• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CDR - is break of journey required at destination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railjet

OK, so I want to go to Chester and Shrewsbury on a day return from Birmingham.

Cheapest solution is to buy a CDR to Wrexham (£12.10) which allows routeing through Crewe or Shrewsbury.

I want to travel Birmingham-Crewe (break)
Crewe-Chester (break)
Chester-Wrexham (destination, no break)-Shrewsbury (break)
Shrewsbury-Birmingham

Is this allowed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
OK, so I want to go to Chester and Shrewsbury on a day return from Birmingham.

Cheapest solution is to buy a CDR to Wrexham (£12.10) which allows routeing through Crewe or Shrewsbury.

I want to travel Birmingham-Crewe (break)
Crewe-Chester (break)
Chester-Wrexham (destination, no break)-Shrewsbury (break)
Shrewsbury-Birmingham

Is this allowed?

I haven't checked the routeing but if it is a valid route then yes you use the ticket in the way you described. There is no requirement for you to break your journey at the destination of your ticket, you can just continue on the train through Wrexham if you wish.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think instead of "break of journey" you mean stop short, and "at destination" you mean at a point before the destination.

Anyway yes you can do this.

You can break journey unlimited number of times, and you can stop short of the destination on the ticket. (Imagine if you were not allowed to stop short of your destination, what would they do to stop you? follow you round all day and ask you to go back to the station?:lol:)

You can in fact stop short even when break of journey is not allowed, on the basis that you can be let through barriers (where they exist) to use station facilities. For example at BHM, you can legitimately go round the corner to M&S. Quite apart from the fact the drones there will accept a parking ticket from 1970 issued in another country as a legitimate travel document ;), no-one is going to spy on you to stop you walking past M&S and out into the street. I know the anti-civil liberties brigade would like to put a stop to such things, but I don't see how they ever can, unless we all become electronically tagged (but I don't think new Labour will be in power long enough to restrict our civil liberties that much)

Railjet

I think instead of "break of journey" you mean stop short, and "at destination" you mean at a point before the destination.

I meant it exactly as I said. I buy a CDR Birmingham-Wrexham, outward via Crewe, Chester; return via Shrewsbury. I do not get off the train at Wrexham. (I called this break of journey - I don't know how better to describe it). I am certainly not stopping short. The other breaks of journey are really irrelevant.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK, you are saying you want to go via Wrexham but not get off there? That's fine, they can't force you to get off (which in itself isn't a break of journey anyway) and they can't force you to leave the station (which also wouldn't be breaking it as it would be already over) either.

The guard may find it odd when you don't get off at Wrexham though! But it's perfectly valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.