• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central London - Bromley

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has accidentally bought tickets from London U1 to Bromley North and return instead of to Bromley South.

I know they're only a short distance apart but the timings are important.

Would he have any problems using the tickets? if so, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Would he have any problems using the tickets? if so, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Yes he will have problems. Bromley stations have never been linked for ticketing purposes. North is in zone 4 while South is in zone 5 so the fare is not the same either.

nicobobinus

I'd expect they will have problems - as well as being distinct stations (there is no 'Bromley group') the stations are in different travelcard zones - South is in z5 and would attract a higher fare from Central London than B North which is in 4.

More knowledgable members will be able to advise exactly what options your friend has, but either exchanging or excessing the tickets to Bromley South shouldn't be a problem if they can get to a ticket office (ideally the one they visited in the first place) before they commence their journey. If they were issued from a tube station ticket machine I'm not sure what the ipad-toting staff members do in terms of ticket exchanging but I'm sure the option exists - providing they can find one.

It is a risky strategy and one I can't recommend but they may be able to just go to Bromley South with the tickets and rely on the discretion of the gateline staff to let them pay the excess there, but that is by no means a given - the station is a Penalty Fare area and the passenger is liable to having to cough up £20 if the staff member wants to go 'by the book'.

Last edited:
Thanks, both.

That's what I guessed. I think he bought the tickets online, not sure who from, which probably complicates things.

Could an exchange be done at Euston?
If so, would there be an admin charge?

horizonflame

A couple of years ago I used to travel on a ticket to Sundridge Park and travelled via Victoria and used the walking interchange between Bromley South and Bromley North. From memory this came under 3 miles more than the shortest route.

If that's still the case you could get an over distance excess to Sundridge Park and simply break your journey during the interchange walk.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thanks, both.

That's what I guessed. I think he bought the tickets online, not sure who from, which probably complicates things.

Could an exchange be done at Euston?
If so, would there be an admin charge?

The admin charge is £10 and will wipe out the value of the ticket. The above poster has a good idea - over distance excess to Sundridge Park and use the walking interchange. No admin fees charged for an over distance excess.

Bromley South and North are 10 minutes' walk.

Thanks again - that looks like his best solution.
A final query - will any station be able to issue the over-distance excess?

Veteran Member
Depending on the friend's actual destination, any mobility issues, and their confidence in using the NR ticketing system (seeGreatKingRat's post), they might be as well off going to North. As AlterEgo says, the two stations aren't far apart.

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
I think you'll struggle to find anywhere willing to issue that excess, and even if you did you will need to be prepared for an argument at the Bromley South barriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.