• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cathedrals Express to Cardiff 1 March 2018 - ECS arrangements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alastair

I saw that the stock off this railtour is due to trundle off to Barry (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U52215/2018/03/01/advanced) and return (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U52216/2018/03/01/advanced) a bit later. What happens to the loco - will it be turned round somehow in a manoeuvre that's not on realtime, and if so, what will that manoeuvre be?

Thanks in anticipation.

The whole train appears to be turning on Maindee triangle http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U52214/2018/03/01/advanced during the outward trip so will arrive in Cardiff facing correct way for return trip. There will apparently be a diesel on the back all day to facilitate this. Sorry, I don't know what happens to the loco at Cardiff. 70013 is rumoured to have some kind of mechanical problem last night which lead to it's return trip from Windsor on a Steam Dreams trip to be cancelled - hope whatever it is can be fixed in time for Cardiff trip.

Envoy

Established Member
I am surprised that there appears to be no way of flipping the loco around on the triangle south of Canton depot. Failing that, it could perhaps have gone via the City Line to Radyr, then reversed back via Cathays & Queen Street to Canton to end up facing east.

headshot119

Established Member
I am surprised that there appears to be no way of flipping the loco around on the triangle south of Canton depot. Failing that, it could perhaps have gone via the City Line to Radyr, then reversed back via Cathays & Queen Street to Canton to end up facing east.

You can turn a loco on the Penarth triangle. It would be rather unlikely to turn a loco by going all the way to Radyr and back.

Envoy

Established Member
Many thanks for response concerning turning the loco. Does seem odd for it to go at the rear into Cardiff.

alastair

Train now cancelled. Apparently NR will not allow the locomotive to move from Norwich due to the inclement weather conditions. Tour organisers also concerned about weather conditions on Thursday.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Half hoping 70013 doesn't get another run so I can say I was on it's last mainline run.

gwr4090

Locos used to be turned on the Canton triangle, but I believe that a trailing crossover just south of Canton has been removed, so engines now have to go all the way to Cadoxton to cross frrom one line to the other. It is now usually easier to go to the Maindee triangle at Newport to turn.

Envoy

Established Member
Locos used to be turned on the Canton triangle, but I believe that a trailing crossover just south of Canton has been removed, so engines now have to go all the way to Cadoxton to cross frrom one line to the other. It is now usually easier to go to the Maindee triangle at Newport to turn.
Well, what a daft decision that was - removing a switchover south of Canton and thus steam locomotives are unable to be turned around.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Train now cancelled. Apparently NR will not allow the locomotive to move from Norwich due to the inclement weather conditions. Tour organisers also concerned about weather conditions on Thursday.

I think it is now happening in 14 June? I also see from the times of what was meant to have been 01 March train that there is a water stop of almost an hour on the return journey.

Crawley Ben

I'm booked on next weeks Cathederals Express trip from Horsham to Sailsbury. Am wondering if this that's likely to be cancelled too as well due to the weather atm...

Cheers

Ben

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I'm booked on next weeks Cathederals Express trip from Horsham to Sailsbury. Am wondering if this that's likely to be cancelled too as well due to the weather atm...

Cheers

Ben
It is still showing on UK Steam info, they will no doubt decide in the next few days, hopefully this bad weather will have gone by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.