Carriage Cleaner vacancy with ATW

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by RuthProbert, 8 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuthProbert

RuthProbert New Member

Hi

Does anyone on this forum work as a carriage cleaner with Arriva Trains Wales? If so, I am keen to know whether the role involves cleaning the outside of trains aswell as the inside?

Thanks!
    R.

2. coxxy

coxxy Member

Dont know 100% but yea i would imagine that would be part of the job as long as its at a depot and not a station.

3. Richard1960

Richard1960 Member

Would have thought they use a machine rather like a car wash to do the outside of trains.

I go through Norwich relatively frequently and Greater Anglia have a train wash there, would have thought Arriva in Wales did this too for the outside of the trains otherwise how would you clean the top.?

Would be very surprised indeed if the outside of the trains were cleaned manually.

4. CockneySparrow

CockneySparrow Established Member

The other main thing is to consider the H&S situation of workers cleaning the trains manually trackside at NIGHT

5. TDK

TDK Established Member

The cleaners at ATW only have to clean the inside of the trains including the internal faces of the windows, the toilets, the bins, mop or hoover the floors depending on stock, clean the drivers cabs and wipe down the tables. There are 2 different roles, one is nights and the above is the norm and one is days where the day shift will run through the train whilst it is between stops picking up rubbish and changing the bins, the day shift will also need to do ad-hoc cleaning at remote PNB points and also clean a train if requested by the train crew if someone has been sick or the toilets are blocked.

With the night shift you will need PTS as you need to clean trains on the yard and depots.

Different locations have different types of work also.

6. craigybagel

craigybagel Established Member

7. RuthProbert

RuthProbert New Member

Many thanks for this wonderful clip and for all the replies. Are there any risks to a carriage cleaner working in a depot of being hit by a train? I ask because a deaf friend has applied for a job as carriage cleaner and he is worried that ATW will be concerned about the fact that he's deaf. Employers often panic about health and safety when a deaf person applies for a job, and I can imagine that ATW may be concerned about a deaf employee not being able to hear a train horn, but I can't help thinking that if health and safety is properly managed then there should not be any significant risk of a carriage cleaner being hit by a train?

Last edited: 12 Apr 2015
  8. Nevillehill

Nevillehill Member

Hello I'm a train cleaner with Northern, firstly you will do a depot safety course and pts course, it's all about safety be vigilant ect.

As for your friend it depends if you clean trains on a station as some trains stable on platforms overnight, but such as Neville Hill depot you need to clean trains parked outside in a siding, they train you and you will learn where to walk safety walkways ect.

It's all about safety such as how to clean up sick also what to do should you find a needle stick.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2015
  9. darren111

darren111 Member

Hi Nevillehill,
    How is it going with Northern? Are you still based at Nevillehill?

10. Nevillehill

Nevillehill Member

Yes still at Nevillehill and doing ok, we now do front end cleaning , next they will want us to clean the wheels lol.

11. TDK

TDK Established Member

ATW cleaners need PTS and have to pass a medical that includes hearing so I am afraid your friend may not be accepted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.