minute or so, but southbound can be anything from 1-3 minutes.

Condor7

In response to Eagles excellent summary, it goes without saying (although I am saying it) :) that there is equally the same number of trains in the opposite direction for each service.

The Leeds trains and returns are sometimes strengthen by 153's.

I am not sure if the class 325 mail trains interest you but there is one passes late afternoon each day.

To look out for however are the new Desiro class 350's being acquired by Transpennine to replace the 185's on the Manchester Airport Glasgow/Edinburgh route. These are to be slowly introduced this year.
I had read this will happen this July onwards, but have not seen or heard of any yet, but the odd one or two could put in an appearance any time, unless someone has an update on that?

Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Thanks for the information everyone. Will be jumping in the car tomorrow and heading down to get some shots.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Regarding the Pendolino services, how long do they stop in Carlisle for? Would there be sufficient time to jump on and get a shot of the interior?

I would not even risk that; the chances are you'll get trapped on it by somebody walking behind you and that could prove to be very expensive indeed...

Condor7

Thanks for the information everyone. Will be jumping in the car tomorrow and heading down to get some shots.

If you are going today (Monday) there is also a West Coast empty coaching stock to Fort William passing around 10:15am

HST Power

Established Member
Went down to Carlisle this morning. Saw many Pendolino trains, one Voyager and a great deal of the 156. Got some good shots - just need to upload them.

I also enjoyed the driving roads heading into Carlisle. There were some fantastic views of the countryside. Plenty of room to maneuvre and we sure did! :P

Condor7

Went down to Carlisle this morning. Saw many Pendolino trains, one Voyager and a great deal of the 156. Got some good shots - just need to upload them.

I also enjoyed the driving roads heading into Carlisle. There were some fantastic views of the countryside. Plenty of room to maneuvre and we sure did! :P

The M6 through Cumbria is stunning, and traffic is light compared to many parts of the country.

I am not sure where you are from, but Leeds is a great station for passenger train lovers with such a wide variety of trains. In my life I travel between Carlisle and Leeds on a regular basis so have the best of both worlds.

Glad you enjoyed Carlisle, it is a lovely station and the staff are very enthusiast friendly.

HST Power

Established Member
My local intercity stop is Stevenage, but I seldom go there as I'm normally passing through onto London King Cross.

Carlisle was practically devoid of staff. I didn't see any ticket gates. I take it VT have a thorough onboard checking policy?

I was thinking of booking a ticket to Leeds but I've heard mixed reviews about the station.

Condor7

I was thinking of booking a ticket to Leeds but I've heard mixed reviews about the station.

When you say mixed views are you meaning as far as staff are concerned?

I have not had a lot of experience platform ending at Leeds, but did so a while back and did not have any problems.
Unlike Carlisle that has quite a large group of enthusiasts they are much thinner on the ground at Leeds often none at all.
I always assumed this was because Leeds is a passenger train station with only a handful of freight through it each day, and not because of staff being awkward, but would appreciate anyone else's experience.

As you prefer passenger trains this must be a perfect station for you.
One of the busiest in the North, and such a wide variety of units and expresses. When I went I found it hard to keep up sometimes to record all the movements in my notebook.

If you would like more information please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.