Carriage Washer Plants

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by badassunicorn, 19 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badassunicorn

badassunicorn Member

Hi all, my question is to do with train washer plants. I've seen on the continent they have some pretty amazing washers which have moving brushes for cleaning the front, sides and even the tops of trains (even with a pan). Are there any like this in the UK? The only ones I've seen are stationary drive through types which don't really do much other than get the train wet. How do some TOCs manage to keep their stock sparkling clean while others seem to have grubby trains. Is it down to hand cleaning?
    Cheers

2. monsento

monsento Member

FGW do it by hand with agency staff...

3. Clip

Clip Established Member

Front ends are normally done by hand bashing and I am not sure for how much longer this practice will be allowed given the death of a poor soul at Ramsgate.
    #

I do know the DLR has a wash with one roller that cleans the front but this looks to be a timely business.

4. GrimsbyPacer

GrimsbyPacer Established Member

There's a washer at Nottingham (Eastside), not sure if it washes the top.

5. 87015

87015 Established Member

Keeping the washes serviceable, putting units through reguarly enough, hand cleaning seem to be the biggest drivers, and paying for the manpower to do it - small and simple things really. IMO its largely down to TOC interest in keeping stuff presentable rather than the actual equipment.

6. gith

gith Member

There's one at Fratton TCD, you can see from most of the FTN platforms but I've never watched it in use. I believe it washed the Desiros and SWT diesel.

Also fairly certain that's where toe 444 derailed earlier in the year.

7. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

So because one person died the practice (which has gone on for years) should be banned, no doubt on some dubious H&S interpretation!

Are you aware of the circumstance of this persons death?
    It is always sad when somebody looses their life at work but unless there was some failings in the working practices ten sometimes (despite what some people like to believe) accidents do happen, and they will continue to happen.
    You can minimise risk but cannot eradicate it!

8. Clip

Clip Established Member

Not immediately but I do know it is being looked at because one death is too many as I am sure you will agree. And please note I did not say that banning it outright was a certainty

Yes I do know the circumstances surrounding his death which is why it is being looked at and whilst it may not be ruled out all over the network given that large parts are not electrified, by not allowing the practice at places where the risk is much higher does in fact lead to minimising the risk to persons carrying out the job.

That's not my decision but I can see why they would come to it if they did.

9. Freightmaster

Freightmaster Established Member

What about washing their trains?? ;)

MARK

10. alexl92

alexl92 Established Member

11. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

Nope, its the carbon dust building up in the pan well and then being washed out of the drainage channel, it then sets rock hard on the body side.

Last edited: 20 May 2015
  12. t_star2001uk

t_star2001uk Member

The wash plant at Wembley does the sides and the roof. The front ends are cleaned as part of a fuel point exam.

13. Panupreset

Panupreset Member

Badassunicorn - they only come up clean after hand bashing. Swap 3 and 4 new shed my lovely lads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.