• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle to Appleby replacement bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFox

I'm considering getting a Freedom of the North East rover. It's valid from 08:45 during the week.

In the past when I've had of these tickets I've been able to get the 08:53 Carlisle to Leeds service.

But during the current line closure, the 08:53 has been replaced by a bus to Appleby that leaves Carlisle at 08:25

Common sense would say that this bus would be valid using the FONE ticket, as it replaces an 'off peak' train, but is that actually the case?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
I would suggest that this is fine because you would be connecting into the same train as in the published timetable, but with the amendment due to engineering work. For confirmation, you could email Northern with your query, but phrased carefully. In practice, as gray says, its very unlikely that the bus driver will ask to see tickets!

pdeaves

Established Member
In practice, as gray says, its very unlikely that the bus driver will ask to see tickets!

In general, rail replacement bus driver ticket responsibility is limited to checking that you have a ticket of some description, not its validity. They may not even do that (depending on contract and/or how conscientious they are).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In general, rail replacement bus driver ticket responsibility is limited to checking that you have a ticket of some description, not its validity. They may not even do that (depending on contract and/or how conscientious they are).

I have not for many years seen one check at all. They are more interested in stopping you taking your coffee etc on board.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ignoring all the irrelevant chitchats, yes, the answer is that you are fine to use that ticket on the bus as the bus is running in replacement of a rail service on which the ticket would have been valid.

BlueFox

I would suggest that this is fine because you would be connecting into the same train as in the published timetable

In this case though, the bus is part of the published timetable.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've never had my ticket checked or asked for when boarding the said bus.

I've used the bus three times. On the first two occasions, not long after the replacement bus service started, the ticket was checked properly, by Northern staff. The third time (which was only last week), I just got on the bus.

gray1404

Established Member
The other thing to bear in mind that even if you do encounter a ticket check as you get on the bus, it may just be accepted. The staff on the ground my not actually know the exact detail as to the validity of the ticket in terms of time restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.