• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Catering Trolley on Virgin Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
How often do VT provide a catering trolley in standard class ? Been a while since ive seen one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
I haven't seen a trolley for a little while, but on my most recent journeys (Glasgow trains) the shop staff went through standard class taking orders.

calc7

Established Member
I don't think I've seen one in the last year, and I travel on Virgin very frequently. Staff do come round taking orders on a notepad on some services.

mullin

Only time I ever see the trolley is if there has been delays and free drinks are being handed out - with free hot drinks from the shop :)

Any other time it's a note of the seat number and a coffee / drink order taken at your seat, but doesn't happen all the time...

calc7

Established Member
Only time I ever see the trolley is if there has been delays and free drinks are being handed out - with free hot drinks from the shop :)

Any other time it's a note of the seat number and a coffee / drink order taken at your seat, but doesn't happen all the time...

Also good at the London end of the train as the alcohol trolley makes a very frequent appearance on these occasions. :D:oops:
Contrasted with East Coast where a delay is seemingly taken as an opportunity for overtime for staff with zero customer service happening (yes, I am bitter!)

scotsman

Established Member
Shop staff have the choice of running the shop or the trolley. However, since getting the trolley out means shutting the shop, most don't bother.

bengolding

My Euston to New St service earlier this week had a trolley in Standard, which was advertised shortly on departure. There must have been a surplus of staff as the Shop was also open during this time, as well as 3 First Class hosts.

WestCoast

Established Member
My Euston to New St service earlier this week had a trolley in Standard, which was advertised shortly on departure. There must have been a surplus of staff as the Shop was also open during this time, as well as 3 First Class hosts.

I was on an early Lancaster - Birmingham New Street Voyager a few weeks ago, the shop was open, but a catering assistant came to take orders in Standard and then delivered them. However, the strange thing was it seemed like every time there was an announcement (next station or welcome to passengers joining at ___) it was a different person!

craigwilson

Got the 0940 Euston-Manchester Piccadilly last Friday and the shop was open as well as someone coming through the train with a trolley selling tea/coffee and biscuits. And I was in coach A...

WatcherZero

Established Member
Never seen one. I also miss the choice of hot food the shops used to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.