• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carto Metro map v3.9 just released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogmi

Franklin has just released v3.9 of the Carto Metro London map

From Franklin:
"I couldn't list all the changes, but the most important are:
- Opening of Meridian Water station
- Layout changes at Uxbridge, Neasden & Ealing Common Depot
- Paddington NR approch (up to the connection to the Elizabeth line, ready for the opening
:)
)"

View and scroll around online
or download the PDF version for offline quick and easy access at any time (recommended)

Also see the maps for some other countries metro systems via links on the side of the page

If anybody knows of any changes that should be included, please contact Franklin or post here, thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rogmi

What's the long-term intent for showing other NR termini?
I'm not sure.

One of the problems is the amount of detail to fit in for some termini where there isn't much space on the map. One way around this would be to extend the approach tracks and to have the actual terminal detail shown separately in a box elsewhere on the map where there is space.

Another problem I see is being able to draw a terminus to scale. The ideal scenario would be to have access to an large scale Ordnance Survey map of the area that is under cover. Any track that is in the open can easily be referenced by using Google Earth (or at least as far as GE is up to date).
Having said that, it's not impossible to do. Track diagrams (including termini) are shown in the NR Sectional Appendices and, whilst they are not to scale and often the positioning of points and junctions seem to bear little resemblance to the actual layout, they are useful when used with another reference - GE for open sections, and a site visit in the case of termini.

And of course, it’s time consuming.

I must admit that I’d prefer to have the termini shown just for completeness. I use the PDF version of the map very frequently as a reference and the missing approach tracks would be useful.

carto.metro

Hello,
Roger replied well. The main problem is the available space. The actual scale don't allow to draw termini inside. I see only 2 options :
- add multiple boxes on the sides for each Station as proposed by Rogmi. Not ideal and satisfactory because it breaks the browsing /navigation...
- redraw the entire map at (almost) scale to have enough space. A full-time job for months... and I'm even not sure that the result will be good, because 'at scale' means drawing everything much thinner which will required to zoom more to see tracks. And as a consequence you lose an 'overall' view on an area.. (am I clear ?)

So, nothing planned in a short future for NR termini.. sorry.

rebmcr

Established Member
Your reply got me thinking... does PDF support LODs (Level of Detail)? If it did, the zoomed-out view could be as present, and as the viewport shrinks, the full layouts could 'pop in'. Not even close to a quick addition, however!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A quick query if I may. How do trains get from West Ealing platform 5 (the bay) to the northbound platforms at Drayton Green etc? Or is the branch effectively single track now?

Rogmi

There is a short stretch of single line track on the curve between West Ealing Junction and Drayton Green Junction, at the West Ealing side. Added to Franklin to do list for next update

carto.metro

Your reply got me thinking... does PDF support LODs (Level of Detail)? If it did, the zoomed-out view could be as present, and as the viewport shrinks, the full layouts could 'pop in'. Not even close to a quick addition, however!

The PDF format allow layers and it's probably possible to automatically activate/deactivate one depending on the zoom level. But I'm almost sure that a lot of pdf viewer will not handle the feature correctly (as it requires to activate scripts).
And also, I'm using inkscape to draw and generate the PDF. It's and excellent opensource software but it don't support layers in the PDF export unfortunately.

Still, I need to find a way to make pdf layers with opensource tools, it could be useful to disable tracks number or opening dates on demand...

rebmcr

Established Member
The PDF format allow layers and it's probably possible to automatically activate/deactivate one depending on the zoom level. But I'm almost sure that a lot of pdf viewer will not handle the feature correctly (as it requires to activate scripts).
And also, I'm using inkscape to draw and generate the PDF. It's and excellent opensource software but it don't support layers in the PDF export unfortunately.

Still, I need to find a way to make pdf layers with opensource tools, it could be useful to disable tracks number or opening dates on demand...

Very informative thank-you. If you do get it working, maybe it could also improve the performance when zoomed out (though I'm not sure whether it's just my machine, or just Adobe Reader DC, that causes it for me).

Rogmi

I think the redraw speed performance when zooming or scrolling with the downloaded PDF copy of the map is a technical issue (Franklin could confirm the reason) rather than PC related, although obviously a faster PC helps. There was a noticeable difference between v3.7 and 3.8. In 3.7 redraw was almost instant, whereas in 3.8 there was a noticeable lag, albeit a small one.

sprunt

Thanks for the update, and thanks generally for the site - it's really useful. Are there plans to include maps for any cities not currently covered?

carto.metro

Nop, I'm trying to keep up to date current maps first ;)

I've fix the PDF performance, it should be as fast as v3.7, Could-you confirm Roger ?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Thanks for the update, and thanks generally for the site - it's really useful. Are there plans to include maps for any cities not currently covered?
whilst I've seen the answer, personally I think the two that I'd love to see would be New York and Tokyo.

Or for a quick one, Glasgow (Subway only)

Rogmi

whilst I've seen the answer, personally I think the two that I'd love to see would be New York and Tokyo.

Or for a quick one, Glasgow (Subway only)

You sneaked a new upload of 3.9 PDF without telling me 8-)
Just downloaded 3.9 again and can confirm that it is at least as fast as 3.7

For anyone that downloaded the 3.9 map and find it sluggish (like 3.8), download the map again and you will be pleased - I am!

carto.metro

Status
Not open for further replies.