• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmarthen to Lampeter/ South Wales buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT_USER

Hi all,

I'm planning to visit a friend in Lampeter next weekend (Friday to Sunday) and given it would likely cost me the best part of a ton in petrol to drive I'm looking at taking the train to Carmarthen then onward by bus. Buses seem to connect fine according to the X40 timetable on the Arriva website and I've allowed generous connections both ways to cover for potential delays.

I intend to return on Sunday and there is only one bus timetabled from Lampeter - does this normally run roughly to time, is it ever/ often cancelled or late?

Lastly if anyone knows of a better way to get from London to Lampeter please do tell!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm planning to visit a friend in Lampeter next weekend (Friday to Sunday) and given it would likely cost me the best part of a ton in petrol to drive I'm looking at taking the train to Carmarthen then onward by bus. Buses seem to connect fine according to the X40 timetable on the Arriva website and I've allowed generous connections both ways to cover for potential delays.

I intend to return on Sunday and there is only one bus timetabled from Lampeter - does this normally run roughly to time, is it ever/ often cancelled or late?

Lastly if anyone knows of a better way to get from London to Lampeter please do tell!

Have you checked the timetable recently? The X40 timetable was changed this Monday, messing up connections with other buses. The new arrival time in Aberystwth for most trips on weekdays is now 7mins after the trains leave!

You could try looking at a train to Birmingham, then to Aberystwyth and catching the X40 in the other direction, not sure which would be faster.

SWT_USER

Have you checked the timetable recently? The X40 timetable was changed this Monday, messing up connections with other buses. The new arrival time in Aberystwth for most trips on weekdays is now 7mins after the trains leave!

You could try looking at a train to Birmingham, then to Aberystwyth and catching the X40 in the other direction, not sure which would be faster.

Don't you just love integrated transport...

I checked the timetable this morning via a google search which took me to the Arriva site, nothing with a date but I would assume their site has the updated timetable? It shows the bus as leaving Lampeter at 14:10.

I have done Euston > Aberystwyth before and it felt very long! I will try Paddington which is slightly easier for me than Euston and there is a direct train from Carmarthen on the Sunday. As I said my only worry is the bus on the Sunday.

anthony263

Established Member
Check on carmarthenshire councils website, fairplay to them they normally update the site very quickly and normally have the new timetable on the site before the date the service changes start.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Check on carmarthenshire council's website.

The council fairplay normally have the timetabled updated quickly you can see the revised timetables uploaded before they come into affect

Status
Not open for further replies.