• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carnet ticket - likely prosecution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
presumably the first thing that should be investigated is the content of the mag stripe on the back. If, as the OP claims, it went through the barrier at Hitchin that day, that will be recorded on the magstripe and that should be the end of it!

Should it? You still have to date tickets even if putting them through the barriers. Theoretically, should the barriers not accept it anymore because the magstripe has it marked as used, one could still show it to staff to be let through.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

b0b

Established Member
Should it? You still have to date tickets even if putting them through the barriers. Theoretically, should the barriers not accept it anymore because the magstripe has it marked as used, one could still show it to staff to be let through.

The ticket should contain the date/time and station the ticket was last put through a barrier.

furlong

Established Member
presumably the first thing that should be investigated is the content of the mag stripe on the back. If, as the OP claims, it went through the barrier at Hitchin that day, that will be recorded on the magstripe and that should be the end of it!

The magnetic stripe pays no role whatsoever in validating the ticket.

RJ

Established Member
A ticket going through a barrier isn't proof of anything. I've used a ticket to open a barrier when I was using a different one to travel before. If they can be used to incriminate, it's all to easy to scramble any data on them anyway.

abds660

So I was issued the ticket in the second last week of April and still haven't heard anything (12th June). Is it likely they just aren't bothering to prosecute? I was told I would hear something within 2 weeks and nothing has happened so far .. tempted to call and ask but wondering if that's a good idea!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Don't worry they have not forgotten you, it's probably just a backlog at the prosecution department. Most of these offices only have a few, dedicated, members of staff and cases can soon build up. I believe that they have six months to lay the case before a court?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.