• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carnet ticket claimed to be altered but it was not

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter9

Hi all,

I have been returning from my work this Wednesday. I am using carnet regularly on my journey. Sometimes I buy new carnet before using the old one (e.g. when you leave tickets in the office or forget at home, just buy a new one or just buy then before i run out of them because there is no queue in the ticket office).
One of the ticket sets stayed on my table for 3 weeks. And I have made few “pen tests” on it (doodles on the ticket that were done to test the pen, noting like numbers or dates). Normally I clean them from my pockets every few days) and I throw away all the tickets (seasons and carnets)

Despite ticket to be a little bit written I decided to use the ticket on Wednesday as to me it was still valid (it hasn’t been used before, there was no date, the date was not altered…). From that point of view, I would not break the bylaw of the railways because it clearly says that my intention would have to be to mislead the company (stuff) as it is written in the rail bylaw.

However, the inspector on the gates (on the entrance; not the exit) stopped me and said that I have altered the ticket, which I denied. He asked me how many times I commute an I have honestly answered 4-5 times a week. He said that in that case the ticket shouldn’t be old a little more than 3 weeks. I honestly said that I have used another carnet set in the meantime (and when I was checking my account balance latter I have also bought the weekly ticket during that period). The problem is that I have bought the other carnet tickets with cash, use all tickets and after that I picked up ticket from my desk. I have however paid my weekly season ticket by card. The was, after the expiration thrown away. In general, I pay sometimes cash, sometimes card; depending if I have cash in my pocket and depending if I pay on the machine or at the counter.

The inspector also took the ticket from day before (which I did not throw away at that time). I have offered him as that was the only proof that I use fresh carnet ticket every day.

The inspector also used the machine and he said, that the machine is saying that the ticket has been used before, but in fact the machine did not show anything. I was next to him when he was using that and the machine screen stayed as it was from the machine switch on. No led blink or other signal was given. So my guess was that the inspector was just boo****ting that it was used before. That was a shock for me. I just asked myself why the hell is he doing (but said nothing to him). He also claimed that via card payments it can be checked (wtf? If they are recording the payment cards connecting to the tickets on either self serve machines or terminals in sales offices, they are breaching EMV card standards). Why on the world would inspector “threaten” to the passenger in this way?

He took my details, wrote down that I commute 4-5 times a week and the other things on the reports were just ticking the boxes (which I didn’t check but I should…) as I was not aware what this procedure is and what my rights and duties are

Later on I was thinking what else I can be accused off.

And then I read the terms of usage online where they say that the date shall be marked 07/03/18 (and mine was 7/3/18). This is not written on the slip that you get with carnet tickets where the summary of T&C is written, and I have never been punished for that despite having a bunch of checks. Since it happened on the entrance and if the prosecution comes back with that claim; wouldn’t it be more reasonable to ask me to add 0 in front of the date? And then I have thought that by providing the ticket that I used the day before I basically incriminated myself because on that ticket the date was written 6 and not 06 and they could claim that the ticket was invalid because of that for the day before. Can they do that? However they cannot claim that it was either altered or already used.

Explanation of my “carnet” economy is:
I am commuting for my work Finsbury park to Hatfield on a daily basis (that means 4-5 times a week). Sometimes I work from home, sometimes I have a day off.

I am using carnet a lot because:
-it is cheaper to buy carnet off-peak then to buy weekly ticket; it is not worth buying monthly ticket, if you know that you will be off few days (now it is Easter)
-there is no risk that the carnet ticket will get unused (e.g. once I got sick for more than a week after using the weekly ticket only for a day!)
-sometimes I travel only one way (e.g. I go to the airport by bus in the evening, have a teambuilding session where my colleague takes me from closer to London to the reach of tfl etc…). this kind of situations happens on average app 2 times a month; enough for me to buy only one-way carnet set every 2 months.
-sometimes I go (in the evening) to Kings Cross or Moorgate, Highburry and islington, Old Street if I have something in the city center in the evening (e.g meeting with my girlfreind); in that case carnet tickets have another advantage – they are valid to all London terminals on the route from Hatfield, so I save for the TFL fare. Even if I use the underground from Kings cross it still makes sense because I don’t have to run out of train to validate the oyster and then jump back to train.

However if I am planning to commute peak times at least once a week I usually buy the weekly ticket. If I know there is a high chance to commuting the entire month (no, Christmas, no Easter, no job interviews, no holidays, no working from home etc..) then I buy monthly ticket.

I am asking you for advice? Shall I send an email to the Great northern asking them to forensically check the ticket and tell them on which day do they think it was used before even they come back to me? For me the most shocking thing was the inspector claiming the ticket has been used despite the machine showing him nothing (because he did not pull the machine deep enough that the magstripe could be read).

On the slip that I have received from the inspector there is written “if fail to carry, passenger to send a copy of their season ticket or railcard within 14 days to the address below. Failure to do so my lead to prosecution. Does it mean that I have to respond to the great northern in 14 day from Wensday?

