• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Centrebus child age inconsistencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
I've just noticed that Centrebus use an age limit of under 14 for child tickets with ID and under 11 for those without unless a "special local scheme operates."

The special schemes seem to be:

Hertfordshire: 11-15 if the child holds a Savercard
Derbyshire: Child rate up to 14 and reduced rate up to 18 with B Line card.
West Yorkshire: Under 16 or under 18 if in full time education with photocard.

http://www.centrebus.info/Pages/YoungPersons.aspx

That seems a lot of variation for an operator that's not that huge. It seems like they've taken the Derbyshire under 14 and implemented it nationwide without implementing the reduced rate for older children still in full time education nationwide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
Not very consistent, is it?

Having said that, one of the bus operators in my area doesn't really care, I've seen people who look about 30 get a child fare without question!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Having said that, one of the bus operators in my area doesn't really care, I've seen people who look about 30 get a child fare without question!

I see that happen quite a lot. Occasionally, some drivers round here will ask how old people are, but so long as they say 15 - they get the ticket.

pemma

Veteran Member

In Macclesfield I once saw a man board a bus show the driver an over 60s pass, the driver refused to accept it, he got off and handed it to an older man saying "he wouldn't let me use it dad."

causton

Established Member
In Hertfordshire Savercards are pretty much mandatory to get a child fare. I was still in primary school and was 11 and got asked to show one - was later let off though.

Also, if you are in sixth form, school or college in Herts past 15 you can get child fare with a Savercard but have to apply for a new one each academic year. The problem here is that (almost) *every* pupil will turn 16 during the school Year 11, so (almost) *every* pupil has to pay again for another Savercard from their 16th birthday to the end of the school year where their compulsory education ends!

WestCoast

Established Member
In Macclesfield I once saw a man board a bus show the driver an over 60s pass, the driver refused to accept it, he got off and handed it to an older man saying "he wouldn't let me use it dad."

I don't know how they inspect over 60/disabled passes in Cheshire (it seems to vary a lot across the country!) but in Lancashire the pass is not shown to the driver, it's scanned on the ticket machine and a ticket is issued after a destination is stated. So the driver never sees the photo. It seems to confuse people who aren't local as they want to show their pass instead and/or they don't say the destination...

Last edited:

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
I don't know how they inspect over 60/disabled passes in Cheshire (it seems to vary a lot across the country!) but in Lancashire the pass is not shown to the driver, it's scanned on the ticket machine and a ticket is issued after a destination is stated. So the driver never sees the photo. It seems to confuse people who aren't local as they want to show their pass instead and/or they don't say the destination...

Details of the card is on the Ticket Machine screen that the drivers see (thats what happens in the WM area)

In Leeds this happens on Arriva but not First

causton

Established Member
In Hertfordshire:

Old Wayfarer machines: state destination, show pass, ticket issued.
New Init machines (with real-time GPS tracking etc)*: 'touch in' on reader, no need to state destination, no ticket issued, screen just flashes up green 'Pass accepted' (or similar) :)

*Uno, Centrebus and Metroline have these new machines in some places.
Metroline and Sullivan Buses have some Wayfarer machines which will not issue a ticket but will simply deduct a flat fare, driver still checks pass manually though. :)

tbtc

Veteran Member
Presumably it depends on the local authority's restrictions (esp what the local authority require in age/proof before they will reimburse operators for the remainder of the fare)?

Established Member
Met about 30 such child ticket holders today, mostly bearded and a foot taller than me.

Was in a foul mood today so most were hurled out the doors. Allegedly :)

MCW

Presumably it depends on the local authority's restrictions (esp what the local authority require in age/proof before they will reimburse operators for the remainder of the fare)?

could be a factor, if it is of any importance to anyone I can always email the commercial director and find out if anyone so wishes. I know him from my campaigning work and we are on good talking terms.

pemma

Veteran Member

The problem created is (like with rail services) cross-boundary services.

For instance, High Peak run Macclesfield-Buxton, a 15 year old in Buxton can get a reduced rate fare to Macclesfield (with ID) but a 15 year old in Macclesfield can't get a reduced fare to Buxton because they don't have a local authority ID card so the a reduced fare is not available.

