• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central 158s - Where are they all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Central liveried 158s seem to be one of the most common units in the country as a whole - they seem to be part of many TOCs' fleet. Where exactly are they all and how far out of region can they be found?

I went on a Penzance-Plymouth Wessex service last week worked by one, still in full Central branding with the website address!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Jordy said:
On the Grimsby to Manchester airport line most of the time ;) :p

Jordy
I know....

Everytime I go out to take some photos, at least 1 comes along. I can't get away from them even if I go to Leeds, York or Newcastle....

devon_metro

Established Member
laverack222 said:
I went on a Penzance-Plymouth Wessex service last week worked by one, still in full Central branding with the website address!

Must have been the unit i saw at Newton Abbot Plat 1 the other day!

Jim

Established Member
laverack222 said:
Central liveried 158s seem to be one of the most common units in the country as a whole - they seem to be part of many TOCs' fleet. Where exactly are they all and how far out of region can they be found?

860 IIRC.

Correct julian, after SWT invested in them, they were found once AFAIK, before the direct service was restarted

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Harry Potter said:
Everytime I go out to take some photos, at least 1 comes along. I can't get away from them even if I go to Leeds, York or Newcastle....

That reminds me of two things:
1. The other day, the morning Transpennine Express service that splits at York to Scarborough and Newcastle was formed of two units. One scruffy CT 158 which was sent to Newcastle and one three car TPE unit to Scarborough. An odd allocation in my opinion, surely a greater capacity would be required to Newcastle, as well as the first class facilities.
2. That awful former Scotrail BR 158 is back! I thought that had gone ages ago :lol:

Jordy

Established Member
2) Aagh! Noooo, thats thing likes to follow me as well, hadn't seen it for a while though!!

Jordy

ChrisM

158795 was working between Walsall and Wolverhampton when i was up there Monday,normally only see 150s.

AlexS

Established Member
One diagram of the two on the Walsall Wellington services are formed of 150, the other is a 170 or 158. Central have 10 158s left, the rest have gone to Arriva Trains Wales, Transpennine Express, South West Trains and Wessex Trains.

steve158

one of the borrowed 158s by wessex was on the 1436 Worcester-Bristol this afternoon. give us our decent trains back!!

AlexS

Established Member
I think they might be keeping these particular 10, very useful for where the 170s cannot tread (some bits in lincolnshire apparently). Also work the Shrewsbury line a fair bit.

steve158

170s have been on most lincolnshire routes(on the joint- Lincoln to Sleaford - much to the guard's disgust one day at nottingham i saw)and when they first came out they were on lincoln-grimsby.

birmingham-salop seems to be permenantly 170s and walsall-wolverhampton 150s now.

AlexS

Established Member
Not quite - I see every Salop line unit booked. Walsall to Wellington line services always have one run 150, and one run 170/5 or 158 (evens really as to whether you get a 158 or a 170/5 - last time I set foot on the train was Wednesday and it was 158795 on 1253 Telford to Walsall, the week before it was 170511). The Birmingham New Street to Shrewsbury services are worked by anything from a 158 to any variety of a 170 - today I've seen two 158 worked services, and the rest are 170/5 or 170/6, with the MML 170/1 and Porterbrook 170/3s tending to appear by the evening.

156s work occasionally - they might work in place of a 170/5 or 158 on a Wellington to Walsall diagram, or if they've appeared on a Stansted train instead of a probably broken Turbostar, they can appear on the Shrewsbury runs later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.