Thank you for all the advices.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Your post is a little long and hard to follow.

My understanding is this:
  1. You've been stopped by and RPI using a carnet ticket that had some additional markings on, in addition to the correct date in the format 7/3/18, not 07/03/18
  2. The RPI claims that the ticket has been used before and put it through a reader, though you dispute this reading
  3. You have a number of Carnets "on the go" at the moment.
  4. You have not yet received any further communication from Great Northern and have provided them with your correct name and address.
There's little more you can do until you hear from the train company - when you do, post back with the letter. Speculation about possible offences is only going to cause you stress.

In the meantime I will make the following observations:
  1. Your use of multiple carnets, a mix of card and cash payments and a weekly season will have raised all number of questions in the RPIs mind and a few red flags
  2. You can challenge the pre-use of the ticket if it does come to court - depending on the evidence presented by Great Northern there may be a number of different routes to go down. I would not be walking this path without a solicitor in hand.

peter9

Your post is a little long and hard to follow.

My understanding is this:
  1. You've been stopped by and RPI using a carnet ticket that had some additional markings on, in addition to the correct date in the format 7/3/18, not 07/03/18
All you statements are correct.
I would also expose that under your point one.I was stopped at the entrance to the rail (not exit) when i was showing the carnet. I understand, if the ticket was counterfeited but additional marks in such case would be the reason to reject entry (and ask me to to replace the ticket in the office). At least that would be my logical reasoning.

Your use of multiple carnets, a mix of card and cash payments and a weekly season will have raised all number of questions in the RPIs mind and a few red flags
True But it does not mean that if you are doing that you are actually doing a crime.

I know that it might look suspicious. Is on me proofing that i was using other tickets on me or is it first to proof that the ticket was used before on them? Because in second case they can do that only if they falsify the evidence. In first case it is for me impossible to proof because of different payment methods (cash).

My main worry at this moment is the text on the slip that i got "if fail to carry, passenger to send a copy of their season ticket or railcard within 14 days to the address below. Failure to do so my lead to prosecution.". Does it mean i have to respond now? just sent them an email what ym further actions should be or wait for a letter from them? This is the reason that i am writing here. I am worried that i will miss some deadline. Would it be smart just dropping them an email asking what my further actions should be?

thank you.

cuccir

Established Member
I would also expose that under your point one.I was stopped at the entrance to the rail (not exit) when i was showing the carnet. I understand, if the ticket was counterfeited but additional marks in such case would be the reason to reject entry (and ask me to to replace the ticket in the office). At least that would be my logical reasoning

If the you were attempting to enter the railway to travel with a forged ticket, you could still be convicted of fare evasion even if you had not yet travelled.

My main worry at this moment is the text on the slip that i got "if fail to carry, passenger to send a copy of their season ticket or railcard within 14 days to the address below. Failure to do so my lead to prosecution.".

This does not apply to you; it refers to people who hold a season ticket who have been stopped because they left it at home.

cuccir

Established Member
I know that it might look suspicious. Is on me proofing that i was using other tickets on me or is it first to proof that the ticket was used before on them? Because in second case they can do that only if they falsify the evidence. In first case it is for me impossible to proof because of different payment methods (cash).

It is up to them to prove that the ticket was invalid, not for you to prove that it was.

Two further observations:
* Carnet tickets are complicated. You've already noticed that you were filling out the date in a way that was technically incorrect. If any of the marks you made could be interpreted as previous dates or attempts to fiddle with the ticket then you might have unintenionally invalidated the ticket.

* English is obviously not your first language. Not a problem, but if you're writing replies that might have legal implications, I strongly advise you to find a friend who you trust who is a native English speaker (ideally a professional person: doctor, lawyer, teacher etc) to help you

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Just a couple of things as extra background.

All Carnets are blocked at kings cross. By the barriers. People miss trains as a result because GTR refuse to tackle fraud on this ticket and put it on “the key.” If they did the original poster would not be in this position.

If you mark the ticket 1/2/18 for example they will inspectors normally stamp the ticket anyway. (Shinny side so it rubs of immediately)

I feel for the OP. If GTR were serious about tackling fraud they would use their smartcard. They don’t preferring to victimise causal travellers. If you really wanted to use the ticket fraudulently - it is too easy.

6Gman

Established Member
I'm not familiar with Carnet Tickets as such, but I do use a ticket which requires me to insert a date and month and it is made very clear that the date must be 08 not 8, and the month 01 not 1.

For obvious reasons. Otherwise my eighth January ticket could be used on 08/01 and on 18/01 and on 18/11.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't made clear on Carnet instructions.

