• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central trains rolling stock question from the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst2cornwall

Just been having a chat with someone about the old days of central trains before london midland. I used to catch a regular train from worcester to hereford that originated at new street. You know the one? green, smeel, noisy 150 with no carpets, no tables and 2 doors per unit with a compartment in the center of the unit, and 1 either side of the doors. But one of the trains I used to catch was differnet. Still central but with carpets, some tables and door at the extreme end of each coach, small vestibules and then internal doors into the passenger compartment. I was a student at the time and seem to remember it was a 2 car unit with 1 coach being smoking nd 1 being non-smoking. Any ideas? I was into trains at the time but just can't remember any more detils, it was all about the HST for me at that time, and my mission was to try and get one of them between worcester and hereford etc if posible. I know the smelly green chap was a 150 as LM were using them until not long back on the snow hill line.

cheers in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bronzeonion

Just been having a chat with someone about the old days of central trains before london midland. I used to catch a regular train from worcester to hereford that originated at new street. You know the one? green, smeel, noisy 150 with no carpets, no tables and 2 doors per unit with a compartment in the center of the unit, and 1 either side of the doors. But one of the trains I used to catch was differnet. Still central but with carpets, some tables and door at the extreme end of each coach, small vestibules and then internal doors into the passenger compartment. I was a student at the time and seem to remember it was a 2 car unit with 1 coach being smoking nd 1 being non-smoking. Any ideas? I was into trains at the time but just can't remember any more detils, it was all about the HST for me at that time, and my mission was to try and get one of them between worcester and hereford etc if posible. I know the smelly green chap was a 150 as LM were using them until not long back on the snow hill line.

cheers in advance

By the sounds of the description of the internal layout, that would be a Class 158 Sprinter. I'm no expert on Sprinters but I'm pretty sure they never had any accomodation for smoking.

CC 72100

Established Member

cheers in advance

Could it also be a 156?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Central also had a few Class 156's, but the description probably fits Class 158 a bit better.

CC 72100

Established Member
Central also had a few Class 156's, but the description probably fits Class 158 a bit better.

True. But most likely one of the two. Ages since I last had a 156, on fact, it was probably when it was Central Trains when I last had one! :o

hst2cornwall

could be, in that case, what happened to all the 158s from central because they were using 150/153s until not long ago and they did have smoking coaches on them for sure.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
could be, in that case, what happened to all the 158s from central because they were using 150/153s until not long ago and they did have smoking coaches on them for sure.

During the life of the franchise, some 158s were transferred away to Wales & Borders and Northern Rail - but additional units arrived from First TPE as the 185s came online. At the end of the Central franchise, the 158 fleet passed to East Midlands Trains for their longer distance services between Liverpool and Norwich, on which Central had used 158s and 170s.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
True. But most likely one of the two. Ages since I last had a 156, on fact, it was probably when it was Central Trains when I last had one! :o

The comment about internal doors points more towards the 158. The 156s do have internal doors, but other than those in the centre corridor connection between the units they are of the heavier sliding type - certainly those in the luggage area were intended to be locked when the area was used for the conveyance of parcels. I've never seen the internal doors closed on a 156 - so therefore I'm more inclined towards it being a 158!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I dont think they ever had smoking coaches but it fits a 158. When central was split they were all given to East Midlands Trains, mostly for their norwich to liverpool service.

TheBigD

Established Member
Both the 156's and the 158's had half a carriage of smoking accomodation when new.

hst2cornwall

Thanks for all the info, I think its moe likely the 158 because I remember the parcel compartment on the 156 and it wasn't one of those. They had gangways at both ends if that helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.