• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carnet tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM70

Established Member
I have a distant - but possibly faulty - memory that the introduction of carnet-style flexible season tickets was either in the tender specification for the current Northern franchise or Arriva’s successful bid (or both), but I can’t find any evidence to support my memory.

Does anyone know?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
I have a distant - but possibly faulty - memory that the introduction of carnet-style flexible season tickets was either in the tender specification for the current Northern franchise or Arriva’s successful bid (or both), but I can’t find any evidence to support my memory.

Does anyone know?
It was part of the Bid for SWR. It’s a waste of time. Five percent discount (on books of ten?) but it expires in thirty days. Not worth it.

cjohnson

Expiry is 2 months for SWR's carnets.
Looked into it for my partner (who has a part-time commute to London from Ashtead/Leatherhead), but these are the handful of stations where SWR's smartcard (and therefore carnets) is not valid (you are expected to use Southern's key smartcard); even though there are SWR carnet fares in the database, and SWR run the majority of services from those stations.

Paul Duck

Does anyone know?
It was certainly there regarding Northern's franchise spec and carnets. I'm still waiting to see a Northern Carnet.

SteveM70

Established Member
It was certainly there regarding Northern's franchise spec and carnets. I'm still waiting to see a Northern Carnet.

Glad it isn’t me imagining stuff! Have you got any evidence of this or is it just your memory?

bubieyehyeh

There was a trial on southern key between horsham and victoria of something carnet like with ability to buy different number of journeys.

SteveM70

Established Member
Had a look on gov.uk yesterday and found a copy of the franchise agreement and found this:

Section 65.1 states:

"with effect from the Fares Setting Round commencing in January 2017 introduce: (i) a Peak Carnet Fare; and (ii) an Off-Peak Carnet Fare, which will provide discounts of at least 16% on the equivalent ‘Standard Anytime Day Return’ and ‘Off-Peak Day Return’ Fares"

Pleased to discover my memory isn’t completely shot!

No real point in raising this with Northern in the current circumstances but I’ve emailed the DfT asking what (if anything) they’ve done to hold Northern to account for their failure to adhere to this part of the agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.