6Gman

Established Member
If you mark the ticket 1/2/18 for example they will inspectors normally stamp the ticket anyway. (Shinny side so it rubs of immediately)

Not sure quite what you mean by this. Can you clarify?

peter9

If the you were attempting to enter the railway to travel with a forged ticket
I know. But i guess that damaged ticket (what they can actually accuse me) is not the same as forged ticket. I was thinking that the right approach would be asking them first (before entering the date) if i can use the ticket or shall i replace it...)
Regarding that mine main worry is that they will just follow what inspector wrote and issue the fine or raise appeal to court without even reasonably checking if the was used before or the data was changed.

nglish is obviously not your first language. Not a problem, but if you're writing replies that might have legal implications, I strongly advise you to find a friend who you trust who is a native English speaker (ideally a professional person: doctor, lawyer, teacher etc) to help you
True :)

I'd be surprised if this wasn't made clear on Carnet instructions.
well. it does not on the slip you are getting when buying. But online they have stated that. There was no instructions on the slip like "for details about carnet rules read www..."

Failed Unit

Established Member
Not sure quite what you mean by this. Can you clarify?

All tickets are gripped. They normally do it 3 or 4 times. But they stamp the side which is printed (as in to / from etc). This is odd because the ink from the stamp just rubs off. If they turned the ticket and stamp the white side this would not happen. Some also use a hole punch on the date.
I always fill in the date without the 0. Only ever had one RPI mention if. It was just that as well. Next time put 01 rather than 1.

Last edited:

falcon

It is up to them to prove that the ticket was invalid, not for you to prove that it wasn't:

Two further observations:
* Carnet tickets are complicated. You've already noticed that you were filling out the date in a way that was technically incorrect. If any of the marks you made could be interpreted as previous dates or attempts to fiddle with the ticket then you might have unintenionally invalidated the ticket.

* English is obviously not your first language. Not a problem, but if you're writing replies that might have legal implications, I strongly advise you to find a friend who you trust who is a native English speaker (ideally a professional person: doctor, lawyer, teacher etc) to help you
Edit to: "was valid"

cuccir

Established Member
Regarding that mine main worry is that they will just follow what inspector wrote and issue the fine or raise appeal to court without even reasonably checking if the was used before or the data was changed.

They won't (or are unlikely) to try to go to court without sufficient evidence for a successful prosecution; it costs them money to go to court.

They'll look at their evidence (the ticket; the inspector's notes) and will decide what to do based on that. It is likely that they'll write to you asking for your account as part of this. But until they do this, the best approach is to wait and see what any such letter says.

6Gman

Established Member
One of the ticket sets stayed on my table for 3 weeks. And I have made few “pen tests” on it (doodles on the ticket that were done to test the pen, noting like numbers or dates). Normally I clean them from my pockets every few days) and I throw away all the tickets (seasons and carnets)

Despite ticket to be a little bit written I decided to use the ticket on Wednesday as to me it was still valid (it hasn’t been used before, there was no date, the date was not altered…). From that point of view, I would not break the bylaw of the railways because it clearly says that my intention would have to be to mislead the company (stuff) as it is written in the rail bylaw.

I'm puzzled by the two sections I've highlighted.

Why on earth would you make "pen tests" on a carnet ticket? Doodles? You must realise that any marks on a ticket could be misinterpreted.

And what does "a little bit written" mean? Again, you can understand the ticket inspector being sceptical of a carnet ticket that's "a little bit written" and has "doodles" on it.

Established Member
I'm puzzled by the two sections I've highlighted.

Why on earth would you make "pen tests" on a carnet ticket? Doodles? You must realise that any marks on a ticket could be misinterpreted.

And what does "a little bit written" mean? Again, you can understand the ticket inspector being sceptical of a carnet ticket that's "a little bit written" and has "doodles" on it.
Surely this in itself would be enough to invalidate the ticket?

xotGD

Established Member
You have to enter the date as '01' so that it can only be altered to '04' for reuse, rather than '1' to '4' to '14'. Scratch-off tickets are much better than self-fill boxes for the date.

peter9

The report after more than a year.

No letter (at all) from the rail company arrived. Is this normal? I was expecting at least the letter saying "everything is fine" (ticket genuinely was not altered in a way it would mislead controller).

The data i told the controller was correct (he checked the address in the computer). Except if he did not enter the address on the form correctly (but the data i provided was 100% correct)???

I am asking this, because i am about to move to another address soon. Is there anything I shall do regarding this case?

thanks

cuccir

Established Member
After that length of time, it's reaonable for you to conclude that the case has been dropped. I don't think you should feel that you need to inform them of your new address. Whether your case was reviewed and they decided there was no evidence of you doing anything wrong, or the details were just lost, we can't say.

Legally, they cannot start prosecuting you more than 6 months after the event.

There are other less likely possibilites - as you say, perhaps he put an incorrect address or they failed to send you the paperwork but continued with the prosecution anyway - but these are much less likely than the other explanations. And if they have happened - don't worry as it is easy to cancel a prosecution that you were not made aware of.

I would consider the matter finished at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.