With rail I quite often hear a few Manchester based conductors asking children in Cheshire for their (PTE) proof of age card. The children living in the Knutsford rea going to school in the Altrincham area can get them and vice versa, so some conductors seem to assume that all secondary school aged children on the Mid Cheshire line should have one.

tbtc

Veteran Member
The problem created is (like with rail services) cross-boundary services.

For instance, High Peak run Macclesfield-Buxton, a 15 year old in Buxton can get a reduced rate fare to Macclesfield (with ID) but a 15 year old in Macclesfield can't get a reduced fare to Buxton because they don't have a local authority ID card so the a reduced fare is not available.

With rail I quite often hear a few Manchester based conductors asking children in Cheshire for their (PTE) proof of age card. The children living in the Knutsford rea going to school in the Altrincham area can get them and vice versa, so some conductors seem to assume that all secondary school aged children on the Mid Cheshire line should have one.

...but it's not a Centrebus issue, it's nationwide, because there's no agreement on

• What ages kids can travel for reduced price
  • What ages kids can travel for free
  • What ages kids require a local authority (etc) pass as proof of ID to get this concessionary ticket

As these things as up to the local authorities there are bound to be discrepancies, regardless of whether its Centrebus or anyone else.

For example in Barnsley at the moment kids can travel free (as long as they have their MiCard) but not in the rest of South Yorkshire, which causes issues on some "cross boundary" services. But if that's what the councils are paying for then the operators have to comply (if they want to receive concessionary reimbursement).

The fact that West Yorkshire allow seventeen year olds in education to get cheap travel is irrelevent if you are running a bus in Hertfordshire because all that matters in Hertfordshire is what Hertfordshire council will pay operators for.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The fact that West Yorkshire allow seventeen year olds in education to get cheap travel is irrelevent if you are running a bus in Hertfordshire because all that matters in Hertfordshire is what Hertfordshire council will pay operators for.

Indeed - and in West Yorkshire the cards are usually issued to the September after the 18th Birthday. So I had half fare until I was 18 and 7 months old whilst my sister had one until she was 18 and 3 weeks.

My local operator is (Transdev) Keighley & District. If you have a WYPTE card you can get half fare in West Yorkshire but as soon as you go over the border it increases to 2/3 of the adult fare. These are valid for journeys entirely within North Yorkshire at 2/3 fare.

If you have a North Yorkshire pass it's valid for 2/3 fares in North Yorkshire and for cross-border fares. It's not valid for any reduction in fares for journeys within West Yorkshire.

And that's just for buses from 1 depot...

tbtc

Veteran Member
Indeed - and in West Yorkshire the cards are usually issued to the September after the 18th Birthday. So I had half fare until I was 18 and 7 months old whilst my sister had one until she was 18 and 3 weeks.

My local operator is (Transdev) Keighley & District. If you have a WYPTE card you can get half fare in West Yorkshire but as soon as you go over the border it increases to 2/3 of the adult fare. These are valid for journeys entirely within North Yorkshire at 2/3 fare.

If you have a North Yorkshire pass it's valid for 2/3 fares in North Yorkshire and for cross-border fares. It's not valid for any reduction in fares for journeys within West Yorkshire.

And that's just for buses from 1 depot...

It must be a nightmare for drivers - and you know that if you charge one of the little angels the wrong fare then their parents will be straight on the phone to the local newspaper being "outraged" etc

WestCoast

Established Member
It's amazing how much difference there is when it comes to policy!

I don't think buses in Lancashire or Cumbria receive any funding for child fares. From trips with my brother; Stagecoach charge about 60% of the adult fare for singles and don't do discounted day or weekly tickets, Preston Bus has a flat fare of 90p on commerical services and doesn't have discounted day tickets, Blackpool Transport is always half fare on the buses (not sure about tram) and has child day/weekly tickets and the independents tend to also have half fare singles.

There isn't a pass scheme to speak of, but there really should be to stop people who are clearly older than 15, I've only heard one or two drivers ask for DOB!

Status
Not open for further replies.